Regional Boards > Northeast

PA Turnpike News

<< < (550/560) > >>

Crown Victoria:
The PTC has a few ideas to try to reduce the burden of unpaid tolls, including giving those without credit cards the option to pay their Toll-By-Plate bill or add funds to EZ-Pass accounts at convenience stores:

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/01/pa-turnpike-officials-say-they-have-plans-to-reduce-unpaid-tolls-which-hit-105m-last-year.html

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing information from the Massachusetts Turnpike, the New York State Thruway Authority, and the Florida's Turnpike Enterprise concerning leakage from cashless tolling, especially considering the Mass Pike has been fully cashless for some time now, and the FTE has had cashless tolling on parts of their system for years as well (I believe most of their system is now cashless).

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: Crown Victoria on January 01, 2022, 10:58:56 PM ---The PTC has a few ideas to try to reduce the burden of unpaid tolls, including giving those without credit cards the option to pay their Toll-By-Plate bill or add funds to EZ-Pass accounts at convenience stores:

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/01/pa-turnpike-officials-say-they-have-plans-to-reduce-unpaid-tolls-which-hit-105m-last-year.html

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing information from the Massachusetts Turnpike, the New York State Thruway Authority, and the Florida's Turnpike Enterprise concerning leakage from cashless tolling, especially considering the Mass Pike has been fully cashless for some time now, and the FTE has had cashless tolling on parts of their system for years as well (I believe most of their system is now cashless).

--- End quote ---

Mentioned in the article was a claim that NJ drivers account for about half of the unpaid tolls from out-of-state vehicles, which seems to be a surprising claim being so many NJ residents have EZ Passes, and to get to the PA Tpk almost always requires going over a bridge where EZ Pass would be much more convenient than paying cash, or going out of the way to hit a free bridge.

EZ Pass on the NJ Tpk is about 89.5% of all transactions. For commerical vehicles, it's much higher...over 95% of CMVs use EZ Pass.  I tried looking up EZ Pass usage on the DRPA and DRJTBC bridges, but those agencies don't appear to publish those figures.

That all said, the PTC never really does hint at what percentage of unpaid tolls are from out of state motorists. It may be the overwhelming majority of unpaid tolls are from their own state's drivers.  While NJ residents may be half of the overall out-of-state non-payers, the "get" as they mentioned they're trying to fight for may be smaller than what they're alluding to.

rickmastfan67:
PennDOT should help them a little bit by forcing License Plates to be double checked during inspection to see it they've been 'altered' and fail the car till it's replaced.  I've seen TONS of plates locally that have serious damage, including a few where about 95% of the reflective coating/paint is completely gone on the plate.  Most of the time, there's no way that isn't intentional, especially when the car looks completely brand new!

storm2k:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2022, 01:50:33 AM ---
--- Quote from: Crown Victoria on January 01, 2022, 10:58:56 PM ---The PTC has a few ideas to try to reduce the burden of unpaid tolls, including giving those without credit cards the option to pay their Toll-By-Plate bill or add funds to EZ-Pass accounts at convenience stores:

--- End quote ---

Mentioned in the article was a claim that NJ drivers account for about half of the unpaid tolls from out-of-state vehicles, which seems to be a surprising claim being so many NJ residents have EZ Passes, and to get to the PA Tpk almost always requires going over a bridge where EZ Pass would be much more convenient than paying cash, or going out of the way to hit a free bridge.

EZ Pass on the NJ Tpk is about 89.5% of all transactions. For commerical vehicles, it's much higher...over 95% of CMVs use EZ Pass.  I tried looking up EZ Pass usage on the DRPA and DRJTBC bridges, but those agencies don't appear to publish those figures.

That all said, the PTC never really does hint at what percentage of unpaid tolls are from out of state motorists. It may be the overwhelming majority of unpaid tolls are from their own state's drivers.  While NJ residents may be half of the overall out-of-state non-payers, the "get" as they mentioned they're trying to fight for may be smaller than what they're alluding to.

--- End quote ---

That number makes sense, as NJ shares a border with PA so it makes sense that a decent number of people would come from NJ. I agree that most of the unpaid tolls are from PA residents though, because like NY, it's pretty easy to "alter" the plates to make them impossible to read. NJ's move to the all digital plates in 2016 made that a lot harder.

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 02, 2022, 05:20:01 AM ---PennDOT should help them a little bit by forcing License Plates to be double checked during inspection to see it they've been 'altered' and fail the car till it's replaced.  I've seen TONS of plates locally that have serious damage, including a few where about 95% of the reflective coating/paint is completely gone on the plate.  Most of the time, there's no way that isn't intentional, especially when the car looks completely brand new!

--- End quote ---

This is key.  The standard replacement plates are free - all you need is a signature from a police officer or mechanic. Unfortunately, you have to pay the full fee for a new specialty plate or vanity plate, which makes little sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version