News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Former names you use without meaning to

Started by Pete from Boston, February 26, 2015, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Not really a problem where I live now because I'm relatively new here. But I had plenty in both St Louis where I lived for almost 30 years and in Green Bay where I was raised. I still refer to I-64 as Highway 40, Macy's as Famous or Famous-Barr, the arena where the Blues play as the Kiel, and the Missouri Botanical Garden as Shaw's Garden though the last was called the Missouri Botanical Garden when I arrived because all the locals use that name still.

I still refer to the paper mills in Green Bay by the names they had when I was a kid, Northern (where my dad worked), Charmin, and Fort Howard. The Frigo Bridge is still the Tower Drive Bridge and the Tillman is the Mason St Bridge. I'm sure if I-41 had been given a different number, people would still call it Highway 41.  Downstate, I have used the term Miller Park but usually referred to the now American Family Field as Milwaukee County Stadium or just County Stadium. Thank heavens, Lambeau Field is still Lambeau and Camp Randall Stadium is still Camp Randall because they will always be those names to me.

Big John

Quote from: skluth on July 18, 2022, 02:56:05 PM
Tillman is the Mason St Bridge.
It was given the name since it opened in 1973, but most people call it the Mason St. Bridge.  The Walnut St. Bridge was recently renamed the Bart Starr memorial bridge, but I still call it the Walnut St. bridge.

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 18, 2022, 12:48:54 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 18, 2022, 07:35:54 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 18, 2022, 02:15:01 AMI was showing my wife a map of Las Vegas and caught myself referring to LAS airport as McCarran, despite it being shown on the map as Harry Reid. I have no idea why–it's not like I've ever even been to Las Vegas, so it's not like I have an attachment to the name McCarran.

Heck, I've been to Vegas a dozen times, and don't think I ever used "McCarran".  I just say Las Vegas Airport, Vegas Airport, or LAS.  And completely forgot the name changed.

I have actually called it "McCarran Airport" and flat-out did not know the name had changed.  I am glad to find out it has!  This said, I had not been aware of McCarran's reputation as a racist and anti-Semite, so I had been thinking more in terms of the McCarran Act and his role as one of Joseph McCarthy's chief enablers.
Best not look too deeply into Reid's history.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tchafe1978

Quote from: skluth on July 18, 2022, 02:56:05 PM
Not really a problem where I live now because I'm relatively new here. But I had plenty in both St Louis where I lived for almost 30 years and in Green Bay where I was raised. I still refer to I-64 as Highway 40, Macy's as Famous or Famous-Barr, the arena where the Blues play as the Kiel, and the Missouri Botanical Garden as Shaw's Garden though the last was called the Missouri Botanical Garden when I arrived because all the locals use that name still.

I still refer to the paper mills in Green Bay by the names they had when I was a kid, Northern (where my dad worked), Charmin, and Fort Howard. The Frigo Bridge is still the Tower Drive Bridge and the Tillman is the Mason St Bridge. I'm sure if I-41 had been given a different number, people would still call it Highway 41.  Downstate, I have used the term Miller Park but usually referred to the now American Family Field as Milwaukee County Stadium or just County Stadium. Thank heavens, Lambeau Field is still Lambeau and Camp Randall Stadium is still Camp Randall because they will always be those names to me.

I can see referring to most of those by their former names as that's what you were used to. Howefer it really doesn't work to call the former Miller Park, now American Family Field, as Milwaukee County Stadium, because they are two completely different buildings. If County Stadium had ever gotten a naming rights sponsor, I still would've called it County Stadium myself. And I agree with you on Lambeau and Camp Randall. Those two better never get corporate naming rights sponsors.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on July 18, 2022, 08:59:23 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on July 18, 2022, 12:48:54 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 18, 2022, 07:35:54 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 18, 2022, 02:15:01 AMI was showing my wife a map of Las Vegas and caught myself referring to LAS airport as McCarran, despite it being shown on the map as Harry Reid. I have no idea why–it's not like I've ever even been to Las Vegas, so it's not like I have an attachment to the name McCarran.

Heck, I've been to Vegas a dozen times, and don't think I ever used "McCarran".  I just say Las Vegas Airport, Vegas Airport, or LAS.  And completely forgot the name changed.

I have actually called it "McCarran Airport" and flat-out did not know the name had changed.  I am glad to find out it has!  This said, I had not been aware of McCarran's reputation as a racist and anti-Semite, so I had been thinking more in terms of the McCarran Act and his role as one of Joseph McCarthy's chief enablers.
Best not look too deeply into Reid's history.

They gonna change the name of McCarran Blvd in Reno, too?

chrisdiaz

I have family from Orange County, CA, some of whom are big baseball/softball fans. I have referred to the Angels as the Anaheim Angels in conversation with them. When we've watched their games, I noticed the team name was abbreviated as "LAA", so I got curious and looked it up, and they did in fact change their name to be the Los Angeles Angels.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: chrisdiaz on August 03, 2022, 01:21:03 AM
I have family from Orange County, CA, some of whom are big baseball/softball fans. I have referred to the Angels as the Anaheim Angels in conversation with them. When we've watched their games, I noticed the team name was abbreviated as "LAA", so I got curious and looked it up, and they did in fact change their name to be the Los Angeles Angels.

