Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

Southern Beltway - PA Tpk 576

<< < (2/27) > >>

PAHighways:
From the PTC's press release, it appears they are going forward with the plan to eliminate cash tolls starting with this segment:

--- Quote ---Toll collection on the new segment is being designed as All-Electronic Tolling (AET) in conjunction with the commission's five-year conversion to a cashless system. With AET, customers pay with E-ZPass or video tolling, where a license-plate image is captured and a toll invoice mailed to the vehicle owner. Because no brick-and-mortar tollbooths are needed, AET is less expensive to design and build. The overhead frames that house the tolling apparatus, called gantries, require less physical space and therefore fewer property acquisitions than traditional cash tollbooths.
--- End quote ---

Henry:
Sounds like they're really serious about building the Southern Beltway! It'll be interesting to see what will be done with the rest of the highway from I-79 east to where it ties into PA 43, assuming it gets the green light.

Sykotyk:
It will be great to go east on US22 into Pennsylvania and then bypass Pittsburgh to the south. Greentree Hill, the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and the aggravatingly congested during a lot of the day Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Can't wait. I'll gladly pay to go around if it's anywhere near peak traffic.

CanesFan27:

--- Quote from: Sykotyk on December 28, 2012, 01:32:51 AM ---It will be great to go east on US22 into Pennsylvania and then bypass Pittsburgh to the south. Greentree Hill, the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and the aggravatingly congested during a lot of the day Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Can't wait. I'll gladly pay to go around if it's anywhere near peak traffic.

--- End quote ---

Are you talking about yourself or on behalf of your great-grandchildren?

Sykotyk:
I hope to live long enough to see it. It's great getting to I-376 or the airport from Steubenville now with the toll road.

I'm not a fan of the 576/US22 interchange, though. I understand a cloverleaf would be tough (the hillside that is prohibitive), and direct ramps were probably very costly (especially if built to handle further expansion). But, I'm not a fan of a freeway interchanging a freeway with cross traffic. Even if separated from the main roadways.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version