News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Leap day "traditions"

Started by Poiponen13, June 20, 2023, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 20, 2023, 01:23:18 PM
As far as intercalary stuff goes, though, it matters quite a bit to people in power, since, especially if there is no set system for deciding when they will take place, they can lengthen or shorten their time in office, or that of their rivals, and so on.

When I said "people" I meant normies.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

I'm stilling wanting an explanation as to why the U.S. should lockdown for the next February 29th.

Rothman

Eesh.  Another painful crap thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 20, 2023, 11:29:13 AMYou get paid bi-weekly I suppose? I get paid semi-monthly, so no changes for me.
Semi-monthly, but one paycheck will cover February 16-29 rather than February 16-28.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2023, 01:25:59 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 20, 2023, 01:23:18 PM
As far as intercalary stuff goes, though, it matters quite a bit to people in power, since, especially if there is no set system for deciding when they will take place, they can lengthen or shorten their time in office, or that of their rivals, and so on.

When I said "people" I meant normies.

My apologies.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

My wife and I decided it would be fun to get married on February 29, so we did. That means that although we've been married for 7 years our upcoming anniversary will be our 3rd anniversary.

This has the benefit of making our anniversaries more special (since they only come once every four years) and impossible to forget, because they always come around presidential primary voting (which in Oklahoma takes place on Super Tuesday, and in Nevada sometime in February).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2023, 05:42:16 PM
My wife and I decided it would be fun to get married on February 29, so we did.

That's a pretty cool way to choose the date.

I once had a boss who got married on Friday the 13th, because nobody else had reserved for that day.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

My wife and I decided it would be fun to get married on February 29, so we did. That means that although we've been married for 7 years our upcoming anniversary will be our 3rd anniversary.

That is fantastic. Let me wish you the best a bit early.

The custodian of the building my office used to be in had a birthday of February 29th. He wasn't the type to paint the town red, but since his birthday only comes along every four years, he definitely made an exception. In 2020, this meant that he got one last hurrah before everything shut down.

(Also, just to nitpick, if you were married in 2016, next year would be your second anniversary.)
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 20, 2023, 05:50:31 PM

That is fantastic. Let me wish you the best a bit early.

[...]

(Also, just to nitpick, if you were married in 2016, next year would be your second anniversary.)

Thanks! And duh, I can't count, apparently. (Glad you noticed this instead of my wife. :P )
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

I've always wondered how people who were born on 2/29 celebrated their birthdays in years where that month only has 28 days. Do they celebrate on 2/28, 3/1, or no date at all?

Quote from: Poiponen13 on June 20, 2023, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2023, 11:20:18 AM
Quote from: skluth on June 20, 2023, 11:16:48 AM
It should be moved to June 30th so it feels like an extra day of summer instead of an extra day in winter

But we already have a June 30th.
June 31st.
How about August 32nd? :sombrero:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on June 20, 2023, 10:15:20 PM
I've always wondered how people who were born on 2/29 celebrated their birthdays in years where that month only has 28 days. Do they celebrate on 2/28, 3/1, or no date at all?

Quote from: Poiponen13 on June 20, 2023, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2023, 11:20:18 AM
Quote from: skluth on June 20, 2023, 11:16:48 AM
It should be moved to June 30th so it feels like an extra day of summer instead of an extra day in winter

But we already have a June 30th.
June 31st.
How about August 32nd? :sombrero:

How about making Smarch reality?

Amaury

Makes birthdays interesting, too. If you were born on February 29, when do you celebrate your birthday on non-leap years? February 28 or March 1? I've seen people say both dates.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

kphoger

Quote from: Amaury on June 20, 2023, 11:21:38 PM
Makes birthdays interesting, too. If you were born on February 29, when do you celebrate your birthday on non-leap years? February 28 or March 1? I've seen people say both dates.

In my world, birthday celebrations rarely happen on the actual birthday anyway.  They usually get moved to whatever nearby weekend day is clear on the calendar.
Male pronouns, please.

elsmere241

My wife and I first talked on the phone on Sunday, February 29th, 2004, having met online the previous Friday.  We consider it one of our anniversaries.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.