News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chat Idea

Started by Dougtone, December 26, 2009, 08:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

Since the chat room within the AARoads forum was removed during the technical difficulties that the forum faced about a month ago, I was wondering if anyone was interested in setting up an AARoads forum chat room on an IRC network for trivia contests and general banter.

un1

The chat was taken down due to lack of interest, so if you could get more interest on it, the admins could bring it back.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

SSOWorld

I concur with un1 here.  The only thing the forum's chat room was used for was trivia nights - despite Dan's attempts to get chats going on other days - some successful, but mostly not.  Even trivia was falling by the wayside prior to the reload.  It would be a good idea otherwise.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

PCLV10

Yeah, I'm down for it, no doubt!

Dougtone

In my opinion, the trivia nights were held way too often.  I'm suggesting that if a chat room returns, it would not be on AARoads' servers, but instead somewhere else (such as IRC).  As for Dan inviting people to chat, I see that he hasn't invited people to even do the AIM chats lately

bugo

I'd like to see some sort of IRC chat.  Only problem is keeping trolls like Poogy from ruining the channel.

Dougtone

Quote from: bugo on December 26, 2009, 05:53:33 PM
I'd like to see some sort of IRC chat.  Only problem is keeping trolls like Poogy from ruining the channel.

IRC is a good way to go because you do have a number of people who use IRC in our hobby.  However, the current roads-related rooms on IRC right now are a bit specific and not generalized, unless you want to talk Wikipedia or something general but usually not about roads.  Yes, you'll always have someone who wants to crash the party, but there are ways to remedy that.  An IRC channel related to the AARoads forum should be focused towards roads and signs, and the chat rooms should remain as they are.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.