How to make this forum more phone friendly

Started by bugo, September 22, 2013, 11:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Make the whole bar clickable on the main forum page instead of just the text.  Bigger links are your friends.  It would also be nice to be able to use the chat using an Android device.

KEK Inc.

Use iPB which has better mobile themes. 

http://www.ipbforumskins.com/premade/slate/

smf has some mobile skins which is a hell of a lot better than pinching your smartphone screen to click those tiny links.
Take the road less traveled.

Alex

Obviously cannot get chat to work on my tablet either. Only thing I can do is look for a new chat room s/w suite. However the last time we looked there was not much that was appealing...

sammi

With regard to mobile support, does this forum already support Tapatalk? They already have applications for iOS, Android and Windows Phone. (Windows 8 not so much. :() That would make mobile integration so much easier.

EDIT: Had a link fail there. (I'm an HTML developer.)

WillWeaverRVA

I second the Tapatalk suggestion. It is nigh-impossible to navigate the forum on a phone or a smaller tablet.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Dr Frankenstein

sammi

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 23, 2013, 11:05:13 AM
Yes, Tapatalk supports SMF. http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=smf

I mean this forum. The link you provided was for admins to upload to the server, and I don't know whether this was already done.

Dr Frankenstein

No; well, not when I searched for AARoads on it, but it was a while ago.

Alex

1995hoo

I noticed just now when I loaded the forum it asked me if I wanted to open Tapatalk (which I use for a hockey-related forum). Please let us know when it's working! I've found it to be much easier than using the Safari browser on an iPhone.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

I just opened this forum in Chrome for Android, and there was a pop-up for TapaTalk. I installed the app, but you then search for your forum...but I can't find AARoads anywhere on TapaTalk.

Is it not ready yet?

1995hoo

Quote from: formulanone on October 09, 2013, 09:05:47 AM
I just opened this forum in Chrome for Android, and there was a pop-up for TapaTalk. I installed the app, but you then search for your forum...but I can't find AARoads anywhere on TapaTalk.

Is it not ready yet?

The same currently happens on an iPhone and iPad.

Alex

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2013, 09:36:37 AM

Is it not ready yet?

Thanks to some help from rickmastfan67, we will be rolling that out later today. I'll post an announcement when it is done.

formulanone

1995hoo

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2013, 09:39:40 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2013, 09:36:37 AM

Is it not ready yet?

Thanks to some help from rickmastfan67, we will be rolling that out later today. I'll post an announcement when it is done.

Great news! Thanks for the info.

BTW, at least for iOS there is a "Tapatalk HD" that takes advantage of the iPad's larger screen compared to the iPhone's. I assume, but do not know, that there is a similar version for Android tablets. If there is, I highly recommend it. It makes navigation very easy.

Alex

OK it is set up, give it a try and let me know if we got everything correct!

Thanks!

FLRoads

Quote from: Alex on October 09, 2013, 12:09:32 PM
OK it is set up, give it a try and let me know if we got everything correct!

Thanks!
I couldn't get it to work on my tablet, but I can deal with that later...

formulanone

Registered for TapaTalk (not sure if its necessary or not). Confirmed e-mail.

Found AARoads on TapaTalk, but it's still perpetually loading the forum after you select it.

Edit: mention registering, approval, just in case.

1995hoo

I just tried it on my iPad. It found AARoads when I searched for that name, but it returned the following error mesage:

QuoteIt appears the server has some issue with Tapatalk HD or your session is expired. If this problem persists, please re-enter this forum from Account tab.

I found this odd because I hadn't entered my username and password, so I cleared the message and tapped "Login" in the top right corner. Still didn't work, so I backed out to the home screen and tried re-entering from there. Still no luck.

On my iPhone, however, it worked just fine! So I'm going to try deleting the account on my iPad and starting over. I'll come back and update this post after I play with that. Clearly, I know it SHOULD work somehow since it works on the iPhone. I just have to figure out if the error is on my end.

The "Unread" view is a great way to keep up with only those threads that have new posts since you last viewed it.

Edited to update: It now works fine on the iPad! I cleared the Tapatalk cache and then shut down the app and relaunched it. That time it worked fine. Thanks again for setting this up. I've used Tapatalk for probably close on to two years now to read a hockey forum I frequent that uses similar software to this forum and it makes it a lot easier to read, especially on the phone.

Quote from: formulanone on October 09, 2013, 12:32:31 PM
Registered for TapaTalk (not sure if its necessary or not). Confirmed e-mail.

From what I recall (it's been two years since I first started using it), you don't need to register for Tapatalk, but it makes it easier to log into a forum across multiple devices because it stores your usernames and passwords for you.

BTW, you use the Tapatalk settings to tell it how you want it to behave (defaulting to Unread or Participated, how many posts to show per page, whether to allow it to append a signature advertising that you use Tapatalk, etc.). I believe the settings are not forum-specific. I've had to fiddle a bit with Tapatalk on my iPhone since the iOS 7 update a few weeks ago because the app's current version annoyingly changed a few settings (on that hockey forum it kept dumping me into "Participated" view rather than the "Unread" view I prefer). On the iPhone version of the app, you can change that sort of thing for a given forum by swiping left-to-right to bring up the specific forum's menu and then tapping the "Edit" button. I used this option to drag "Unread" to the top of the list, for example. When you're viewing the list of threads, pull down from the top to refresh the list.

It's going to take a little getting used to how to switch between different fora. I'm happy to have that problem.

iPad screenshot (Unread view):

iPhone screenshot (Unread view):

cu2010

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

formulanone

Had to uninstall/re-install TapaTalk. My phone is funny that way.

KEK Inc.

Seems to work well.  Remember to disable the signature that just plugs this app.
Take the road less traveled.

bugo

Tapatalk is not perfect, but it is good enough.  When the chatroom is brought back, we must ensure that it is phone-friendly.

dlainhart

Quote from: bugo on October 30, 2013, 12:14:44 PM
Tapatalk is not perfect, but it is good enough.  When the chatroom is brought back, we must ensure that it is phone-friendly.
I second this motion.

Dylan T. Lainhart / Binghamton, N.Y.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: bugo on October 30, 2013, 12:14:44 PM
When the chatroom is brought back, we must ensure that it is phone-friendly.

I haven't found any chatrooms that claim to be "phone-friendly" unfortunately. :(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.