News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Similarly named municipalities in the same state

Started by hotdogPi, January 18, 2021, 09:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Nothing adjacent or intentional. Non-US is allowed, using equivalents of states.

Allen and McAllen, Texas (lesser is 105k)
Benton and Bentonville, Arkansas (lesser is 36k)
Otego, Owego, Otsego, and Oswego, New York (second highest is 18k)
Medford and Medfield, Massachusetts (lesser is 12k)
Rochester (city) and Rochester (town), New York (lesser is 7k)
Belmar and Bellmawr, New Jersey (lesser is slightly under 6k)
Boston and Bolton, Massachusetts (lesser is slightly under 5k)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Max Rockatansky

California has two unincorporated communities called Elk.  There is a other unincorporated community called Elk Creek and a City called Elk Grove.  I know only one of those is a municipality but it is kind of interesting how many "Elk"  oriented communities there are.  There are bunch of cities and unincorporated communities that once were called Dog Town during their early days. 

Big John

Wisconsin has Menominie and Menomonee Falls, (plus Menominee Michigan, which is on the Wisconsin border). Note that they're spelled differently.

frankenroad

Michigan has Manistee and Manistique.  Also Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island (both pronounced MACK-in-aw).   One is in Mackinac County, and one is not.

Ohio has Arlington Heights and Upper Arlington (Upper Arlington is actually on higher ground between two rivers.  Arlington Hts is in a valley)

I'm sure I'll think of more....

2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Flint1979

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 18, 2021, 09:54:02 AM
California has two unincorporated communities called Elk.  There is a other unincorporated community called Elk Creek and a City called Elk Grove.  I know only one of those is a municipality but it is kind of interesting how many "Elk"  oriented communities there are.  There are bunch of cities and unincorporated communities that once were called Dog Town during their early days.
California has 4 places with the name Walnut
Walnut Grove in the Sacramento area
Walnut Creek in Contra Costa county
Walnut in the San Gabriel Valley area of Los Angeles County.

Walnut Park also in LA County

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut_Park,_California

NWI_Irish96

Indiana has Greensburg, Greentown, Greenville, Greenfield, Greencastle, Greensboro, Green Fork and Etna Green.

NONE of them are in Greene County.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

I-55

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 18, 2021, 11:54:04 AM
Indiana has Greensburg, Greentown, Greenville, Greenfield, Greencastle, Greensboro, Green Fork and Etna Green.

NONE of them are in Greene County.

Not to mention Huntertown, Huntingburg and Huntington
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

kphoger

These conversations always make me think of ...

Quote from: kphoger on June 11, 2020, 10:12:14 AM
... Frank Zappa.

Quote from: Billy the Mountain
However, we can assure parents in the Southern California area that a recent narcotics crack-down, in Torrance, Hawthorne, Lomita, Westchester, Playa Del Rey, Santa Monica, Tujunga, Sunland, San Fernando, Pacoima, Sylmar, Newhall, Canoga Park, Palmdale, Glendale, Irwindale, Rolling Hills, Granada Hills, Shadow Hills, Cheviot Hills, will provide the secret evidence the Palmdale Grand Jury has needed to seek a criminal inictment, and pave the way for stiffer legislation, increased federal aid, and avert a crippling strike of bartenders and veterinarians throughout the inland empire...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

Several examples I can think now:
Santa Clara and Santa Clarita, California. The first by San José, the second north of Los Angeles.
Walcott and Walnut, at opposite ends of Iowa along I-80.
I remember reading the Big Island of Hawaii, Oahu and Kauai all had places named Waimea.

Quote from: Big John on January 18, 2021, 10:37:13 AM
Wisconsin has Menominie and Menomonee Falls, (plus Menominee Michigan, which is on the Wisconsin border). Note that they're spelled differently.

Gotcha, I was about to say that. Also, the first is Menomonie.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Konza

Forest Park, and Park Forest, both in the Chicago suburbs.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

Takumi

Virginia has Richmond County and the City of Richmond, which are about an hour apart.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

Albertville and Albert Lea, MN, which some people locally do get crossed up.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Quote from: Takumi on January 18, 2021, 03:14:28 PM
Virginia has Richmond County and the City of Richmond, which are about an hour apart.

Also the separate independent cities of Manassas and Manassas Park, which are close together.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

hbelkins

Morganfield and Morgantown, Ky. (Neither in Morgan County)

Clay and Clay City, Ky. (Neither in Clay County).

