News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mozilla on Cars and Privacy

Started by vdeane, September 13, 2023, 12:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

A report from Mozilla recently came out and they found that cars are the worst product with respect to user privacy they have ever reviewed.  Basically, avoid connecting your phone to your car or any car with connected features, because the automakers are taking all your data (and that of your passengers, too) and selling it.  One even charges a subscription fee to delete the data if you ever get rid of the car for any reason.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/articles/its-official-cars-are-the-worst-product-category-we-have-ever-reviewed-for-privacy/

Seriously, this is scary, and it's making me think I should keep my current (2014) Civic forever, no matter the cost or whether it becomes completely unsuitable for roadtrips at some point.  At least I don't have any of the connected car, cameras/microphones recording me, etc. garbage.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

If Mozilla made a car I would happily buy it (even though it would probably be a little slower and use up more space than other cars).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

I (maybe) want to know how the car is obtaining data on one's sex life.  Are there sensors in the back seat that measure how much it rocks and how much, uh, moisture gets on them?

kalvado

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 13, 2023, 01:30:50 PM
I (maybe) want to know how the car is obtaining data on one's sex life.  Are there sensors in the back seat that measure how much it rocks and how much, uh, moisture gets on them?
There are weight sensors in seats... 
On a more serious notice, Subaru (that's what I drive) can collect "audio recordings of vehicle occupants". On an optimistic side, that may be voice recognition function. On a pessimistic...
They don't like how Subaru app policy is written - but MySubaru was the only app I saw with less than 2 stars of reviews and it lasted a single ride for me.
Now, car knows its VIN, and that allows a lot of information to be extracted - owner name, address; if I used financing to buy it - SSN and bank info can be matched as well. 

Then each modern car has an independent internet connection, and possibly a GPS.. WHat goes over that network connection is beyond any control....

vdeane

Incidentally, there isn't a way for a system to listen for voice commands but not pick up other audio.  As a practical matter, it hears all, it's just a question of whether it's recorded and/or phones home when not responding to a command.

As for the sex life thing?  Probably an overzealous lawyer (as noted on this week's Security Now) adding it in "just in case", but the technology certainly exists that it could be inferred.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on September 13, 2023, 09:10:18 PM
Incidentally, there isn't a way for a system to listen for voice commands but not pick up other audio.  As a practical matter, it hears all, it's just a question of whether it's recorded and/or phones home when not responding to a command.

As for the sex life thing?  Probably an overzealous lawyer (as noted on this week's Security Now) adding it in "just in case", but the technology certainly exists that it could be inferred.
In my case voice recognition in a car is activated by a physical button, not by a codeword. So at least in theory there is no need to listen nonstop. But a physical switch for the microphone would be good

ZLoth

What does Mozilla say on the data that is collected from utilizing those streaming apps?

Also, it's not too much of a surprise that the car companies are trying to figure out how to "monetarize" post-purchase, and that they tend to use years-old yet proven technology. Some of it is due to the hash weather conditions, and some of it is safety related.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SectorZ

With cars coming from places like China and Vietnam, the worst is probably yet to come.

kalvado

Quote from: SectorZ on September 14, 2023, 07:24:02 AM
With cars coming from places like China and Vietnam, the worst is probably yet to come.
I really don't understand this fear.
Imagine your device hearing your wife complaining about your declining..ehh... vision, and device sends that to China. The worst thing they can do is show you some enl@... https://www.zennioptical.com/ ads.
Now imagine your Ford hearing you complain about crypto investment, and that information gets to Chase somehow... Good luck with your next car financing... 

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on September 13, 2023, 09:10:18 PM

While it's not an app to which I pay a lot of attention, I know the "Health" app on the iPhone has a section in which you can track your sexual activity (why anyone would do this is not clear to me except, perhaps, (a) if someone is really religious about tracking every calorie burned or (b) someone is practicing the rhythm method–the latter further relevant because the app also allows women to track their "time of the month," which is of course another feature to which I pay no attention). Apple says any data you enter in the app is encrypted and secure, but perhaps the concern is either that it's not true or that someone will get past whatever measures the app employs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2023, 10:10:29 AM
"Health" app on the iPhone has a section in which you can track your sexual activity //snip// the app is encrypted and secure, but perhaps the concern is either that it's not true or that someone will get past whatever measures the app employs.
I wonder how many, thinking someone is "watching", might overexaggerate the amount and duration of said activity.  :bigass:

Scott5114

...the latter further relevant because the app also allows women to track their "time of the month," which is of course another feature to which I pay no attention). Apple says any data you enter in the app is encrypted and secure, but perhaps the concern is either that it's not true or that someone will get past whatever measures the app employs.

I have seen some people online advocate against the use of digital period trackers out of a fear they may be subpoenaed by state governments to be used as evidence against someone seeking an abortion. I'm not sure if Apple's encryption would do anything to render complying with such a subpoena (whether for that reason or any other) impossible.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 14, 2023, 01:35:48 PM
...the latter further relevant because the app also allows women to track their "time of the month," which is of course another feature to which I pay no attention). Apple says any data you enter in the app is encrypted and secure, but perhaps the concern is either that it's not true or that someone will get past whatever measures the app employs.

I have seen some people online advocate against the use of digital period trackers out of a fear they may be subpoenaed by state governments to be used as evidence against someone seeking an abortion. I'm not sure if Apple's encryption would do anything to render complying with such a subpoena (whether for that reason or any other) impossible.
While government may be crazy, and Apple has it's privacy policies...
I never understood why such information (including health, personal finance etc) has to be in the cloud. Bank account is sort of in a cloud inherently, but my  records on how much is spent on milk, on alcohol, and prostitutes gas, and car repairs don't have to. 
If they are offline on my device government may still get a search warrant though. If they are on paper, government still may try to find them...  The Fifth amendment will protect you if nothing is on paper, though.... 

1995hoo

Quote from: GaryV on September 14, 2023, 10:17:18 AM
"Health" app on the iPhone has a section in which you can track your sexual activity //snip// the app is encrypted and secure, but perhaps the concern is either that it's not true or that someone will get past whatever measures the app employs.
I wonder how many, thinking someone is "watching", might overexaggerate the amount and duration of said activity.  :bigass:

Your use of that //snip// in the quotation has me envisioning either a vasectomy- or circumcision-related app, given the overall direction this discussion took. :-o
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on September 14, 2023, 01:48:30 PM
The Fifth amendment will protect you if nothing is on paper, though.... 
To an extent, not absolute.  The Fifth Amendment means they can't force you to disclose a password, but it doesn't prevent them from hacking in (if they have a warrant), or forcing you to use other means of unlocking your device (this is why security experts actually advise against using your face or fingerprint as the sole way of unlocking your devices).  And, of course, they can get anything in the cloud simply by asking for it from your cloud provider.  You don't get protections from that because you aren't testifying and the provider doesn't either because it isn't self-incrimination.  Quite a loophole, if you ask me.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on September 14, 2023, 09:00:15 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 14, 2023, 01:48:30 PM
The Fifth amendment will protect you if nothing is on paper, though.... 
To an extent, not absolute.  The Fifth Amendment means they can't force you to disclose a password, but it doesn't prevent them from hacking in (if they have a warrant), or forcing you to use other means of unlocking your device (this is why security experts actually advise against using your face or fingerprint as the sole way of unlocking your devices).  And, of course, they can get anything in the cloud simply by asking for it from your cloud provider.  You don't get protections from that because you aren't testifying and the provider doesn't either because it isn't self-incrimination.  Quite a loophole, if you ask me.
I was referring to situation where nothing is on paper and nothing is on the device - but everything is on your head.. then it really works!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.