AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Reopening the covid threads  (Read 14214 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 09:54:50 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Reopening the covid threads
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 03:28:54 PM »

-  I was told my wife hates humanity because she wants a child and was hesitant to get vaccinated because she wants to get pregnant.

Consider the source.

Only if everyone who posts in it also gets a shot.

I did, I have no reason to believe “that person”  wouldn’t be sitting in wait to derail another thread if someone’s opinion didn’t align fully with their world views. 

renegade

• Change my mind.

• Last Login: November 23, 2021, 02:27:24 PM
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »

Keep them buried and dead I say, they always ended up as a cluster fuck by the time they were locked.
Those who feel the need to 'discuss' this and 'document' that are certainly free to do so on 'social media.'

In other words, take that shit over to Fakebook.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2021, 03:31:18 PM »

Keep them buried and dead I say, they always ended up as a cluster fuck by the time they were locked.
Those who feel the need to 'discuss' this and 'document' that are certainly free to do so on 'social media.'

In other words, take that shit over to Fakebook.

Which is where most of the conversation here migrated anyways.  In fact the last time I talked about a COVID topic was with the Roadwaywiz group chat. 

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2021, 03:52:05 PM »

So, if I'm following correctly, this is just the new covid thread, right?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2021, 03:53:36 PM »

I wouldn’t say so, nobody is really discussing anything current like the previous two threads.

CtrlAltDel

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 03:56:40 PM »

I wouldn’t say so, nobody is really discussing anything current like the previous two threads.

I can't say I agree. For example:

What's causing cases in Massachusetts to be rising the third fastest of the fifty states? It's one of the top vaccinated states (as is Vermont, which is rising fourth fastest). While it's rising from a very low basepoint, I'm still really worried. What's even stranger is that it varies by state despite the states being so small in area – New Hampshire and Maine are rising slowly (no state is decreasing), and this was also true for Connecticut until about a week ago.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 04:01:12 PM »

I guess.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 04:05:21 PM »

Seems like a good idea to know who is vaccinated and not.

Why? What are you going to do with that information?

Kind of like those 'VACCINATED!' stickers I could have gotten after receiving the shot.  Why the heck would I want one of those?  Why would I want to go around telling people that?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2021, 04:06:47 PM »

What's causing cases in Massachusetts to be rising the third fastest of the fifty states? It's one of the top vaccinated states (as is Vermont, which is rising fourth fastest). While it's rising from a very low basepoint, I'm still really worried. What's even stranger is that it varies by state despite the states being so small in area – New Hampshire and Maine are rising slowly (no state is decreasing), and this was also true for Connecticut until about a week ago.

One post replies isn’t really a true discussion though.  Really all that is been consistently discussed is if the previous threads should be reopened and the reasonings. 

kphoger

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2021, 04:10:43 PM »

I'm less informed since the threads were locked, but I'm also a happier person.  That probably also has to do with my having gotten rid of my smartphone, so I'm not watching or reading politics anymore either.
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 04:16:00 PM »

What's causing cases in Massachusetts to be rising the third fastest of the fifty states? It's one of the top vaccinated states (as is Vermont, which is rising fourth fastest). While it's rising from a very low basepoint, I'm still really worried. What's even stranger is that it varies by state despite the states being so small in area — New Hampshire and Maine are rising slowly (no state is decreasing), and this was also true for Connecticut until about a week ago.

One post replies isn’t really a true discussion though.  Really all that is been consistently discussed is if the previous threads should be reopened and the reasonings.

It's not like that's the only one, though. And even if it were, it's unlikely it would stay that way.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 04:32:13 PM »

Seems like a good idea to know who is vaccinated and not.

Why? What are you going to do with that information?

Kind of like those 'VACCINATED!' stickers I could have gotten after receiving the shot.  Why the heck would I want one of those?  Why would I want to go around telling people that?
I agree with the concept of the sticker, but a sticker is not going to cut it for proof of vaccination.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »

I agree with the concept of the sticker

And what is that concept?

Why should I care if the people around me know my vaccination status?
I didn't get vaccinated for how it would influence other people's feelings.
Male pronouns, please.

