Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Coalfields Expressway

<< < (33/34) > >>

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on September 08, 2021, 08:38:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: Black-Man on September 08, 2021, 04:48:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bitmapped on August 12, 2021, 10:46:58 AM ---That's why tolls were increased on the Turnpike. There was weird cross-funding: general obligation bond dollars are paying for the Turnpike widening near Beckley, and Turnpike revenue bonds are paying for off-Turnpike projects in southern West Virginia.

--- End quote ---

I talked to a guy who works for the Parkways Authority. Seems they 1) underestimated EZPass adoption and 2) even with (1) they overestimated the impact of the Turnpike revenue bonds and he sees a toll increase in the not-too-distant future using the "we're one of the cheapest toll roads in the region" line. I was asking about the Turnpike upgrading their archaic mainline toll barriers - something which was promised with the toll increase - and of course they have no funding for the modernization of even the Chelyan barrier (which is a nightmare during summer high-traffic weekends).

--- End quote ---

Parkways just needs to ditch the toll barriers and go full all-electronic tolling, but that's politically challenging because it would impact jobs.

If E-ZPass adoption is up that much, it would seem to point towards at least having full-time E-ZPass lanes all the time.

--- End quote ---

The 5 mph speed limit on even the E-ZPass-only lanes is frustrating.

There certainly isn't a lot of room for widening at Chelyan (I always called that one Cabin Creek) but it would be nice if they would at least tear down a couple of booths, install jersey barriers between the lanes, and let E-ZPass traffic pass through at a speed higher than 5 mph. Even 35 or 40 would be a better option.

--- Quote from: SP Cook on September 09, 2021, 09:31:57 AM ---- Justice is term limited, so his views on the subject get less relevant each day, but if you look at a map, a complete KC/Tolsia takes something like 15 miles off the existing I-77/I-64, while a completed CFE US 121 might take 25 off the existing I-77/ Corridor Q US 460, which still is incomplete in Virginia.  Both pass through areas of tiny population.  I certainly see no desire in Virginia to build the rest of Q, let alone this project.

--- End quote ---

Think Justice might be like Arch Moore and sit out a term, and then try to come back? Or is he done with politics, having dealt with the hassles over where he sleeps at night and stuff like that?

Regarding Virginia, I think they'll basically be forced to finish US 460 to Grundy. Kentucky will have its section of Q finished in a couple of years, and the section beyond the current end of the four-lane at Breaks is just waiting for surface. That traffic will have to be shunted over to Grundy somehow, and SR 609 between Breaks and existing 460 isn't designed to handle a large volume of traffic, nor bigger vehicles.

I'm still not sure where the future route will tie in to the existing four-lane near Grundy.

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on September 09, 2021, 11:59:16 AM ---Think Justice might be like Arch Moore and sit out a term, and then try to come back? Or is he done with politics, having dealt with the hassles over where he sleeps at night and stuff like that?

--- End quote ---

No. Justice is done. Nobody in either party likes him much at this point and there are a number of ambitious Republicans who want their shot at the office. It's not like during Arch Moore's era when Moore was pretty much it for the WVGOP bench.

SP Cook:
I would agree with that, and add that Justice is currently 70.  Term limited in 24, he would be 77 in 28, and is not in the best of health. 

The other thing I would add, and mods I mean this in the context of civics, and not politics, is to look at the Census numbers.   The population loss sketches out to about five to six delegates (out of 100) and at least 2 or perhaps 4 state senators (out of 34) being reapportioned from that region to places like the eastern panhandle, and Putnam and Monongalia counties, which will, IMHO, greatly change the transportation priorities for a long time to come. 

hbelkins:
Found my own answer, quite accidentally, to the question about connecting future US 460 to the existing route.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHE92-YmC2U
Looks like existing 460 will be widened for a short distance north of Grundy, and then use a new alignment to cross the river and climb the mountain.

GCrites80s:

--- Quote from: SP Cook on September 09, 2021, 09:31:57 AM ---

- The turnpike toll booths, southbound, are overwhelmed on the Sunday after Thanksgiving (which says a lot about a lot)

--- End quote ---

The shift of native West Virginian migration patterns from Columbus, Cleveland and Pittsburgh to North Carolina (especially Charlotte) instead over the past 30+ years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version