News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Website Advice

Started by Alex, November 10, 2016, 09:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Is anyone on the board proficient with Google's Webmaster Guidelines or Search Console platform? I have run into an issue with both web sites where images will not show up in Google search results. The error given is
QuoteImages from this site are displayed differently on Google search results pages than they are when displayed on this site.
The help page loads up an article on "cloaked images."

I read more on this, and one potential issue is that cloaking behavior can be caused by anti-hotlinking tools. I had some code in place within the .htaccess files to prevent it, but removed it earlier before sending a review request.

The majority of the photos posted on the site use the fancybox lightbox script to render them. I last updated that script in March, and have not changed the .htaccess file or any other core files on either site since then. I also checked for any hacks, and everything appears clean. So why the sites are now in violation is beyond me.

Any advice would be appreciated either here or via pm!

Alps

Have you checked whether language is set to Romulan? That enables cloaking by default.

jwolfer

Quote from: Alps on November 10, 2016, 09:39:02 PM
Have you checked whether language is set to Romulan? That enables cloaking by default.
It could be Klingon also

LGMS428

vtk

The phrase "fancy lightbox script" threw up several red flags in my head, and not just for your Google problem. The fancier the script, the more places it will fail, and displaying a static image shouldn't require anything fancy.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alex

Quote from: vtk on November 12, 2016, 03:10:54 PM
The phrase "fancy lightbox script" threw up several red flags in my head, and not just for your Google problem. The fancier the script, the more places it will fail, and displaying a static image shouldn't require anything fancy.

It's just a lightbox script called fancybox. It uses jquery and has been on the site since 2010.

Anyway, I requested a review for both sites since they were manual actions by google.

Alex

Got both websites resolved via reconsideration requests.

Now back to figuring out more with WordPress...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.