News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

High School Sports

Started by ozarkman417, August 31, 2019, 01:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

My school's football team just lost 42-0 to Natick  :banghead:.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

mgk920

Quote from: 1 on September 01, 2019, 04:42:46 PM
Quote from: english si on September 01, 2019, 03:49:24 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 01, 2019, 12:54:48 PMI always hated soccer. I can't use my hands just in case I want to move the ball, it's too complicated. Not my sport for me.
granted, toddlers struggle with "no hands", but seriously "complicated"? Sure the finer points might be difficult, but there's a reason it's played by young children all over the world unlike most other sports - it's pretty simple to get the basics!

The official rules for association football also take quite a lot fewer pages than baseball, basketball, American football, and hockey.

Isn't the FIFA rulebook it something like a 16 page pamphlet, complete with diagrams and some 'case law' decisions on those rules?  That is the ultimate in simplicity and allows a wide latitude for players to develop their own styles and strengths.

The baseball and NFL rulebooks, OTOH....    :-o

BTW, in most of the World outside of North America, schools are for academic things only, while if one wants to play sports beyond minor intramural stuff, he or she joins a local private sports club.  Those sports clubs then compete against other local sports clubs, representing their local communities, in the various sports and age levels - all the way up to the very top.  Yes, those big-name overseas football clubs (ie, Manchester United, Bayern München, Real Madrid, Juventus, etc) are all local private sports clubs just like any of the others.

Mike

thspfc

With soccer, I know firsthand that the upper levels of club soccer in the USA often feature more skilled players than HS soccer. Part of that is because players are able to switch clubs freely as they choose. Switching schools is not so straightforward. In fact, the DA soccer clubs (the best of the best of the best) don't allow their players to play for their schools.

mgk920

Just over a year ago (2018-08-17), the Fond du Lac, WI Cardinals defeated the Kimberly, WI Papermakers 31-28.  That was Kimberly's first loss in 71 games, a Wisconsin state record and the 13th longest ever high school football winning streak nationwide.  Kimberly is immediately east of Appleton, WI, with the two sharing a common border.

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2018/08/17/wisconsin-high-school-football-kimberly-fond-du-lac-wiaa-winning-streak/1025508002/

:-o

Mike

english si

Quote from: mgk920 on September 08, 2019, 12:13:12 PMBTW, in most of the World outside of North America, schools are for academic things only
There's minor intermural (between schools) and intramural (within schools) competitions for sports, but basically yes. Music and Drama tend to be a bit more even where outside clubs don't dominate school clubs as much.

Same for college/uni. There are exceptions, but Hogwarts caring a big deal about intramural Quidditch is not a common experience in British academia - I believe Rowling has said that it mostly exists because Hogwarts is modelled after British public schools (ie really posh selective private schools), and it is there where you find school sports being treated as something worth bothering with if you aren't in the squad.

tolbs17

Quote from: thspfc on September 02, 2019, 07:43:52 AM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 01, 2019, 12:54:48 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 01, 2019, 08:04:34 AM
I do play a high school soccer. We had three matches last week, won one and lost two.
I always hated soccer. I can't use my hands just in case I want to move the ball, it's too complicated. Not my sport for me.
I am sorry to hear that . . . ?
Yeah, I just don't play soccer. I only like basketball and i play some football too.

thspfc

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 08, 2019, 06:03:15 PM
I do play a high school soccer. We had three matches last week, won one and lost two.
I always hated soccer. I can't use my hands just in case I want to move the ball, it's too complicated. Not my sport for me.
Yeah, I just don't play soccer. I only like basketball and i play some football too.
Basketball is a good sport. It's what I would play if I had been more athletic when I was small, but since I was a potato, I resorted to picking on kids playing in-house rec soccer. I guess I was drawn to soccer and now I play it competitively 24/7.

Billy F 1988

I'm definitely happy for Frenchtown (MT) to get a big dub (W) beating Butte Central High School. They're no slackers in Class A football, I can tell you that much. After multiple Class B championships, they moved to Class A in 2003, took home back to back division titles, made it to the 2006 championship but got snake bit by Beaverhead County of Dillon, MT 21-20, and a few years later in 2009, they finally took the hardware taking down Billings Central, one of the toughest city schools in Yellowstone County next to Billings Skyview and Billings West, both Class AA powerhouses.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

US 89

Quote from: thspfc on September 08, 2019, 07:21:46 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on September 08, 2019, 06:03:15 PM
Basketball is a good sport. It's what I would play if I had been more athletic when I was small, but since I was a potato, I resorted to picking on kids playing in-house rec soccer. I guess I was drawn to soccer and now I play it competitively 24/7.

I played neighborhood rec league basketball, soccer, and baseball at various times growing up. I enjoyed them for the most part but didn't really have an interest in playing those at any competitive level. Baseball I stopped when I aged out of machine pitch and into the kid-pitch league. I enjoyed soccer but quit that around age 12, where the rec league stopped, and I think I played basketball through 8th grade.

I probably could have played basketball in high school, but I wound up playing golf instead. Completely different game. Since then I haven't played any organized sports other than college intramurals.

ozarkman417

My first cross country meet was a total bust :banghead: I got a 16:43 two mile when my record is 14:07. The fastest varsity runner ran a 16:00 5k approximately.

ozarkman417

*(B)ump*

At the beginning of this semester it was announced that all high schools in my district will be receiving "E-SPORTS" teams in co-operation with Contender E-Sports. This means students can play video games competitively against other schools (and possibly win scholarships) as if it were any other sport, there are even Varsity and Junior Varsity divisions. Unfortunately, the selection of games that will be played is rather limited. Some include: Smash Bros, Rocket League, Fortnite, and Apex Legends. I've been told out of all the schools in the district, mine has the most top ranked Smash Bros players, but I will not be partaking in this I am generally bad at video games. 

nexus73

Two of our smallest schools, the Pacific Pirates and the Powers Cruisers, had such low numbers for girls' basketball, that they combined to make one squad.  The name of the team is the Cruisin' Pirates. 

Oregon also has a case of where two small schools merged and wound up bringing in both monikers.  Ever hear of a team called the Tiger-Scots?  Truth is stranger than fiction!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Desert Man

My high school alma mater name: the Aztecs based in the Palm Springs area CA (the Southwest US not far from Mexico) has played local teams with names like Rajahs (Indio, close to the country name India) and Arabs (desert location and date palm groves), also Blackhawks (like the NHL team in Chicago), Lions (no known minor baseball team has that name) and Indians (the indigenous Cahuilla approve the mascot name). 3 new high schools near me have the (Silver) Knights, (Golden) Eagles and very plain Rams. They make up the Desert Valley League aka "The D-ten" and now "D-dozen" when you include 4 other high schools (now that's 13, though my local news source said the high school where the Golden Eagles are may close due to poor academic performance) with names like Bears, Tigers, Trojans and Wildcats. The newest high school near me is the Rattlers, so there should be 14, split into two 7-team divisions.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.