Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

The progress looks similar to the state that US 31 freeway construction around Kokomo south of SR 26 was in September of 2013. That freeway opened up for Thanksgiving weekend. Based on the photos in this thread, it looks like it is the same contractor (Walsh Construction). They're big enough that they will bring in the necessary resources if it is possible.

ITB

I headed up to Martinsville on Sunday to take a few more photos of the construction. It only takes me 35 minutes to get into Martinsville proper, and 15 of those are chewed up just getting on I-69 to head north. The weather was perfect, sunny, not too warm or cold. Just north of Bloomington at the Kinser Pike overpass, the speed limit jumps from 55 to 70 mph, so it's a quick zip to Martinsville. Seems, too, like a good number of drivers think that 70 means 80 plus. Law enforcement is aware, so heads up when coming down that hill toward the Liberty Church Road interchange. Likewise, when approaching Bloomington southbound, probably not a good idea to be doing 70 plus in the 55 mph zone.

As I noted in an earlier post, construction of the Martinsville segment (Segment 1 Section 6) is at an inflection point where the road truly begins to take shape. It seems as if paving in one spot or another is taking place nearly everyday now. By the end of October most of the Martinsville segment will be paved, aside from small sections around the mainline bridges over Ohio Street/Artesian Ave. and State Road 252/Hospital Dr. Crews are hard at work on those bridges. Both sets have had their deck pans placed, and the deck pours probably will take place by the end of October. On the south end of the project, the approach slabs of the bridge over Indian Creek on the northbound lanes, are in the process of being redone. Probably a sub base settlement issue. Also, south of the bridge, a couple small roadway slab sections have been cut out. Again, probably a settlement problem. In the vicinity of Burton Lane in Martinsville, paving will soon commence to connect the previously paved mainline sections south with other sections north. Once completed, pavement will then run nearly continuously from the Indian Creek bridges to just south of the mainline bridges over Ohio Street/Artesian Ave.

I'm hesitant to speculate on when the road might be reopened in Martinsville, other than to say that's it going to happen by the end of the year. That's been the plan and I don't see Walsh, the prime contractor, letting that deadline slip. By Thanksgiving? I guess it's possible. At the same time, it's quite possible the pouring of a couple of bridge approach slabs might slip to either late November or early December. Moreover, there's the ramps and traffic circles for the interchange at State Road 252/Hospital Drive, as well as the ramps at the Ohio Street interchange. Might take some time to fully complete those projects. 

To the pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, September 26, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6; Segment 1, aka the Martinsville segment

Drainage piping installation along the northbound shoulder about a half mile north of the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville; looking north.

Northbound lanes about a half mile north of the SR 44 overpass; looking north. Looks like the roadway will be four lanes wide in this vicinity.

Looking northwest from the State Road 44 overpass. Throughout the Martinsville segment the mainline will be concrete, while most, if not all of the interchange ramps, traffic circles, as well as the collector/distributor lane between the SR 252 and SR 44 interchanges, will be asphalt.

Inside shoulder of the northbound lanes about a half mile north of the SR 44 overpass; looking north. In preparation to paving, the drain openings have been covered with plastic and red tape. Also, that half dowel rod assembly near the drains seems a little high on one end. The last thing that needs to happen is for that assembly to poke through the concrete slab. Probably won't, but why risk it.

Rebar for the concrete barrier wall; about a half mile north of the SR 44 overpass, looking north. It's going to be a tall barrier, probably upwards of seven feet in certain spots.

Another look at the concrete slab of the northbound lanes; about a half mile north of the SR 44 overpass, looking north.

More photos to come.

ITB

Another batch. Photos were taken Sunday, September 26, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. On the left, the asphalt strip appears to be the northbound collector/distributor lane between SR 252/Hospital Dr. and SR 44, as well as the corresponding shoulder. In the background, the curving path of I-69, which passes through the gap between the two hills, is discernible.

Turning around, the view in the opposite direction; looking north from the SR 44 overpass. On the right is the entrance ramp from SR 44.

Another view of the future on-ramp from State Road 44 to I-69 northbound; looking north.

