News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Should US71 become a mod again?

Started by tolbs17, August 23, 2019, 03:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

I think he's one of the best and active mods. Should he become a moderator again because we used to have 16 staff members now we are down to 15. I think he was one of the best mods that I've seen (I wasn't registered yet but i did see some of the threads that he was a mod).

So what do you think guys?

hotdogPi

Yes. I think he was one of the best mods. A single comment unrelated to moderation should not be automatic desysopping; everyone makes the occasional blunder.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

There's a backstory there that I can't recall offhand about why he's not a mod anymore.

We've had some people drop out and come back, but I don't know the dynamics of those instances.

I've volunteered my services as a moderator in the past, but since I have a much more hands-off approach to moderation, I'm sure I'm not welcome to serve.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tolbs17

Quote from: hbelkins on August 23, 2019, 11:25:01 AM
There's a backstory there that I can't recall offhand about why he's not a mod anymore.

We've had some people drop out and come back, but I don't know the dynamics of those instances.

I've volunteered my services as a moderator in the past, but since I have a much more hands-off approach to moderation, I'm sure I'm not welcome to serve.
Well, he was a pretty good active mod. I think he needs to be one and be the 16th mod again or at least lock or ban users, and it was also fun for him using the blue text instead of purple.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 23, 2019, 05:05:10 AM
Yes. I think he was one of the best mods. A single comment unrelated to moderation should not be automatic desysopping; everyone makes the occasional blunder.

+1. Fully agree.

Quote from: hbelkins on August 23, 2019, 11:25:01 AM

I don't want to get this thread locked, because I think it's a good discussion to be having.
But anyways, here's what I remember: He made a comment that was interpreted as racist (and whatever it was, it has also been used by the 45th POTUS, if I recall). It was in this thread, but the entire segment of the thread has been deleted.

NE2

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2019, 01:38:06 PM
He made a comment that was interpreted as racist (and whatever it was, it has also been used by the 45th POTUS, if I recall).[/size]
"Trump said it" is one of the worst arguments for not being racist.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

webny99

Quote from: NE2 on August 23, 2019, 02:25:31 PM
He made a comment that was interpreted as racist (and whatever it was, it has also been used by the 45th POTUS, if I recall).[/size]

Well, yeah, obviously. I'm sure the comment was racist, but US 71 didn't say it with the intention of promoting racism, or to a huge Twitter audience, like Trump would. It was an honest blunder that just came out wrong, and I thought it seemed pretty harsh to remove him as a mod in response.

Roadgeekteen

Yes, he was a good mod. I honestly don't know why he is gone, it was only one incident.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on August 23, 2019, 11:25:01 AMI've volunteered my services as a moderator in the past, but since I have a much more hands-off approach to moderation, I'm sure I'm not welcome to serve.

I have expressed willingness to serve, but have never been asked.  I can certainly understand management being cautious about giving moderator powers to those who express a desire for them or even readiness to accept them.

The context of the discussion that led to US71 no longer being a moderator was South Asian motel owners.  It came up in the Schoharie limo crash thread because the owner of the limo company was a South Asian businessman (and FBI informant) who also owned at least one motel.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Anyone who keeps an inventory of old road signs in the trunk of his car deserves to be a moderator!   :awesomeface:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2019, 02:55:46 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 23, 2019, 02:25:31 PM

Well, yeah, obviously. I'm sure the comment was racist, but US 71 didn't say it with the intention of promoting racism, or to a huge Twitter audience, like Trump would. It was an honest blunder that just came out wrong, and I thought it seemed pretty harsh to remove him as a mod in response.

I remember the comment in question, and recognized the irony of it, given US71's political beliefs. But the whole premise went off the tracks with the incorrect labeling of "Mexican" as a race. It's a nationality. Just like American, or Canadian, or Australian, or Brazilian.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Why is some teenager, who has only been around AAroads for a month asking for someone to return as a mod? Especially since the episode that caused this change happened 18 months ago.  :confused: :hmmm: :hmm: :ninja: :poke:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 23, 2019, 08:43:18 PM
Why is some teenager, who has only been around AAroads for a month asking for someone to return as a mod? Especially since the episode that caused this change happened 18 months ago.  :confused: :hmmm: :hmm: :ninja: :poke:
He could have lurked before hand
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 23, 2019, 09:26:01 PM
He could have lurked before hand

And judging by this and a few other posts of his, he should've continued.

Note: I'm not weighing in on this subject one way or the other. I do think, however, that this is an inappropriate subject for open discussion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.