News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Nevada License Plate Revoked for Defaming Californians

Started by ZLoth, July 11, 2023, 01:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From Newsweek:

Nevada License Plate Revoked for Defaming Californians
QuoteThe Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Nevada has slammed the brakes on a license plate it believes has "defamed" everyone from California.

The license plate reading GOBK2CA–thought to mean "go back to California"–was revoked by Nevada's DMV in May, but the owner plans to appeal the decision this week, the Associated Press reported on Sunday.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SP Cook

The message should be the state motto of Nevada, and about 10 other states.

Don't vote for what you fled. 

Road Hog

SectorZ

Quote from: SP Cook on July 11, 2023, 01:45:33 PM
The message should be the state motto of Nevada, and about 10 other states.

Don't vote for what you fled.

I thought it was a myth that the people fleeing were bringing their politics with them?

wanderer2575

I assume there's no law prohibiting a bumper sticker that reads GOBK2CA or TRMPSUX or FCKBLM (all fully spelled out) or whatever, so this skirmish seems like a waste of resources.

Here's an idea:  Let's eliminate custom license plate numbers; everyone gets the six- or seven-character sequence pulled from the pile at random, like the old days.  Sure, the state will lose the money from the additional fees, but isn't that a small price to pay to be sure nobody is offended?

ETA:  I concede the differentiation between bumper stickers and government-issued plates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 11, 2023, 02:58:19 PM
Here's an idea:  Let's eliminate custom license plate numbers; everyone gets the six- or seven-character sequence pulled from the pile at random, like the old days.  Sure, the state will lose the money from the additional fees, but isn't that a small price to pay to be sure nobody is offended?

A 5 5 [Florida orange] R G Y.

What makes you think random letters and numbers can't contain offensive words?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

TheHighwayMan3561

I assume there's no law prohibiting a bumper sticker that reads GOBK2CA or TRMPSUX or FCKBLM (all fully spelled out) or whatever, so this skirmish seems like a waste of resources.

Bumper stickers are protected speech. License plate ownership is much more vague and thus those are different; it's why offensive ones can be denied in the first place, like vegans applying for "ILVTOFU" (I love tofu) and being rejected.

Minnesota had a controversy some years ago with a plate that said "FMUSLMS", which led to a system-wide review and revocation of several dozen vanity plates.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wanderer2575

Quote from: 1 on July 11, 2023, 02:59:01 PM

Of course they can.  But when they're not culled out as a result of someone specifically requesting that combination, it avoids the skirmish.  Although I intended that remark as sort of tongue-in-cheek.

kalvado

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 11, 2023, 03:27:48 PM

Of course they can.  But when they're not culled out as a result of someone specifically requesting that combination, it avoids the skirmish.  Although I intended that remark as sort of tongue-in-cheek.
Once you ban custom plates, you are going to see people hunting for "good" combinations, and open up possibility for corruption.
Besides  this way media is busy with cheap scandals instead of some investigative work. keeps things nice and quiet beneath the surface.

Big John

SectorZ

I think I've mentioned this here before, a few years back Massachusetts made "2WAT XX" plates, and I've seen at least 3. Sadly all driven by women who really should have read their plates out loud and asked for a new one.

MATraveler128

There was also this license plate that the New Hampshire DMV tried to revoke and Governor Sununu ended up basically telling the person that she was allowed to keep it.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on July 11, 2023, 03:41:17 PM
Once you ban custom plates, you are going to see people hunting for "good" combinations, and open up possibility for corruption.

Isn't that just called "Delaware"?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

There they go with that PC bullshit again!

Is nothing safe anymore?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LilianaUwU

This is literally Nineteen Eighty-Four.
–woman who never read the Nineteen Eighty-Four novel or watched the Nineteen Eighty-Four movie
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on July 11, 2023, 06:21:11 PM
"PB4WEGO" license plate

That's pretty funny, because this summer watching Twins games I've had to repeatedly watch this Cenex gas station ad with two guys in the store staring out at a license plate that says "PB4WEGO" trying to figure out the meaning.

Scott5114

Quote from: Henry on July 11, 2023, 11:55:07 PM
There they go with that PC bullshit again!

Is nothing safe anymore?

Macs are usually too expensive for state government.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

TheHighwayMan3561

I remember seeing a University of Virginia vanity plate that utilized the placement of the university's "V" swashbuckling logo in a clever way. The plate itself said "AGINA" which obviously slipped past the censors.

Road Hog

1995hoo

A few years ago, I was behind a car with Virginia plate "MRCAFYA." I was surprised the DMV allowed that one.

I remember a Dr. Gridlock column in the Washington Post some years back with a debate over whether it was OK for a license plate to say something "SUX" (e.g., "VPISUX" or "UVASUX" or the like). Younger people treat that word as synonymous with "stinks." Many older people consider it more offensive. I seem to recall an older lady was complaining about those plates being allowed. I don't remember what the DMV's conclusion was, though I suspect they allowed them under a rule more or less similar to the "eggshell plaintiff" principle in tort law.

Regarding "EAT THE" on a kids-first plate, I recall news reports saying Virginia revoked that plate because they said it connoted oral sex. They got very heavy ridicule over that one. I don't know whether they reversed their decision.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 13, 2023, 10:48:49 AM
Regarding "EAT THE" on a kids-first plate, I recall news reports saying Virginia revoked that plate because they said it connoted oral sex. They got very heavy ridicule over that one. I don't know whether they reversed their decision.

The license plate is problematic even if taken literally, with "eat" having the definition that the Donner Party did or what was propsed in the original "A Modest Proposal".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

hbelkins

A few years ago, I was behind a car with Virginia plate "MRCAFYA." I was surprised the DMV allowed that one.

I'm not getting it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2023, 12:41:51 PM

I'm not getting it.

"America! Fuck Yeah!"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.