Looking north from the SR 44 overpass toward the future southbound lanes of I-69. In the background left is the future exit ramp to SR 44.

Southbound on-ramp from SR 44; looking slightly southeast. The ramp will lead to the collector/distributor lane, which will run between SR 252/Hospital Drive and SR 44. Drivers who wish to get on I-69 southbound will take the collector/distributor to the western roundabout at the SR 252 interchange, circle halfway around that, then exit onto the entrance ramp to I-69 southbound.

Note: If any of the above is not entirely accurate, including terminology, please chime in. This includes any information that I post. My goal is to be as accurate as possible, whether in photo captions or otherwise.

Another view looking north from the State Road 44 overpass. It looks as if paving will commence in the next couple of weeks or so between the mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Drive and the beginning point of the recent paving activity north of SR 44, which is visible in the background (expand the photo for a better view).

Signage indicating the future entrance ramp from SR 44 to I-69 northbound; looking east.

It's now just 95 days until the end of the 2021. At this point, the construction of the Martinsville segment is looking good. Real good. Keep in mind, too, that just nine months ago crews were beginning the demolition of State Road 37. A lot has happened over those nine months, and there's still three months to go.

tdindy88

Last year I made a post on the Indiana Notes thread about my thoughts on Indiana rest areas and what should be done with them. It appears the state is starting to actually tackle the rest areas with an extensive project on updating the welcome centers and adding truck parking to the rest areas throughout the state starting with the recent I-69 welcome center in Steuben County.

Anyway, my interest in this subject showed me something very interesting concerning the I-69 extension in southern Indiana. This article was repeated a few websites last month but this paragraph was interesting to hear:

"Construction of a truck parking facility in Martinsville, as well as a new rest facility at Crane, will be part of the 10-year project. Both will be along sections of Interstate 69, which remains under construction from Martinsville to Indianapolis."

It appears there plans for some services along this corridor after all. I'm wondering if this means a rest area at Exit 87 is in the works and where would this "truck parking facility" be in Martinsville?

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 28, 2021, 11:15:26 AM
Last year I made a post on the Indiana Notes thread about my thoughts on Indiana rest areas and what should be done with them. It appears the state is starting to actually tackle the rest areas with an extensive project on updating the welcome centers and adding truck parking to the rest areas throughout the state starting with the recent I-69 welcome center in Steuben County.

Anyway, my interest in this subject showed me something very interesting concerning the I-69 extension in southern Indiana. This article was repeated a few websites last month but this paragraph was interesting to hear:

"Construction of a truck parking facility in Martinsville, as well as a new rest facility at Crane, will be part of the 10-year project. Both will be along sections of Interstate 69, which remains under construction from Martinsville to Indianapolis."

It appears there plans for some services along this corridor after all. I'm wondering if this means a rest area at Exit 87 is in the works and where would this "truck parking facility" be in Martinsville?

I'm glad that they are going to be placing a rest area on I-69 between Evansville and Indianapolis.  It is well needed.  They originally had one planned in "Amishland" somewhere near the Odon/Elnora exit, but it was shaved for cost savings.

I am worried about INDOT for some of the things that they are doing with rest areas.  They have discussed closing the rest areas on I-64 near Dale, IN.  They have had a reprieve at least for awhile.  The welcome area near Lanesville has been closed for some time with mounds of dirt and gravel covering the entrance.  That rest area was a newer area than the ones near Dale.  Even though there is a cost to these, I feel that it is a service that state transportation departments should keep. 

FixThe74Sign

Quote from: Life in Paradise on September 28, 2021, 01:09:37 PM

I'm glad that they are going to be placing a rest area on I-69 between Evansville and Indianapolis.  It is well needed.  They originally had one planned in "Amishland" somewhere near the Odon/Elnora exit, but it was shaved for cost savings.

I am worried about INDOT for some of the things that they are doing with rest areas.  They have discussed closing the rest areas on I-64 near Dale, IN.  They have had a reprieve at least for awhile.  The welcome area near Lanesville has been closed for some time with mounds of dirt and gravel covering the entrance.  That rest area was a newer area than the ones near Dale.  Even though there is a cost to these, I feel that it is a service that state transportation departments should keep.

