Regional Boards > Northeast

Concrete lanes

<< < (3/9) > >>

plain:
The city of Hampton, VA still has old concrete on some arterials.

storm2k:

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on August 03, 2021, 01:10:32 PM ---PA is actually adding concrete sections in the Philly area when doing major highway reconstruction (I-476, US 202, US 422, I-95).  The strange one is the section on the PA Turnpike in the middle of nowhere west of Carlisle.

--- End quote ---

PennDOT loves them some concrete roadways in a lot of places. PTC looks like they're favoring asphalt surfaces these days tho.

Alps:

--- Quote from: storm2k on July 31, 2021, 01:54:53 PM ---NJ still has some.

287 does north of Exit 47 (the part finished in 1993 that had that special grooved concrete that had so many noise complaints that they ground it down IIRC)
440 still does in the Woodbridge/Perth Amboy area but it's steadily disappearing as the concrete is in bad condition and it's being replaced by asphalt overlay as sections of the road are repaired and rebuilt.
676 through Camden (lots of it is a viaduct too)
Parts of the North-South Freeway (42) still are

That's about all I could find. Most of the more known concrete sections (295 for most of its length, 78 east of 24, 280 in Newark and the Oranges) have been rebuilt and resurfaced with asphalt over the past 20 years or so.

--- End quote ---
The ramp from I-78 WB to I-287 SB has a concrete section.

Roadsguy:

--- Quote from: storm2k on August 04, 2021, 12:05:28 AM ---
--- Quote from: MASTERNC on August 03, 2021, 01:10:32 PM ---PA is actually adding concrete sections in the Philly area when doing major highway reconstruction (I-476, US 202, US 422, I-95).  The strange one is the section on the PA Turnpike in the middle of nowhere west of Carlisle.

--- End quote ---

PennDOT loves them some concrete roadways in a lot of places. PTC looks like they're favoring asphalt surfaces these days tho.

--- End quote ---

PennDOT seems to generally use concrete on new construction and full-depth reconstructions in rural areas, but in urban and suburban areas, they seem to almost arbitrarily choose which to use. In the Philadelphia area, you have reconstructed sections of I-95, US 202, US 422, and I-476 done in concrete, while PA 309, most of the Blue Route when constructed, and possibly US 1 and I-295 in Bucks County were done/are being done in asphalt. Over in Harrisburg, I-81 was reconstructed with concrete, and both the older reconstructed and newer sections of PA 581 are concrete, while the I-83 widening (at least Section 1 north of the Eisenhower Interchange) is being done with asphalt.

Meanwhile the PTC uses concrete on the Pittsburgh area toll roads and reconstructed ramps on the mainline/NE Extension, while the mainline/NE Extension themselves are asphalt (with the notable exception of this one four-mile stretch west of Carlisle which was reconstructed with concrete for some reason.

RobbieL2415:

--- Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 27, 2021, 04:06:17 PM ---Funny, that with the change of the seasons there aren't that many places in new England with concrete lanes. 
CT has only 4 spots left. 

CT-25, CT-9 around CT-72, I-84 in East Hartford, and the I-84 EB Exit 22 off-ramp.

MA, I only know of US-5 in West Springfield.

Any others?

--- End quote ---
Concrete surfaces are prone to frost heaves.

Just ask I-495 from Westborough to Foxboro.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version