News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Serious question: Should we disallow parody threads?

Started by hotdogPi, October 23, 2013, 10:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we disallow parody threads?

Yes
6 (30%)
No
14 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 20

hotdogPi

There have been several parody threads:

One to "Threads you'll never see on aaroads.com", which is "threads that have appeared at least once on aaroads.com"

Two extremely ridiculous parodies to my mathematical thread

Should these be disallowed? The forum seems to be getting too crazy.

EDIT:

This thread is not for making jokes. This is to prevent the forum from getting too crazy and pointless.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

corco

I am in favor of banning parody threads only if it includes a ban of 1 (the user, the number, and anything else).

Zeffy

Any thread that involves a situation where the original topic may not be clear for some members should be locked. I shouldn't have to figure out what someone means by x, x+y, x+2y. (No offense, 1)

I am sure we can think of new threads besides the ones that involve mathematical formulas that are cryptic as hell for someone who didn't ace math class in high school.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

corco

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo zeffy you're no fun. I'm now in favor of banning parody threads only if we also ban zeffy

vdeane

If we banned parody threads, we would have to ban Alanland, which would require all forum members to mention it in every post.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Molandfreak

I guarantee that this storm is going to blow over in a few days. No sense in further limiting what we can/can't post. Don't like it? Just press ctrl-q! Or post in another thread.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on October 23, 2013, 10:34:20 PM
Any thread that involves a situation where the original topic may not be clear for some members should be locked.

Goodbye, threads about type BAA prismatic sheeping.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I am expressing my opinion as a mod/admin: I'm fine with parody threads. They belong in Off-Topic. People can choose whether or not they want to venture into OT. Anything with the potential for conflict (politics and religion, mainly) is off limits, otherwise have fun.

NOTE: However, I think we did take it a bit too far with the sheer number of meta-threads. Let's calm down a bit, gents.

english si

Any thread that involves a situation where the original topic may not be clear for some members should be locked. I shouldn't have to figure out what someone means by x, x+y, x+2y.
"Patagonia!" and similar might be unclear for those who have never heard of the place.
"Vulcan road photos" isn't clear whether it is roads on Spock's home planet or what.
QuoteI am sure we can think of new threads besides the ones that involve mathematical formulas that are cryptic as hell for someone who didn't ace math class in high school.
So don't bother reading them - not hard.

I'm sure others didn't ace English - should we have a three syllable limit?

This isn't a lowest common denominator forum.

Sorry, I need to put that in Elementary school maths, and in words of less that 3 syllables:
This isn't a forum where you cannot be smarter than a 10 year old, just because some people here are not as smart as an average 10 year old in some fields.

Roadsguy

x, x+y, x+2y.

Apparently I missed something. Does that thread still exist or was it renamed?

EDIT: That's what I get for checking General Highway Talk last. :pan:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

agentsteel53

Any thread that involves a situation where the original topic may not be clear for some members should be locked. I shouldn't have to figure out what someone means by x, x+y, x+2y. (No offense, 1)

I am sure we can think of new threads besides the ones that involve mathematical formulas that are cryptic as hell for someone who didn't ace math class in high school.

honestly, I think this is a pretty fucking large heap of anti-intellectual horseshit.  I don't want this forum to descend into a convocation of dumbassery, where threads are judged to be "too erudite" and shitcanned for that reason alone.

that said, I think the parody stuff will indeed blow over in a few days.  I'm okay with everyone getting a chuckle for a day or two and then having my contributions swept into the dustbin.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US81

Respectfully agree with the idea to keep parody threads in Off-Topic.

Respectfully disagree with the point about keeping ideas simple - I hope we continue to have serious discussions that occasionally include topics that everyone may not have mastered. I like learning about prismatic sheeting, traffic signal timing, styles of electrical power poles, how mass transit works in its various incarnations, all manner of things engineering, etc.  I don't mind reviewing my math and I miss some of the grammar discussions. I appreciate some of our experts trying to explain to interested amateurs "how things work."

hbelkins

In a somewhat-related vein, I think it's past time to move the Alanland thread to off-topic. It passed the realm of "fictional" a long time ago.

And where should a "If I ran my state's DOT" thread go -- General, Fictional or Off-Topic? I think an argument could be made for all three locations.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Brandon

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on October 24, 2013, 03:15:05 PM
I cannot wait for a parody of this thread.

Just wait for it to hit Alanland.

"Serious or not-so-serious question: Should we or should we not allow or disallow parody threads?"
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2013, 03:07:00 PM
And where should a "If I ran my state's DOT" thread go -- General, Fictional or Off-Topic? I think an argument could be made for all three locations.

depends on what you would do as DOT commissioner:

general: go through projects in the state and decide how you would choose among various proposals.

fictional: same as general, add a few proposals of your own.

off-topic: talk about goats.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Zeffy

Okay, disregard my last post. I may have been slightly angry at other things and probably let my emotionscome out in a not so smart way. Carry on, people.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2013, 03:07:00 PM
In a somewhat-related vein, I think it's past time to move the Alanland thread to off-topic. It passed the realm of "fictional" a long time ago.

I disagree. We just had the first-ever Alanland meet, thus proving it is and is not worthy of being on topic. Is it even Fictional anymore? Are we real?

Duke87

Would a thread about Weird Al count as a parody thread?  :spin:

I for one think parody threads are funny and like that we can have fun like that here. Some of the most memorable moments on this forum have come from parody threads. It's a joke, people. Laugh at it. :) Or if you don't find it funny, just ignore it. It's not doing any harm to anyone.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEK Inc.

It was a ridiculous thread but it wasn't rocket science mathematics. 

Honestly I think pattern threads are silly.  I guess I just care more about the engineering and traffic control designs over circumstantial number coincidences. 
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.