Martinsburg and New Martinsville, WV. (I've always wondered if New Martinsville was named to distinguish it from Martinsville, Va.; if West Virginia hadn't broken from Virginia, the two would still be in the same state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ilpt4u

San Jose and St Joseph, Illinois - my experience in both towns is both refer to themselves as "Saint Joe"  but if someone with more time in either/both wish to confirm or dispute that, feel free

West Frankfort and Frankfort, Illinois - Frankfort is about 255 miles north (and slightly east) of West Frankfort

Streamwood and Shorewood, Illinois - Not super similar, but similar enough I used to get them confused when I lived in Northern IL

McLean and McLeansboro, Illinois

Zion and Mt Zion, Illinois

Oak ______, Illinois

Hoffman and Hoffman Estates, Illinois

Vernon, Mt Vernon, Vernon Hills, Illinois

Highland and Highland Park, Illinois

Elizabeth and Elizabethtown, Illinois - basically in opposite corners of the state (Far NW and Far SE). There is also an Eliza, Illinois

Dixon and Dixon Springs, Illinois

I'm sure there are more across the state

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 18, 2021, 07:20:52 PM
West Frankfurt and Frankfurt, Illinois - Frankfort is about 255 miles north (and slightly east) of West Frankfort

No, folks:  for those of you keeping count, that is not four different towns.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2021, 07:41:39 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 18, 2021, 07:20:52 PM
West Frankfurt and Frankfurt, Illinois - Frankfort is about 255 miles north (and slightly east) of West Frankfort

No, folks:  for those of you keeping count, that is not four different towns.
Whoops - spelling error

West Frankfort and Frankfort, Illinois

EpicRoadways

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 18, 2021, 03:18:44 PM
Albertville and Albert Lea, MN, which some people locally do get crossed up.
For my nomination, I'd head a few more miles down I-94 and go with Rogers and Rochester. That one always surprises me, but it's a common mix-up (at least in central MN). There's also the whole Brooklyn Park/Brooklyn Center deal that I don't really want to get into  :-D.

US 89

Utah has so many "Spring" named places it's hard to keep them straight:

- Springdale: town in southern Utah known as the gateway to Zion National Park
- Springdell: mostly-abandoned community halfway up Provo Canyon
- Springville: Utah County city and by far the largest of the Springs, used to be its own thing but is more a Provo suburb now
- Spring City: small city in Sanpete County, was on original US 89 before it was bypassed
- Spring Glen: community and CDP next to Helper, on original US 50
- Spring Lake: community and CDP in southern Utah County, on original US 91

There are also a bunch of Cedars:
- Cedar City: by far the most important, a significant city and regional hub in southwest Utah that's home to Southern Utah University
- Cedar Fort: small town on SR 73 west of Utah Valley, in the Cedar Valley (we'll get to that later)
- Cedar Highlands: essentially an HOA in the mountains above Cedar City that has been incorporated into its own town
- Cedar Hills: Utah County suburb
- Cedar Valley: not a settlement, but the Postal Service's name for the 84013 ZIP code which includes Cedar Fort and Fairfield. Also the name of the valley those communities lie in - not to be confused with the other Cedar Valley in southern Utah, where Cedar City is.

Others:
- Central and Central Valley: both small farm towns, but one is in the mountains north of St George and the other is in the Sevier Valley. To make things more confusing, Central Valley used to just be Central and still appears as such on some maps.
- Fairfield and Fairview: both small rural farm towns - one in western Utah County, the other in Sanpete County.
- Fountain Green and Mountain Green: both are on located on the eastern side of a mountain range. Fountain Green is the incorporated one, but Mountain Green is more than twice as big.
- Garden City and Garden: Garden City is the town on the southwest shore of Bear Lake where US 89 comes down from Logan Canyon. Garden isn't really an actual community, but it's the CDP just to the south.
- Midvale and Midway: one is a SLC suburb, the other a farming and resort town on the other side of the mountains.
- Pleasant Grove and Pleasant View: both suburbs - one of Provo, the other of Ogden
- West Point, West Haven, West Warren, West Weber: these would be easier to keep straight if they weren't all in the same general area west of Ogden. Farr West is also up there.

Oh Berlin and New Berlin right across Interstate 72 from each other.

ilpt4u

Athens and New Athens, Illinois

Ellisville and Ellis Grove, Illinois

Harristown and Harrisburg, Illinois

Christopher and Chrisman, Illinois

jp the roadgeek

CT has (not including small villages):

Norwalk and Norwich
Plainville and Plainfield
Waterbury, Watertown, and Waterford (all but the last are together)
New, East, North, and West Haven
Milford and New Milford
Preston and New Preston
Canaan, New Canaan, and North Canaan (the last of which contains the village of Canaan)
Hamden, Hampton and East Hampton (guess which Hampton is farther east?)
Lyme, Old Lyme, and East Lyme
Killingworth and Killingly
Middlefield and Middletown
Fairfield and New Fairfield
Stamford and Stratford
Windsor, Windsor Locks, East Windsor, and South Windsor
Old Saybrook and Westbrook
Haddam and East Haddam
Ashford and Eastford
Woodstock and Woodbury
Bridgeport and Bridgewater
Southington and Stonington (and North Stonington)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.