• Last Login: Today at 10:03:00 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2021, 04:54:34 PM »

Many places here say masks required unless fully vaccinated. That said, since stickers only last one day, many people without stickers are vaccinated, and those with stickers haven’t gone through the two-week period.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 04:56:31 PM »

You might not care, but businesses and other establishments could very well care. A sticker is not the best way though, I support vaccine passports.

kphoger

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »

Many places here say masks required unless fully vaccinated. That said, since stickers only last one day, many people without stickers are vaccinated, and those with stickers haven’t gone through the two-week period.

Considering that I could just buy a 'VACCINATED!' sticker online, regardless of my vaccination status, I don't see what good they do.

You might not care, but businesses and other establishments could very well care. A sticker is not the best way though, I support vaccine passports.

Are the stickers even supposed to be equivalent to a passport?  I see them as analogous to the 'I GAVE BLOOD TODAY!' stickers:  a posturing device intended to inform everyone else what a good person the wearer is and to guilt-trip them into doing likewise.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 07:31:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »

I got one for my first vaccination in Ada back in the spring, and wore it around town when we went to hang out with my wife's grandma afterward. I figured if someone saw it and hadn't heard that they had started doing covid vaccinations in Ada, or that they had just become available for younger people, it could lead them to look into it and get themselves a vaccination. I didn't bother getting a sticker for my second dose two weeks later, and were I getting a vaccination now, I wouldn't get one, because by this point everyone should know that covid vaccines are generally available should they want to get one.

I'm less informed since the threads were locked, but I'm also a happier person.  That probably also has to do with my having gotten rid of my smartphone, so I'm not watching or reading politics anymore either.

Eh, I don't know about that. There was a lot of stuff that was being posted in the first covid thread in 2020 that was outright wrong. One of the reasons that I was uncomfortable with us keeping the thread open was that I felt somewhat responsible if someone got wrong info from our forum and based a consequential decision on it (I know that legally Section 230 protections would mean the forum/its staff wouldn't be legally liable, but I would feel morally responsible).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 06:14:19 PM by Scott5114 »
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »

Considering that I could just buy a 'VACCINATED!' sticker online, regardless of my vaccination status, I don't see what good they do.

Are the stickers even supposed to be equivalent to a passport?  I see them as analogous to the 'I GAVE BLOOD TODAY!' stickers:  a posturing device intended to inform everyone else what a good person the wearer is and to guilt-trip them into doing likewise.

Funny, my wife wants me to put her “I donate X amount of blood”  plate holder on her car.  I told her I’ll do it if she gets me 52 of the 13.1 window stickers for last year. 

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2021, 06:23:45 PM »

Not stickers, but I was talking about some sort of vaccine passport.

dlsterner

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:31 AM
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 08:05:17 PM »

What is the relevance with a sticker?  It does not indicate anything one way or another.  To me, they are analogous to the "I voted" stickers they sometimes hand out at polling places.  Some people wear them, some people toss them.

When I got my shots, nobody handed me a sticker either time.  Only proof I have is the index card.

Roadgeekteen

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2021, 08:08:45 PM »

What is the relevance with a sticker?  It does not indicate anything one way or another.  To me, they are analogous to the "I voted" stickers they sometimes hand out at polling places.  Some people wear them, some people toss them.

When I got my shots, nobody handed me a sticker either time.  Only proof I have is the index card.
The stickers are not stupid, but they aren't super important.

tolbs17

• Last Login: March 31, 2022, 07:24:24 PM
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 08:10:51 PM »

agree

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 08:15:48 PM »

agree

They usually only excite naive people or the young.  Most people aren’t going to be motivated by someone else wearing a sticker for anything. 

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 08:24:38 AM
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2021, 08:20:02 PM »

My limited edition NY State Fair vaccination sticker is collectible.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2021, 08:32:12 PM »

My limited edition NY State Fair vaccination sticker is collectible.

They didn’t give us anything on base (aside the stock CDC card) as a potential collectors item.  I figure if my wife is nostalgic I can just hand all the masks she made in the garage. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.