Regional Boards > Northeast

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

<< < (2/275) > >>

roadman:

--- Quote from: SidS1045 on October 28, 2015, 10:44:55 PM ---One thing I didn't see in the project specs (might have missed it, of course):  How long does MassDOT expect the "FORMERLY EXIT XX" signs to be left standing?

--- End quote ---
The "Formerly Exit XX" signs will remain in place for at least two years after the new numbers are posted.  Removal of these signs after that time is not included in this contract, but will be done by District maintenance forces.

roadman:

--- Quote ---For some reason, Interstate 93 from current Exit 6 to current Exit 12 and is not included under this contract. Perhaps these numbers will be changed under a sign replacement deal like the Mass Turnpike
--- End quote ---

As explained in the detail sheets, the current exit numbers from Exit 6 to Exit 12 are being retained because the present sequential numbers match the adjacent mileposts at these locations.

--- Quote ---All of the signs in the Tip O'Neill tunnel are not included under this contract, however signs outside the tunnel for exits contained within it are included.
--- End quote ---

Signs in the O'Neill and WIlliams Tunnels will have their numbers converted under the pending MHS Tunnels overhead sign repair contract.

PHLBOS:

--- Quote from: bob7374 on October 28, 2015, 11:47:04 PM ---Seems MassDOT is making things a little more complicated number-wise than need be. For example I-95 near I-93 in Reading. Heading northbound the current two exits before I-93 northbound are 35 and 36 with I-93 being 37A/B. They want to renumber these as 53, 55A and 55B/C. Wouldn't 53, 54, 55A/B be less confusing?
--- End quote ---
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I-95/US 3 Burlington interchange: the proposed exit number for I-95 along US 3 is Exits 70A-B; yet, MM 71 is just prior to the interchange (along C-D lane) along the I-95/US 3 multiplex.  It should be Exit 71A-B.

I-95/MA 128 Peabody interchange: the proposed exit number is 64; yet, MM 65 is located within the interchange itself.  IMHO, it should be Exit 65.

I-95/Centre St. Danvers interchange should be 68 not 67C since MM 68 is located just north of the Centre St. overpass and within the interchange.  Also, since this is a southbound only exit/entrance interchange and the MA 114 interchange (future Exit 67A-B) has only northbound exit ramps (but entrance ramps for both directions); assigning it a suffixed exit number just isn't right.

I-95/MA 62 Danvers (current Exit 49) & I-95/US 1 Danvers/Topsfield (current Exit 50) are palnned to change to Exit 69A and 69B respectively.  Why not just use Exit 69 for MA 62 and Exit 70 for US 1.  MM 70 is located within the US 1 interchange.  Also, MA 62 is a northbound exit/southbound entrance interchange only; I-95 southbounders will only see signs for Exit 69B (US 1) but no 69A (MA 62).

Roadman, I'm sorry, but the project documents IMHO need to be resubmitted prior to bidding; there's way too many issues and even flat-out mistakes on something that should've been straight forward.

bob7374:
It appears that the large number of suffixed exits is due to the way the exit numbers were assigned. From revising my interstate and US Route future exit numbers based on MassDOT mileposts for each exit and using the new MassDOT exit numbers, it appears they are using a 'round down' system where the number is assigned to the whole number on the milepost. Thus an exit at mile 1.20 or 1.99 is given the number 1. This contrasts with normal rounding where anything past .5 would be rounded up to the next whole number. Thus if you have exits at mileposts 1.1, 1.9 and 3, MassDOT would number them 1A, 1B and 3, as opposed to 1, 2 and 3.

You can check out the revised exit list here: http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/intexits.html

PHLBOS:

--- Quote from: bob7374 on October 31, 2015, 11:18:15 AM ---It appears that the large number of suffixed exits is due to the way the exit numbers were assigned. From revising my interstate and US Route future exit numbers based on MassDOT mileposts for each exit and using the new MassDOT exit numbers, it appears they are using a 'round down' system where the number is assigned to the whole number on the milepost. Thus an exit at mile 1.20 or 1.99 is given the number 1. This contrasts with normal rounding where anything past .5 would be rounded up to the next whole number. Thus if you have exits at mileposts 1.1, 1.9 and 3, MassDOT would number them 1A, 1B and 3, as opposed to 1, 2 and 3.
--- End quote ---
That's probably the case, but there's still some inconsistencies (Exit 0 or no Exit 0) in the documents plus no consideration seemed to be taken when renumbering partial-movement interchanges (see my above-examples regarding I-95's interchanges with MA 114, Centre St., MA 62 & US 1 in Danvers) so that there aren't any orphaned suffixed exit numbers.

Looking through the documents again, I noticed that no provision was made to place an exit tab (with the new numbers) on this BGS along MA 128 southbound.

I'm assumming that this BGS was a match-in-kind for the original 1977-vintage one (though I believe the original sign stated the more-correct plural EXITS) that was probably damaged in an accident or vandalized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version