The rest area on 74 East near Batesville has been torn down, and the entrance and exit ramps ripped out and replaced with grass. The truck parking lot is still there but overgrown with weeds and no paved way to get there. I don't know why INDOT would get rid of the only rest stop between Indy and Cincinnati.

silverback1065

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on September 28, 2021, 07:58:56 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on September 28, 2021, 01:09:37 PM

The rest area on 74 East near Batesville has been torn down, and the entrance and exit ramps ripped out and replaced with grass. The truck parking lot is still there but overgrown with weeds and no paved way to get there. I don't know why INDOT would get rid of the only rest stop between Indy and Cincinnati.

1 word: money  :-D

RoadWarrior56

It is personally sad to see that the rest area on I-74 near Batesville is closed down.  I have a photo taken at that rest area of my wife and I on the first day of our honeymoon with the "Just Married" sign still on my car, on our way to Myrtle Beach from Indianapolis back in '80.   

ITB

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on September 28, 2021, 07:58:56 PM

Rest area buildings, like any other built structure, age and degrade. At some point, rather than expending additional funds to repair and upkeep a decrepit facility, it make more sense to do a tear down. I have no idea how old the Batesville facility was, but if I had to guess, I'd say 30 plus years. At that age, it's usefulness was drawing to an end, particularly if the plumbing was becoming an issue, which it probably was. On a more positive note, good chance the facility will be rebuilt when funds become available. That's just my gut feeling.

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on September 29, 2021, 06:40:04 AM
It is personally sad to see that the rest area on I-74 near Batesville is closed down.  I have a photo taken at that rest area of my wife and I on the first day of our honeymoon with the "Just Married" sign still on my car, on our way to Myrtle Beach from Indianapolis back in '80.

To bring back memories, here's that old Batesville rest area as captured by Google Streetview:

Courtesy Google Maps, Google Streetview
Eastbound I-74 Batesville, IN, rest area facility, now demolished.

Courtesy Google Maps
Overhead view of the eastbound I-74 Batesville rest area, now closed.

As for the new truck parking planned for Martinsville, the only location that seems feasible to me is near the I-69/State Road 39 interchange. There's a nice chunk of land on Southview Drive just west of Burton Lane that looks very suitable.

tdindy88

Quote from: ITB on September 30, 2021, 01:37:49 AM

Rest area buildings, like any other built structure, age and degrade. At some point, rather than expending additional funds to repair and upkeep a decrepit facility, it make more sense to do a tear down. I have no idea how old the Batesville facility was, but if I had to guess, I'd say 30 plus years. At that age, it's usefulness was drawing to an end, particularly if the plumbing was becoming an issue, which it probably was. On a more positive note, good chance the facility will be rebuilt when funds become available. That's just my gut feeling.

Oh the Batesville rest area is much newer than that. At the earliest it was rebuilt in the 90s if not the early 2000s. I remember stopping there sometime in the last 15 years to head to a funeral in that part of the state and it looked pretty new. Certainly newer than any of the rest areas along I-65. The westbound rest area is a similar design and the its construction was around the same time. That's why getting rid of it made little sense. Apparently Indiana's coffers are much better off without it.

Besides the obvious answer of the state not wanting to maintain it I figured it's location had a little to do with closing it. Most of the traffic along I-74 might be bound for Cincinnati. The state probably figured that anyone wanting a rest area could wait to use them along I-75 north or south of Cincinnati, or along I-71 if one was heading that way. It's stupid either way.

seicer

At the least, states should provide more parking for trucks. Coming back on I-64 in the middle of the night last week, the rest areas were completely full of trucks and trucks were stopped at every interchange.

abqtraveler

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 30, 2021, 08:23:16 AM

Oh the Batesville rest area is much newer than that. At the earliest it was rebuilt in the 90s if not the early 2000s. I remember stopping there sometime in the last 15 years to head to a funeral in that part of the state and it looked pretty new. Certainly newer than any of the rest areas along I-65. The westbound rest area is a similar design and the its construction was around the same time. That's why getting rid of it made little sense. Apparently Indiana's coffers are much better off without it.

