News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nevada License Plate Revoked for Defaming Californians

Started by ZLoth, July 11, 2023, 01:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 13, 2023, 10:48:49 AM
A few years ago, I was behind a car with Virginia plate "MRCAFYA." I was surprised the DMV allowed that one.

I remember a Dr. Gridlock column in the Washington Post some years back with a debate over whether it was OK for a license plate to say something "SUX" (e.g., "VPISUX" or "UVASUX" or the like). Younger people treat that word as synonymous with "stinks." Many older people consider it more offensive. I seem to recall an older lady was complaining about those plates being allowed. I don't remember what the DMV's conclusion was, though I suspect they allowed them under a rule more or less similar to the "eggshell plaintiff" principle in tort law.

Regarding "EAT THE" on a kids-first plate, I recall news reports saying Virginia revoked that plate because they said it connoted oral sex. They got very heavy ridicule over that one. I don't know whether they reversed their decision.
I thought the EATTHE was for cannibalism.

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on July 13, 2023, 02:54:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 13, 2023, 10:48:49 AM
A few years ago, I was behind a car with Virginia plate "MRCAFYA." I was surprised the DMV allowed that one.

I remember a Dr. Gridlock column in the Washington Post some years back with a debate over whether it was OK for a license plate to say something "SUX" (e.g., "VPISUX" or "UVASUX" or the like). Younger people treat that word as synonymous with "stinks." Many older people consider it more offensive. I seem to recall an older lady was complaining about those plates being allowed. I don't remember what the DMV's conclusion was, though I suspect they allowed them under a rule more or less similar to the "eggshell plaintiff" principle in tort law.

Regarding "EAT THE" on a kids-first plate, I recall news reports saying Virginia revoked that plate because they said it connoted oral sex. They got very heavy ridicule over that one. I don't know whether they reversed their decision.
I thought the EATTHE was for cannibalism.

Apparently the DMV cited both:

QuoteThey sent Yeaman a letter demanding the plates back because 'some people initially view the plate, 'the vision of cannibalism of children conjures a truly horrible image. Others may view the message as being "vulgar in nature,' associated "eat the kids" with oral sex.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2039662/Virginia-driver-wants-EAT-THE-KIDS-FIRST.html
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: ZLoth on July 11, 2023, 01:27:01 PM
From Newsweek:

QuoteThe Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Nevada has slammed the brakes on a license plate it believes has "defamed" everyone from California.

The license plate reading GOBK2CA–thought to mean "go back to California"–was revoked by Nevada's DMV in May, but the owner plans to appeal the decision this week, the Associated Press reported on Sunday.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

LOL!  Of all things, I came across a vehicle with the following Illinois plates one day: "NO FIB".  It was sporting a Wisconsin Badger sticker as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

Quote from: Brandon on July 14, 2023, 06:22:04 AM
From Newsweek:

QuoteThe Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Nevada has slammed the brakes on a license plate it believes has "defamed" everyone from California.

The license plate reading GOBK2CA–thought to mean "go back to California"–was revoked by Nevada's DMV in May, but the owner plans to appeal the decision this week, the Associated Press reported on Sunday.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

LOL!  Of all things, I came across a vehicle with the following Illinois plates one day: "NO FIB".  It was sporting a Wisconsin Badger sticker as well.
A while back, it was noted that Wisconsin doesn't allow FIB on their plates.

kkt

Quote from: Big John on July 14, 2023, 07:13:14 AM
Quote from: Brandon on July 14, 2023, 06:22:04 AM
From Newsweek:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

A while back, it was noted that Wisconsin doesn't allow FIB on their plates.

Fib means something besides slang for lie?

hotdogPi

Quote from: kkt on July 14, 2023, 12:12:50 PM

Fucking Illinois Bastard (usually referring to bad drivers)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kkt

Quote from: 1 on July 14, 2023, 12:14:08 PM

Ah.  But you don't have to be from Illinois to be a FB on the road.  You can be a FB anywhere :)

Henry

Quote from: kkt on July 14, 2023, 07:43:03 PM
Quote from: 1 on July 14, 2023, 12:14:08 PM

Ah.  But you don't have to be from Illinois to be a FB on the road.  You can be a FB anywhere :)

You know, the I could also stand for "Idaho", "Indiana" or "Iowa".

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 13, 2023, 10:48:49 AMI remember a Dr. Gridlock column in the Washington Post some years back with a debate over whether it was OK for a license plate to say something "SUX" (e.g., "VPISUX" or "UVASUX" or the like). Younger people treat that word as synonymous with "stinks." Many older people consider it more offensive. I seem to recall an older lady was complaining about those plates being allowed. I don't remember what the DMV's conclusion was, though I suspect they allowed them under a rule more or less similar to the "eggshell plaintiff" principle in tort law.
I could've sworn I once saw a GA plate with the phrase "FLA SUX"(as in "Florida Sucks")  or something to that effect. And that would make perfect sense because those two Southern states despise each other to no end.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

steviep24

Kramer from Seinfeld had ASSMAN for his plates. I'm pretty sure NY doesn't allow that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nzxJ2vHYFk

kalvado

Quote from: steviep24 on July 17, 2023, 09:55:46 AM
Kramer from Seinfeld had ASSMAN for his plates. I'm pretty sure NY doesn't allow that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nzxJ2vHYFk
I believe anything can slip through. I saw something like "ifkmilfs" on the road once (NY). There were a few articles describing approval process, but looks like there are no dedicated and properly spoiled clerks doing checks. Urban dictionary lookup isn't watertight screening.

gonealookin

The Reno Gazette Journal has a fairly long list of other plates that Nevada's DMV License Committee has rejected recently, with some explanations of the reasoning.

Among the really obvious ones:

2HRNY: The applicant said it meant "to honor New York." The DMV didn't buy it.

5H1TA55: The applicant said it was for the five members in his family, and one Trans Am race car with No. 55. The committee's decision: Nah.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Revoke the plate and fine the owner for having expired registration.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on July 24, 2023, 03:48:36 PM
Revoke the plate and fine the owner for having expired registration.

Off with their head while we're at it...

plain

Sometimes on FB I'll see a pic of a box Chevy with Maryland plates that says "OMW2FYB". It's been popping up once or twice a year for the past few years now. I wonder if that car and plate is still around?

Btw, for anyone who doesn't know, it means "On My Way To Fuck Your Bitch".
Newark born, Richmond bred

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 24, 2023, 03:47:44 PM
My brother just sent this to me.

"Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, uh...horizontal axis..."

Quote from: plain on July 24, 2023, 06:54:32 PM
Btw, for anyone who doesn't know, it means "On My Way To Fuck Your Bitch".

I got most of the way there before the explanation, but I thought B was "brother". :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

From Newsweek:

FULL ARTICLE HERE
A judge overturned the ruling meaning the plate can remain.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.