News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Mods Modifying Posts

Started by seicer, September 05, 2013, 08:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Not going to name a name here, but if a mod modifies a post, please give the OP a heads up. It would make things much simpler. Perhaps even say, "I know what you mean, but can you phrase it a different way?"

Thanks.

rickmastfan67

Whenever I fix a quote for somebody, I do mention so in said post like this:

Fixed quote. - rmf67

agentsteel53

this wasn't a fix.  this was a deletion of a part of a post that was deemed non-contributory.

I agree that such a thing should be explicitly pointed out; the only reason I know that it wasn't Sherman himself who edited it is because the deleted content is in the "pastebin" of one of our admin forums.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

seicer

Well, I reedited it but just made it a little less inflammatory, if that is okay. But come on, when was the last time SP Cook has actually been factual about what he writes?

rickmastfan67

Well, I'll let the Admin/Mod comment here that did the partial deletion, since it wasn't me.

NE2

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 05, 2013, 09:17:23 PM
Well, I reedited it but just made it a little less inflammatory, if that is okay. But come on, when was the last time SP Cook has actually been factual about what he writes?
Maybe he called me a dirty fucking hippie once.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

The forum software does show a line at the bottom of an edited post showing who performed the last edit. Before editing that post, you would have been able to see which moderator edited the post, and message them for clarification if desired.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 05, 2013, 10:50:57 PM
The forum software does show a line at the bottom of an edited post showing who performed the last edit. Before editing that post, you would have been able to see which moderator edited the post, and message them for clarification if desired.

I believe this is insufficiently transparent.  I think all admins/mods owe it to the poster to put, in purple text, the reason for the modification, if they do so - even in innocuous cases, like "fixed nested quote mismatch".  the automatic "last modified by [name of admin/mod here]" is insufficient.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

We've had a debate about this. I'd rather not have called attention to [removed unnecessarily inflammatory content], but since you want to bring it out in the open instead of contacting me first like I would have preferred and respected, fine. At the same time, if I find such content in the future, consider this your official notice that a warning will be issued for contradicting our official forum guidelines against inflammatory/harrassing content against another user. (paraphrasing)

seicer

So, what you are saying is this:

You feel as if it is perfectly acceptable to edit other people's posts for your own personal reasons without giving a reason or courtesy notice, but feel that it is not acceptable that I found it questionable about your conduct and asked an open question without mentioning your name?

Check.

I'd like to have all future warnings or notices reviewed by another moderator who may be a bit less biased, if this is your style of reply. I asked a simple question, without mentioning your name on this thread and others, and you got yourself pretty heated. I didn't mention your name or the post, yet this is how you reply.

Don't care for many of your posts Steve (not personal), but I expected a less condescending reply from you.

Alps

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on September 06, 2013, 08:50:33 PM
So, what you are saying is this:

You feel as if it is perfectly acceptable to edit other people's posts for your own personal reasons without giving a reason or courtesy notice, but feel that it is not acceptable that I found it questionable about your conduct and asked an open question without mentioning your name?

Check.

I'd like to have all future warnings or notices reviewed by another moderator who may be a bit less biased, if this is your style of reply. I asked a simple question, without mentioning your name on this thread and others, and you got yourself pretty heated. I didn't mention your name or the post, yet this is how you reply.

Don't care for many of your posts Steve (not personal), but I expected a less condescending reply from you.
I expected to be contacted personally if the problem is with me. My name is at the bottom of the post, so that makes it clear that it was my edit, and you could have asked why. For what it's worth, we do store everyone's "deleted" material in a safe place, in case the decision is overturned. But no, not every single decision is made by the entire team. That would be incredibly cumbersome. Major decisions, especially bans or problem users, are discussed at length among us.
My editing of your post was not a personal reason, unless you consider that I personally don't like it when people attack each other by name. Your repost was on the line, but I'll allow it. Several users here have a tendency, whether conscious or otherwise, to post in a manner that inflames other users. It's a list I keep in the back of my head, such that when I notice a situation involving one of those users, I'm more quick to act than if it's two otherwise well-behaved users that seem to strike a sour note.
In the future, I would prefer that if you have any problems with me or my actions, to please contact me personally. I find it odd that we have both been in this hobby for (way too long), but have never met, or even spoken a word to each other outside of posting. I do bite, but it's like a cat, not a dog - without intent to kill.
FWIW, anything I don't care for about you personally will remain between you and me, if I so choose, not to be aired here. I do care for your photo quality, though I do not care for your watermarks.

seicer

Thanks for the courteous reply. I wasn't expecting a reply from you, given how broad this post was and that it was asking for clarification, but I'll tone down my posts since I've crossed that line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.