Regional Boards > Northeast

PA Turnpike News

<< < (551/560) > >>

Crown Victoria:

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on January 02, 2022, 02:07:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 02, 2022, 05:20:01 AM ---PennDOT should help them a little bit by forcing License Plates to be double checked during inspection to see it they've been 'altered' and fail the car till it's replaced.  I've seen TONS of plates locally that have serious damage, including a few where about 95% of the reflective coating/paint is completely gone on the plate.  Most of the time, there's no way that isn't intentional, especially when the car looks completely brand new!

--- End quote ---

This is key.  The standard replacement plates are free - all you need is a signature from a police officer or mechanic. Unfortunately, you have to pay the full fee for a new specialty plate or vanity plate, which makes little sense.

--- End quote ---

It's a bit surprising this isn't done already. I mean, it would be the easiest part of the inspection! In addition, there's been talk (especially by the PTC) of requiring front plates, as generally front plates can't be covered up like rear plates can be (bike racks and such).

As far as paying to replace specialty and vanity plates, it might not make sense to us, but it makes cents to PennDOT!

vdeane:
When PA replaces the standard plates for free, are those replacements with the same number or with a new number?  Because if it's with a new number, they can just grab whatever's on hand.  If it's the same number, then I have no explanation other than "because they want money", as a new plate would need to be custom fabricated regardless.

Meanwhile in NY, all replacements require paying the full fee, even if the plate is unreadable to the point where you risk a ticket (there's an exception for plates suffering from a specific type of sheeting failure caused by a defect in the manufacturing process by 3M, but mine didn't qualify even though they peeled and faded early).

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: vdeane on January 02, 2022, 04:30:48 PM ---When PA replaces the standard plates for free, are those replacements with the same number or with a new number?  Because if it's with a new number, they can just grab whatever's on hand.  If it's the same number, then I have no explanation other than "because they want money", as a new plate would need to be custom fabricated regardless.

Meanwhile in NY, all replacements require paying the full fee, even if the plate is unreadable to the point where you risk a ticket (there's an exception for plates suffering from a specific type of sheeting failure caused by a defect in the manufacturing process by 3M, but mine didn't qualify even though they peeled and faded early).

--- End quote ---

It's a new number.  It's the same with the specialty plates - not only do you have to pay the full fee but you also can't keep your existing number unless you pay an extra $100 for a vanity plate (strangely, you can replicate your existing number as a vanity plate).

MASTERNC:
Looks like the Turnpike is going to open bids for cashless tolling gantries on the NE Extension between the Lehigh Tunnel and just south of Lansdale.  No other tolling projects are listed yet, so this would not include the mainline Turnpike in the Philly area yet.

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on January 11, 2022, 07:51:28 PM ---Looks like the Turnpike is going to open bids for cashless tolling gantries on the NE Extension between the Lehigh Tunnel and just south of Lansdale.  No other tolling projects are listed yet, so this would not include the mainline Turnpike in the Philly area yet.

--- End quote ---

Now there is a bid advertisement for gantries on the Mainline turnpike between Reading (US 222) and Mid-County (but not east of there, strangely)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version