AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Reopening the covid threads  (Read 14210 times)

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
Reopening the covid threads
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:52:25 PM »

Both COVID threads had a lock reason saying they were temporary. Neither one has been reopened.

It's been a while since both of those threads were posted in, I think that they deserve to get another shot.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Reopening the covid threads
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:54:16 PM »

Keep them buried and dead I say, they always ended up as a cluster fuck by the time they were locked.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 09:55:07 PM »

Keep them buried and dead I say, they always ended up as a cluster fuck by the time they were locked.
I think if we all stay civil and don't resort to personal insults it's fine. There were some good debates on them, but the mods shut them down.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:56:57 PM »

I think if we all stay civil and don't resort to personal insults it's fine. There were some good debates on them, but the mods shut them down.

They won’t stay civil. 

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »

They won’t stay civil.
Maybe we have separate definitions of civil. I am a fan of disagreeing and arguing with people with different viewpoints, it's fun.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:08:56 PM »

Given the no politics rule (which seems to be more strictly enforced as of late; some stuff in the Thruway thread was removed and it was road-adjacent enough that I was surprised it was nuked) and how political just about everything with COVID has become, I would not expect the mods to ever reopen those threads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 10:11:30 PM »

I normally am happy with the mods but they have been very remove-heavy lately which is pretty annoying, with the Thruway thread and even the bedroom discussion in the FritzOwl thread.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 10:26:03 PM »

Hear, hear.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 10:58:50 PM »

They won’t stay civil.
Maybe we have separate definitions of civil. I am a fan of disagreeing and arguing with people with different viewpoints, it's fun.

I like to think that I was one of the more neutral and level headed posters in those COVID threads.  That being the case the following was directed at me:

-  I was told my wife hates humanity because she wants a child and was hesitant to get vaccinated because she wants to get pregnant.
-  I was also told my wife wants to the pandemic go on and wants people to suffer because she was hesitant to get a vaccine.  (Worth noting; my wife is a health care worker)
-  In the original thread I was told that I was selfish and didn’t care about others because I didn’t “enjoy”  wearing a mask. 

Now I’m just the tip of the iceberg with those threads.  Perhaps we can discuss COVID in our private lives or even in a work setting, but we have failed miserably here as a group in doing so. Why do we need another COVID thread after both failed so spectacularly? 

It probably is worth noting that most of us (one way or another) have started to move on and resume normalcy in our lives.  In fact, one of the largest road meets in a very long time was just held out east.  We should be talking about things like that and not more COVID topics.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 11:07:23 PM »

I much rather listen to the soundtrack of Crazybus than another COVID thread:

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 11:26:10 PM »

That's the big if, isn't it? Given that we had to delete 48 posts from the main covid thread due to incivility...

Furthermore, if you want to argue with people about covid, why must that be a service this forum provides? Is there no other website that would allow that? What about a real-world forum like a city council meeting? (You might really enjoy city council meetings if you like arguing with people about random topics.)

I normally am happy with the mods but they have been very remove-heavy lately which is pretty annoying, with the Thruway thread and even the bedroom discussion in the FritzOwl thread.

There have been 8 post-removal occurrences since July 1. There were 10 in June and 15 in May. (I am counting each string of several posts removed at one time from one thread as one occurrence.) So if anything we're about on par for where we were last month and less remove-heavy than in May.

Given the no politics rule (which seems to be more strictly enforced as of late; some stuff in the Thruway thread was removed and it was road-adjacent enough that I was surprised it was nuked) and how political just about everything with COVID has become, I would not expect the mods to ever reopen those threads.

The posts removed from the Thruway thread were primarily about how the owners of a certain mediocre chicken restaurant choose to spend their money advancing certain political goals. While that has some impact on said mediocre chicken restaurant being chosen (or not) as a Thruway vendor, it was off-topic and political enough that a moderator chose to remove those posts. (I actually went back and found a few that were removed in error and restored them. It was my pleasure.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 11:55:01 PM »

Although a lot of the post-removal instances had up to several pages removed. I do think that covid discussion might not fit super well on the forum.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 01:23:52 AM »

Both COVID threads had a lock reason saying they were temporary. Neither one has been reopened.

It's been a while since both of those threads were posted in, I think that they deserve to get another shot.