Some of us still deliberately call them Anaheim in order to not recognize their marketing stunt of changing their name to Los Angeles.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 03, 2022, 03:24:06 AM

Some of us still deliberately call them Anaheim in order to not recognize their marketing stunt of changing their name to Los Angeles.

Go more old school and just use "California".

kirbykart

In Salamanca, there was a supermarket here for a while called Parkview. A couple years ago, a regional (like 7-8 locations in NY, PA, and OH) market chain called Sanders moved into that building, but all of the Parkview signs still stand, and they actually use the former Parkview name in their marketing, they call it the Sanders Parkview Supermarket. I'm pretty sure everyone, including myself, still just calls it Parkview though.

formulanone

I forget the Florida Marlins are the Miami Marlins, though they've actually played there for the last 10 years. But 20 years of marketing sort of stuck the "old location" it in my head. They still play their spring training games 3 hours north of Miami, so I look at it as how the Carolina Panthers practice in another state.

Flint1979

I still call the convention center in Detroit Cobo Hall even though it had been called Cobo Center and now TCF Center. I'll probably continue to do so as well. I even refer to Comerica Park as Tiger Stadium at times.

hotdogPi

Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA. It's Lahey Hospital now.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 05, 2022, 10:53:01 PM
I still call the convention center in Detroit Cobo Hall even though it had been called Cobo Center and now TCF Center.
You're a name behind - now it's Huntington Place.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: 1 on August 06, 2022, 06:07:07 AM

Many hospitals in Massachusetts are still referred to by their former names by residents (I.e. Beth Isrea; Deaconess in Needham is still Glover Hospital).

Ted$8roadFan

Actually, New Englanders are well-known for giving directions/referring to departed landmarks in conversation (take a left where the Almacs used to be).

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on August 06, 2022, 06:56:05 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 05, 2022, 10:53:01 PM
I still call the convention center in Detroit Cobo Hall even though it had been called Cobo Center and now TCF Center.
You're a name behind - now it's Huntington Place.
I have no idea how anyone would know where Huntington Place is at even the most diehard Detroiter would be stumped. Now say Cobo Hall and you know what we're talking about. I hate when they change the names of things.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 06, 2022, 07:03:11 AM
Quote from: 1 on August 06, 2022, 06:07:07 AM

Many hospitals in Massachusetts are still referred to by their former names by residents (I.e. Beth Isrea; Deaconess in Needham is still Glover Hospital).

Same in CT.  I still call The Hospital of Central CT New Britain General. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MATraveler128

Tappan Zee Bridge across the Hudson River. Now it's the Gov. Mario M Cuomo Bridge.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

hotdogPi

Crossposting:

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 21, 2022, 09:02:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on September 21, 2022, 08:57:00 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 21, 2022, 05:52:55 PM
Whoever pinned the state notes threads in the Midwest board, I just want to say thank you.
What Midwest board?  ;-)

I guess I'll be that one defiant person who keeps calling it the Midwest board. Because that's the name that first comes to mind.

kirbykart

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 07, 2022, 02:39:46 PM
Tappan Zee Bridge across the Hudson River. Now it's the Gov. Mario M Cuomo Bridge.
Is there a single person on Earth who actually calls it the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge?

hotdogPi

Quote from: kirbykart on September 22, 2022, 09:40:04 AM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on August 07, 2022, 02:39:46 PM
Is there a single person on Earth who actually calls it the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Bridge?

I don't think so, but "Cuomo Bridge" is enough to count as the new name and be unambiguous.

Someone in the "topics in 2064" thread mentioned a fictional extension of I-287 across Long Island Sound named after Andrew Cuomo, but this is less likely now because naming something after someone who resigned in a scandal is uncommon. Even if that did happen, they would be distinguished as "Mario Cuomo Bridge" and "Andrew Cuomo Bridge", no title, no middle initial.

Henry

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 03, 2022, 09:15:09 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 03, 2022, 03:24:06 AM

Go more old school and just use "California".
Do people still refer to the Arizona Cardinals/Coyotes as Phoenix?

Kauffman Stadium will always be Royals Stadium to me, because that was the name it opened under.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Dirt Roads

I see some hospitals and medical facilities mentioned upthread.  This one is kind of backwards.  Historically, the general hospital facility at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill was known as North Carolina Memorial Hospital.  I wasn't around here back then, so I'm just following the locals and call it "UNC" with no differentiation between the university or the hospital.   If you are talking about a medical condition, everybody knows.  (The same goes for when folks here say that they are going to "Duke"). 

However, recently most of the signage for the main campus of UNC Medical Center have been changed over to say "North Carolina Memorial Hospital" once again.  Not sure if the old signage plans were simply copied, or if this was intentional (possibly because of the location of UNC Hospitals Hillsborough, which sits right beside I-40). 

hbelkins

Commonwealth Stadium. I don't care that UK sold the naming rights to an Ohio grocery chain and the official name is now "Kroger Field."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.