News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have you ever built a computer?

Started by roadgeek01, August 18, 2020, 10:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would best describe your computer?

Pre-built
5 (20%)
Custom-built
9 (36%)
Laptop or all-in-one
10 (40%)
Mobile device
0 (0%)
I don't have a computer
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: September 01, 2020, 10:05:48 PM

roadgeek01

I have built a computer, and I wonder if anyone else here has at all.  If you have, what has been your experience with your computer?  If you haven't, would you ever consider building one, or do you intend on continuing to buy pre-built devices?
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

Max Rockatansky

Several back on the mid to late 1990s.  They were all DOS or early Windows computers and nowhere near as advanced as today's stuff.  I did a lot of hard drive transfers from computers that broke down also. 

ozarkman417

I am typing this on a computer I built myself. I watched a friend of mine build a computer of his own today. If you are building a mid to high end machine (gaming/CAD/heavy processing/bitcoin usage), I would build it. Not only do you get to decide your parts (and your budget as a result), it is more cost effective.

My specs: AMD RX580 (GPU, most important part when gaming), Intel 8600K (CPU) Corsair 3000 Mhz 16GB (RAM), MSI Tomhawk Z370 (Motherboard). Seagate Barricuda 2TB HDD paired with Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD (Storage). In terms of gaming PCs at the time (mid 2018), it is considered mid-range.

Cost to build: $1,100 when case, fans, cooling, and OS is taken into account.

However, it was more expensive to build then than it would be today, because of the Bitcoin Rush. Not only that, but the parts have aged since then. You could probably build that same setup for 800-900 dollars today.

roadgeek01

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 18, 2020, 11:16:15 PM
I am typing this on a computer I built myself. I watched a friend of mine build a computer of his own today. If you are building a mid to high end machine (gaming/CAD/heavy processing/bitcoin usage), I would build it. Not only do you get to decide your parts (and your budget as a result), it is more cost effective.

My specs: AMD RX580 (GPU, most important part when gaming), Intel 8600K (CPU) Corsair 3000 Mhz 16GB (RAM), MSI Tomhawk Z370 (Motherboard). Seagate Barricuda 2TB HDD paired with Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD (Storage). In terms of gaming PCs at the time (mid 2018), it is considered mid-range.

Cost to build: $1,100 when case, fans, cooling, and OS is taken into account.

However, it was more expensive to build then than it would be today, because of the Bitcoin Rush. Not only that, but the parts have aged since then. You could probably build that same setup for 800-900 dollars today.

I actually have that same graphics card.  However, I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X rather than an Intel chip.  I also have 32GB ram only because Cities: Skylines can eat memory like candy if you download too many assets and props, like me.  My system cost about the same as yours. 
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

kkt

I've assembled computers a few times.  It's kind of fun, and you do get to control exactly what components you're getting - which someplace like Dell will not allow you to do.  It means it's up to you to research what your OS needs and what components will work, and it does take some time.

capt.ron

First computer I built was one for my brother way back in late 1999. I have run custom built computers (or highly modified OEM's) since 2000. I will never go back to store bought.

Scott5114

My current computer is the first (and so far only) one I've built myself. Won't ever do a pre-built again. For the same price, you can get a way nicer machine doing it yourself. And you get to install your OS of choice on the bare metal, without all the pre-loaded crap the manufacturer wants to force on you.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

I have given someone else the specs and had them build it.  It's been a great computer for almost a decade (!), but it is time for an upgrade.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

I considered building my own this past winter with the end of Windows 7, but I was just starting a new job and didn't have time to mess around with all that, so I bought one that was already configured. I may turn my old PC into a NAS rig when I have the spare time, though there are other things that are higher priorities right now.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zzcarp

I put together several computers in the late 90's-early 2000's. I can still perform some maintenance on them, but I haven't taken the time short of memory upgrades and hard drive replacements lately.
So many miles and so many roads

wolfiefrick

I'm typing this on a computer I built myself a few months ago. I'm a graphic designer (see 90% of my posts; I'm very active over in Road-Related Illustrations), so I've always been a Mac person, but it was time I moved to the dark side and built a gaming machine to take with me to school.

I spent about $1,300 at Micro Center on parts to build it:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (overclocked to 4 GHz from 3.6 GHz, all Zen 2 CPUs have unlocked multipliers  8-)  )
Memory: 16 GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 RAM
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (8 GB of GDDR6 VRAM)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 mATX Cube Chassis
PSU: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Modular (never cheap out on your PSU!)
Storage: Inland 250 GB M.2 NVMe SSD (for booting), WD Caviar Blue 1 TB HDD (for Steam library and other storage)
Display: LG 29WN600-W (in English, that's a 29" 21:9 ultra-widescreen monitor)
Peripherals: Steelseries Apex 7 with blue switches, Logitech MX Master 3, Steelseries Arctis 5 headset

For networking, I'm hooked straight into ethernet. My school has a 10 Gb fiber connection with gigabit networking in all the dorms.

Best decision I ever made, building this machine. It wasn't like I'd never used Windows before, but I've used my PC so much that on the 16-inch MacBook Pro I use for school and design work, I find myself occasionally using my pinky to strike the Control key for keyboard shortcuts.

Scott5114

Quote from: wolfiefrick on August 26, 2020, 11:27:33 PM
I'm typing this on a computer I built myself a few months ago. I'm a graphic designer (see 90% of my posts; I'm very active over in Road-Related Illustrations), so I've always been a Mac person, but it was time I moved to the dark side and built a gaming machine to take with me to school.

