News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How does some cars know when a road narrows?

Started by roadman65, September 11, 2023, 10:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I rented a Kia Seoul which displays a Yield icon on the dash when I enter a merge or lane drop.

Plus it displays a tiny speed limit sign at speed limit changes and even knows when a curve is approaching and displays a curve warning sign with the direction of the curve.

It can't be radar as you would need a fixed object to fixate on. So I'm guessing it has a camera with certain signs programmed into the computer that is activated when certain signs are caught by the camera and makes a match.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Road (traffic) sign recognition is a very common feature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic-sign_recognition

My friend's Suzuki Hustler makes a double beep noise anytime we approach a stop sign, displaying the stop sign on the dashboard.

For the record, the *Soul is not named after the South Korean city. Although admittedly, "Seoul" would be quite clever.

bwana39

My Fords have recognized the striping on the road.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Henry

I think cars and trucks equipped with hands-free driving (such as the various GM vehicles from the Sierra to the new Caddies) will also detect the changing road conditions and react accordingly.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.