News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Quote attributions

Started by froggie, February 12, 2014, 06:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

So I noticed in a thread that one of my posts was edited because I had "stripped quote attributions".   On those occasions where I quote, I use the quick-reply and manually type the quote functions (copy-paste what it is I'm quoting).  This has never been a problem before....why is it now?

formulanone

It kind of bugs me that the quote tag requires the date and post stamps. It's cumbersome to type those out on a phone if you accidentally edit even one character out.

(Edited to make sense.)

hbelkins

So I noticed in a thread that one of my posts was edited because I had "stripped quote attributions".   On those occasions where I quote, I use the quick-reply and manually type the quote functions (copy-paste what it is I'm quoting).  This has never been a problem before....why is it now?

(See what I did there?)

I would think the important thing is what's being quoted, not who's being quoted.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sammi

Quote from: formulanone on February 12, 2014, 10:56:14 AM
It kind of bugs me that the quote tag requires the date and post stamps.
It doesn't really. I can also just use [quote author=formulanone] and it would be just fine.

hbelkins

Which thread, BTW? I didn't see it and admittedly have not ever seen that edit made before.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

I admittedly am not familiar with the phone interface, but from the Web interface you can click "Quote" directly on the post you wish to quote. That will put the user and date into the quote directly. If typing manually, at least please try to put "user=__" into the quote tag, because that will help keep quotes sorted. What happened in the thread in question is that someone then quoted your quote and ended up misattributing what you quoted to you.

froggie

Unless the one person who posted after me edited his post, I don't see where anyone was misattributing anything that was quoted...

Alps

Quote from: froggie on February 12, 2014, 09:16:21 PM
Unless the one person who posted after me edited his post, I don't see where anyone was misattributing anything that was quoted...

I edited it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.