News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Suggestion: member map

Started by getemngo, October 22, 2013, 08:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getemngo

It's nice to find fellow roadgeeks who live in your area, because then there's someone to talk to about local projects, and hanging out with roadgeeks either formally or informally is a lot of fun. Sometimes it's easy to miss everyone on the forums, especially when the chat is down and there's no searching the member list by location. Therefore... a member map!

This has been done before: list and map

It's also kinda fun for those of us who just like analyzing maps and demographics.  :)

I've seen this done on another SMF forum I belong to, so there is already a plugin or mod or whatever you call it for this. For the privacy concerned, the example I've seen:

• is not connected to the "location" field in your profile
  • is 100% opt-in
  • is only visible to signed-in members of the forum
  • lets you place yourself wherever. Most users put the dot in the center of their town or closest city, rather than at their address

Just a bonus feature for the people who want it.
~ Sam from Michigan

hotdogPi

Let's do it, if it's possible.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

rickmastfan67

Talk to the people who run the other SMF forum and get the name of the mod and the link to it on the SMF site.  Then we'll talk about it with the other Admins.  Just remember, Alex has final say over any mod added to the forums.

getemngo

This could take a few days, because the owner's "last login" time was 5 days ago. When he signs in and replies to my message, I'll let you know.

Based on the features listed in its readme, I'm 95% sure it's SMF-Google-Member-Map. The only relevant mod listed on SMF's website hasn't been updated since 2007 and is incompatible with SMF 2.x, and it can't be that because Other Forum is using 2.0.5 just like AARoads.
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

Dougtone

On the northeastroads Yahoo! group (remember them?), we had an option at one time where someone could add themselves to a community map on Frappr.com.  This was somewhat popular.  Of course, Frappr seems to have gone belly up at this point.  However, there may be some other sites that could help.

http://www.moreofit.com/similar-to/www.frappr.com/Top_10_Sites_Like_Frappr/

Laura

Considering the recent thread to name members from all of the states (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10997.0), I really vote that a member map is created. Have there been any updates, getemngo, from the other SMF forum owner?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 01, 2013, 08:16:16 AM
Have there been any updates, getemngo, from the other SMF forum owner?

Not yet to my knowledge.

getemngo

What great timing... didn't see these new posts, but something reminded me of it yesterday, so I made another attempt to reach him, this time on Twitter.

The response I got was basically: "I don't know, it was a really long time ago and I got the code from someone else."
Nobody else on that forum would know.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'm still virtually certain, as I said in my last post, that it's SMF-Google-Member-Map. I can't find any other mods that are even compatible with this version of SMF. Here's what it looks like:

Blue pins are male members, pink female, green unspecified. If you click a pin, that little bubble comes up with a link to their profile and a little bit of their info. And as I said before, if a forum member doesn't want to participate, they don't have to.

(Note: I am not Zeb. I don't even know who Zeb is. Try again, stalkers!)
~ Sam from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.