Besides the obvious answer of the state not wanting to maintain it I figured it's location had a little to do with closing it. Most of the traffic along I-74 might be bound for Cincinnati. The state probably figured that anyone wanting a rest area could wait to use them along I-75 north or south of Cincinnati, or along I-71 if one was heading that way. It's stupid either way.
Indiana...like a lot of other states...closed many of its rest areas in the early 2010s during the budget crises stemming from the 2008 economic meltdown. Some of them were never reopened, while a few were either reopened as-is or rebuilt and reopened. IIRC, two rest areas on I-69, one on the northbound side between Fort Wayne and Auburn was rebuilt and reopened, and a second one on the southbound side about 10 miles south of Fort Wayne was reopened. I don't know if INDOT rebuilt the latter rest area.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

tdindy88

They never reopened the one on I-69 south of Fort Wayne. Only the northbound/southbound pair near Muncie. So there's two rest areas in each direction along I-69 between Indy and Michigan.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 30, 2021, 11:18:56 AM
They never reopened the one on I-69 south of Fort Wayne. Only the northbound/southbound pair near Muncie. So there's two rest areas in each direction along I-69 between Indy and Michigan.
That's not too bad.  My biggest peeve is when there are no rest areas for 100 plus miles.  Makes one want to deny themselves, coffee, tea, or soda because you know what is coming next.

ITB

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 30, 2021, 08:23:16 AM

I reached to INDOT about the closure and demolition of the Batesville rest area. The response was more general than specific. Last year, according to INDOT, an evaluation of interstate rest areas in Indiana was undertaken. This process identified several locations as having a combination of (1) low usage, (2) high operating and maintenance costs, and (3) ongoing public safety challenges. The results of the evaluation led to a decision to close some rest areas. Also, there are no plans to rebuild the eastbound I-74 Batesville rest area.

So, it appears it was a budget decision. But exactly why the eastbound Batesville rest area was closed and torn down while the westbound one remains standing and in use wasn't quite answered. What was it about the eastbound rest area that led to its demise? If I had to guess I'd say maintenance issues and costs were becoming problematic. Safety issues probably played a factor, too. It's easy to overlook, but with staffing, the cost of a rest area can easily mount. Additional safety features, such as closed circuit cameras, now probably a necessity, push up costs too. It's a shame INDOT decided to close the Batesville facility, but sometimes these decisions have to be made.

By the way I came across a help wanted notice for a Rest Area Attendant at the currently operating westbound Batesville rest area. Full time. Main responsibilities: "... providing janitorial maintenance and groundskeeping services at the assigned rest area location to ensure a clean, sanitary, and safe environment for motorists using those facilities."

ITB

To shift gears, here's another set of pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, September 26, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the northbound mainline bridge over Sartor Ditch in Martinsville, Indiana.

Slightly different perspective; looking north. In the foreground is a bridge deck finisher. This equipment likely will be shifted to the Ohio Street work zone for the deck pours of the mainline bridges there.

Long range perspective looking north from near the mainline bridges over Ohio Street/Artesian Ave.

Southbound mainline bridge over Sartor Ditch; looking northwest.

Future entrance ramp from Ohio Street/Artesian Ave. to I-69 northbound; looking north.

Ohio Street work zone; looking northeast. The path in front of the dozer will become the northbound exit ramp to Ohio Street/Artesian Ave.

Crane at the Ohio Street work zone; looking northeast.

Construction of the Martinsville segment is progressing at a fervid pace. According to the most recent I-69 Finish Line update, the deck pours for the mainline bridges over Ohio Street are slated for next week. Seems like the bridge beams were just placed yesterday (actually, just before Labor Day) and now they're doing the deck pours. No doubt, Walsh is putting the pedal to the metal.

Edit: grammar; minor wording change

ITB

A few more. Again, photos were taken Sunday, September 26, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking north from the Teeters Road overpass work zone just north of Martinsville, Indiana.