Come over to the light side... graphic design has gotten surprisingly mature on Linux. Basically the only thing that's awkward anymore is proofing stuff for CMYK, and that's just a matter of using extensions to port files from one to the other.

I won't say I'm a professional artist, but I have produced a commercial product doing all of the graphical design work on Linux. So it's possible.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

In_Correct

There are a few times Apple Computers were at school, Mostly various "Hard Drive Is Optional" Apple Computers, but one classroom had the Pizza Box Computers.

In 2008 I decided to get them for myself, to find out and be disappointed that Apple had evolved horribly. My computer was the Blue And White G3 with A.D.B. (and also an A.D.B. key board for it) Port I began adding hardware to be able to run Mac OS X Tiger Edition but I resumed Mac OS 9.2.2 instead. Today I have several computers ... iMac G3s with the maximum possible upgrades (but still Mac OS 9.2.2) and Clam Shell iBooks with maximum possible upgrades (again with the same operating system) ... any future collection is going to be mostly Laptops and from that time period.

I had several old I.B.M. computers that I took apart and put back together. Some I.B.M. look very old but worked with a newer Canon Bubble Jet printer.

I have purchased the easiest to find computer ... just what every they are selling, which has all ways seemed to be Hewlett Packards. How ever, they are the ones with the longest (with numeric key pad) key board) , at least 4 cores, the A.M.D. processor, and the largest screen (at least 17 inch) which narrows down to only one or two results. I have upgraded R.A.M. on them, and the spare chargers, and the spare batteries, and the hard drives ... but I am upgrading again to the S.S.D. Internal Hard Drives. ( I also have various external hard drives with adapters as well as just U.S.B. devices and S.D. and Micro S.D. Devices. ) I have replaced screens, Power Button Boards, WiFi Cards, Ethernet / U.S.B. Daughter Card, Mother Board Key Boards, ... the charger outlet ... the and the "case" of the laptop, which includes WiFi Antennas that I installed successfully.

Does this count? I have literally built a laptop by searching for a used Mother Board and buying one spare part after the other to see if I could assemble. I also the unfortunately I am no expert, I have taped a laptop together with packaging tape. How ever, it was three years ago and have been using since. I am typing on it now.

I intend to buy more of the Laptops, and also be cause to solve the problem I mentioned about the screen not being large enough, ... then I am looking at the very large screen All In One Desktops ... these are essentially Laptops with no batteries. How ever, I am going to plug in to Halo Device.

As for customizing a computer to the extent of being able to select a completely different operating system ... I have not done that yet.

When I do, It shall be the A.R.M. computers with the R.I.S.C. O.S. ...

My favourite office device is the Brother Office Devices. Network (WiFi and Ethernet also) with expanded R.A.M. and additional tray Printer Scanner Copier Fax device. That is the colour printing, but even the mini Black & White printing I also have (from Brother) turn on wait 5 seconds and then it says ready. Another colour laser printer is Samsung ...

And to answer part of the poll ( I can only select one option. ) my favourite mobile devices are the Samsung With Removable Batteries. I have numerous; One I consider a dedicated .mp3 player, another I consider a dedicated camera / camcorder , ... also with Micro S.D. Cards.

Also going to mention the time I had the Micron P.C. Transport G.X. computer. A very unfamiliar computer that I foolishly bought be cause every thing needed replaced. I never thought I would ever find the replacement parts. But I found every replacement part, including the screen. It is the first time I replaced a laptop screen. Also, that one was put back together with only screws, not tape. It functioned for a while with Windows X.P. Professional, but the power L.E.D. is not functioning any more.

I also consider purchasing old, but in perfect condition, (and thus expensive) laptops that have The Windows 2000 Professional, such as the Toshiba Tecra 8100 ... as I play the vintage games ( Best Of Windows Entertainment Package, as well as any game that goes as far as the Windows X.P. does. ) as often as I play the games and software on the 9.2.2 Clam Shell iBooks. The reason I do that is because I play The Vintage Games on the older computers, not with emulators.

... I have only recently tried successfully to run the vintage Windows games with the Windows 8 and 10.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Pink Jazz

My desktop:

• CPU - Intel Core i5-8600K
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX
  • Graphics Card - MSI AMD Radeon RX 590 OC
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 80+ Platinum
  • HDD - Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB
  • Case - Rosewill Bradley-M Mid-Tower
  • Optical Drive - LG WH16NS40 BD-R Drive
Sometime next year, I plan to swap out the HDD for an M.2 SSD.

SSOWorld

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VzTMGG

This is a box that got rebuilt.  I reused the existing case, cooler, dvd drive and the old SSD just sits there for no reason now.  This was due to the secondary spinner drive head crashing (Taking most of my 2016 road trip photos with it). 

I recently bought a modular laptop that can add a second M.2 SSD and up to 32 gb of memory.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Pink Jazz

My grandfather's computer that I built:

• CPU - AMD A6-7400K APU
  • Motherboard - MSI AMD A68HM Grenade mATX
  • RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB
  • PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 80+ Gold 700W
  • HDD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
  • Case - Rosewill RANGER-M Mini-Tower
  • Sound Card - ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E
  • Optical Drive - LG GH24NSC0B DVD+/-RW Drive

Pink Jazz

As as side note, in my HP Pavilion 15t laptop, I upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 16GB, and replaced the existing 1TB HGST 5400RPM HDD with a Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD.

For my desktop I am considering a 2TB Sabrent Rocket, although I am debating whether I should keep the existing Seagate HDD for personal files or if I should sell it.  If I keep it I will have 6TB total storage.

ClassicHasClass

The Raptor Blackbird I have as an HTPC I built from the motherboard and CPU on up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.