News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-490/I-390/NY 390/NY 31 interchange

Started by ParrDa, October 10, 2017, 09:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Does anyone know what's going on here?

I thought I remembered that some new ramps to NY-31 were going to be built, but I couldn't find any online plans.

Buffaboy

No idea, I actually went through there the other day and didn't see any work being done.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

jemacedo9

If I remember correctly - and the NYS DOT site I think is where I got this from - they are building a direct ramp from NY 390 NB to NY 31, by building an overpass over the I-490 WB ramp to NY 390 NB.  That ramp will end aligned with the NY 31/Lee Rd intersection.  The I-490 WB ramp to NY 31 will branch off before the new overpass to merge with the new ramp from the right.  This will eliminate the current I-490 WB/NY 390 NB/NY 31 weave.  They are also reconstructing and I believe widening and lengthening the NY 31 bridge over NY 390.

I don't remember what else is occurring, but I think there will be more modifications to NY 390 SB.

vdeane

The project also includes replacement of the NY 390 bridges over Trolley Boulevard.  The bridge replacements are what's being done now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

All I know is that NYSDOT has and will be pumping money into that interchange for years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: Buffaboy on October 16, 2017, 11:11:16 AM
No idea, I actually went through there the other day and didn't see any work being done.

Interesting; I went through a couple of months ago and definitely noticed some work clearing for the new NY 31 ramp.

iPhone

vdeane

Should all be part of the same project, though I believe it's being done in phases.  Check the environmental impact statement.  Sometimes information is left off the website with the idea that the public will look it up.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

I was just driving through here the other day, and piers are now in place for the new ramp which will go directly from 390 North to Lyell Ave. The bridge replacement(s) are also nearing completion.

webny99

Here is the full plan for this interchange. Phase 1 (the bridges) will be complete this spring. There's no schedule available for Phases 2-4, but based on my observation, Phase 2 (390 Northbound) seems to be well underway.

From the Lyell Ave bridge, looking south: Existing vs. Proposed
Note the new southbound roadway, and the additional northbound lanes.

webny99

I passed through the project area Friday afternoon and took the opportunity to at least attempt some photos while behind the wheel:

New Install on the ramp from I-490 WB to NY 390 NB. I'm generally against posting distances in feet, yet it seems right here.

Second new install - the bridge behind it, which will carry the ramp from NY 390 NB to NY 31, is also new.

This ramp will have two thru lanes when complete. Note the ramp to Lyell Ave. curving off to the right.

Note the extensive clearing on the right. NY 390 NB will have five lanes here (and four to Lexington Ave.) when complete.

New Lyell Ave. (NY 31) Bridge nearing completion.

From Lee Rd., looking southbound across NY 31 at the future off-ramp.

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

vdeane

You need to link to the image itself, not the page containing it, if you want to embed.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on June 11, 2018, 12:47:32 PM
You need to link to the image itself, not the page containing it, if you want to embed.

I thought I did just that (but admittedly, I'm not very familiar with Imgur). If you click quote on my post above, is there anything wrong with the links?

odditude

Quote from: webny99 on June 11, 2018, 05:49:04 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 11, 2018, 12:47:32 PM

I thought I did just that (but admittedly, I'm not very familiar with Imgur). If you click quote on my post above, is there anything wrong with the links?

...yes. all of your links go to the page containing the image, not the images themselves.

webny99

I'll mess around on Imgur for a while and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. You do copy the link directly from your post on imgur.com, right?

vdeane

No more than I'd link to your forum post to embed your avatar.  Does your browser have a "copy image address" feature like Chrome does in the right click menu?  You'll know you have it when you get something ending in ".jpg".

froggie

^ I'm not even getting a link to the Imgur page.  Whatever webny tried posting shows up as a complete blank to me.

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on June 11, 2018, 08:44:40 PM
^ I'm not even getting a link to the Imgur page.  Whatever webny tried posting shows up as a complete blank to me.

I'm not getting a link, but copying and pasting the URL results in the Imgur page.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

storm2k

Your best bet for posting Imgur pictures on this forum is to click on your image once you've uploaded it, and copy the "BBCode" entry on the right side.

This posts the image using the correct syntax for viewing on the boards.

qguy

Don't know if you still need an update, but I can see the pics now.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on June 11, 2018, 08:27:22 PM
You'll know you have it when you get something ending in ".jpg".
After I found the correct link for the first image, I realized I could just literally add ".jpg" to all my existing links. So that's what I did. :sombrero:

Quote from: qguy on June 12, 2018, 08:22:39 AM
Don't know if you still need an update, but I can see the pics now.
Yep, should be fixed, thanks! :thumbsup:

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on June 11, 2018, 08:44:40 PM

I had to use the quote feature to get them.

webny99

The new NY 31 (Lyell Ave) bridge over I-390 is now complete - seven lanes instead of the former five.

NY 390 SB is reduced to two lanes between Exit 22 (Lexington) and Exit 21 (Lyell) while they build the auxiliary lane between the two exits. NY 390 NB is to have a lane reduced starting this Friday. That ought to work wonders for the already tedious afternoon congestion!

The two changes I'm anticipating most eagerly are the opening of the new NB ramps to Lyell Ave, and the realignment of the northbound lanes to provide three lanes approaching I-490 WB (the current bottleneck is a rush hour nightmare, while the exit only lane to I-490 eastbound goes basically unused; it will be converted to a thru lane). I'd like to know how to find estimated completion dates for the above, if possible.

webny99

BREAKING: The new ramp(s) to Lyell Ave opened this week! I clinched both approaches today, and I hope to get some photos next time I'm out that way.

There's still construction going on near both approaches to the ramp. I'm eagerly anticipating the new signage (ironically, the existing signs are still new), and implementation of the high-speed fork on I-490 West. Lyell Ave itself is a work in progress, but getting rid of the traffic signal at the old off-ramp has helped traffic flow tremendously.  :thumbsup:

Truck traffic on that part of Lee Road has already spiked: trucks no longer have that nasty double-turn to contend with, they can go straight from the freeway onto Lee Road.

route17fan

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.