Only if everyone who posts in it also gets a shot.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 01:29:07 AM »

a shot of what

tolbs17

• Last Login: March 31, 2022, 07:24:24 PM
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 01:36:14 AM »

Seems like a good idea to know who is vaccinated and not.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 01:56:43 AM »

a shot of what
A shot from the corcock
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 03:06:13 AM
Re: Reopening the coronavirus threads
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 05:55:43 AM »

I'm receiving my first shot in a few moments and due to those threads being locked I have no place to vent about that in this forum (except maybe the "Minor things that DON'T bother you" thread). Seeing the vaccination stats here in Spain the wait has been worth.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

index

• Chief Sisyphean Affairs Officer

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 06:42:34 PM
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 08:53:59 AM »

They won’t stay civil.

I like to think that I was one of the more neutral and level headed posters in those COVID threads.  That being the case the following was directed at me:

-  I was told my wife hates humanity because she wants a child and was hesitant to get vaccinated because she wants to get pregnant.
-  I was also told my wife wants to the pandemic go on and wants people to suffer because she was hesitant to get a vaccine.  (Worth noting; my wife is a health care worker)
-  In the original thread I was told that I was selfish and didn’t care about others because I didn’t “enjoy” wearing a mask. 

It seems the vast majority of people have absolutely no nuance or reason when it comes to this topic. You either enjoy hunkering down in your home for weeks on end and you love putting on a full-body suit every time you go outside, and only for bare essentials, or you're a selfish asshole who thinks the pandemic isn't an issue, to one side. To the other side, you either swim in toxic waste, believe the vaccine is full of micro-aliens, and sneeze directly into other people's mouths while ignoring all public health advice, or you're an authoritarian who wants to see the government take control of everything and turn into a Hollywood portrayal of a communist dictatorship,

I remember visiting Western North Carolina during the pandemic and getting absolutely death-stared in some settings for wearing a mask as if I just microwaved a puppy. I have also been called a variety of colorful political slurs by somebody I was in a chat room with for traveling during the pandemic. To the mountains. To sight-see. An activity that famously involves no other people.

Everybody has become so high on moral righteousness and thinking they're better than everyone else with this event and for what reason?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

74/171FAN

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 09:41:34 AM »

Yep, yep, yep, and yep.  These threads are not worth recovering.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 09:49:00 AM »

(as if this is the third thread – please keep it civil, because we know what happened to the first two)

What's causing cases in Massachusetts to be rising the third fastest of the fifty states? It's one of the top vaccinated states (as is Vermont, which is rising fourth fastest). While it's rising from a very low basepoint, I'm still really worried. What's even stranger is that it varies by state despite the states being so small in area – New Hampshire and Maine are rising slowly (no state is decreasing), and this was also true for Connecticut until about a week ago.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JoePCool14

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 09:54:48 PM
    • My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 10:03:03 AM »

Hear, hear.

Thirded. I would peak at them, but I kept my thoughts out because they were such a mess. The virus is entirely political at this point, whether you like it or not, so I do not think it warrants a spot on this forum.

And honestly, I'm sick and tired of even hearing about it. I'm annoyed with hearing people tell me to "stay safe" working in grocery, even if it is well-meaning. So having more of that around here does not appeal to me.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 55+ Clinches | 225+ Traveled | 7000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »

Hear, hear.

Thirded. I would peak at them, but I kept my thoughts out because they were such a mess. The virus is entirely political at this point, whether you like it or not, so I do not think it warrants a spot on this forum.

And honestly, I'm sick and tired of even hearing about it. I'm annoyed with hearing people tell me to "stay safe" working in grocery, even if it is well-meaning. So having more of that around here does not appeal to me.

As an aside the whole modern advent of “safety culture”  might be interesting to discuss. 

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 01:07:00 PM »

(as if this is the third thread – please keep it civil, because we know what happened to the first two)

What's causing cases in Massachusetts to be rising the third fastest of the fifty states? It's one of the top vaccinated states (as is Vermont, which is rising fourth fastest). While it's rising from a very low basepoint, I'm still really worried. What's even stranger is that it varies by state despite the states being so small in area – New Hampshire and Maine are rising slowly (no state is decreasing), and this was also true for Connecticut until about a week ago.
Delta is spreading, we should peak lower than the other states.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 03:14:14 PM »

When my son and I were interviewed by the local TV station upon coming out of a vaccination clinic a few months ago, I had no place to link to the video on here, because all the COVID threads had been locked.

Consider the source.

H.B. and I both identify as vaccinated.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »

Why? What are you going to do with that information? As far as I know you can't transmit coronaviruses through the internet. (If you could, I'd be doubly protected, by Pfizer and Linux.) Could potentially be relevant if you went to a road meet, but if you care enough about covid to want to know, you'd probably be either vaccinated yourself (in which case it doesn't matter to you very much whether everyone else is) or would decide to stay home (because you can't guarantee everyone at the roadmeet is telling the truth about whether they're vaccinated or not).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.