The east abutment and middle bent of the Teeters Road overpass; looking east. Construction of this bridge is scheduled to complete next year.

State Road 252/Hospital Road work zone in Martinsville; looking north. On the right is the southbound mainline bridge over SR 252. The State Road 44 overpass is in the background.

The beginnings of the western traffic roundabout at the future I-69/SR 252-Hospital interchange; looking northeast. The roundabout's curb will be built without forms, using only stakes and a stringline. How that's done can be seen in this video.

Another perspective of the western traffic circle at the future SR 252 interchange; looking northwest. The gap in the row of stakes is where the future southbound exit ramp will join the roundabout.

Looking north from near the mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Drive. Blocks of geoform still remain on site if needed.

The southern abutment of the mainline bridges over SR 252/Hospital Dr.; looking south. Note the blocks of geoform, used instead of typical gravel backfill to form the abutment.

Unused geoform blocks on site at the SR 252 work zone; looking northeast. Really tough, strong material. Rather light in weight, a little like styrofoam, but somewhat heavier and much more dense. I got the feeling one could take a sledgehammer, give it a few whacks, but only scuff it up a bit. It can be cut, however, with sections both small and large to be used as needed. The road in the background is SR 252, heading east toward Morgantown and beyond.

Another view of the SR 252/Hospital Dr. work zone; looking east. Most of that mound of soil-like material will be removed as construction moves forward. It's mostly sand and has been dumped there to compress the material underneath and to enhance settlement. At some point, the engineers will come in bringing their little gadgets, testing whether the compressed material has met the specs for density, etc. The truck pictured was not involved with the project; he had pulled over to use the portable toilet.

Another perspective looking north from the south abutment of the northbound mainline bridge over SR252/Hospital Drive.

Tubing for underground utilities near the Ohio Street/Artesian Ave. work zone; looking northeast. That's a lot of tubes going into the ground. To hazard a guess, these tubes will probably carry the electrical conduits for lighting fixtures, both standalone and on signs.

Mid-range view looking north from near the Teeters Road overpass work zone.

Lots is happening with construction both in Martinsville and further north. I'll try to shoot another set of pictures as we get into October.

Edit: grammar; minor wording edits; added another photo

ITB

A few more pictures. I didn't have much to do Sunday afternoon, so I hopped in the car and headed north to Martinsville for another look-see. It had only been a week since my last visit, but construction progress is clearly evident. Photos were taken Sunday, October 3, 2021, unless otherwise noted. Remember, the photos are expandable. Right click, etc., or follow whatever works best for your browser.

Looking west toward the Henderson Ford Road overpass and future interchange. At this time, only the southbound exit ramp to Henderson Ford Road is open. The northbound entrance ramp from Henderson Ford appears to be nearing completion.

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville. Last week, a wide strip of concrete pavement was put down on the northbound roadway beginning at the mainline bridge over Sartor ditch. In the background, the slipform paving machine sits, primed to pave a strip on the southbound roadway.

Turning around, looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. In the background is the gentle rise to the mainline bridges over Ohio Street.

Construction of the new northbound mainline bridge over Stotts Creek in Morgan County; looking northeast.

The future northbound lanes of I-69 and the northern closure point of State Road 37 in Martinsville; looking north from about a half mile north of the State Road 44 overpass. The inside shoulder is now paved. Work to install the drainage piping appears to nearing completion, too.

The view in the other direction; looking south. In the background (better seen if the photo is expanded), a barrier slipform paver has been positioned to begin paving the concrete barrier wall. Also, of note, it appears a change order of some sort was issued, as the geosynthetic moisture barrier sheeting has been pulled back to facilitate the excavation of a trench on the inside shoulder of the southbound lanes. This is partially visible, too, in the above picture.

The former northbound lanes of State Road 37; looking slightly northeast from the SR 37/Ennis Road intersection just north of the Henderson Ford Road overpass. With the closure of the SR 37/Henderson Ford Road intersection, a temporary traffic signal has been installed at Ennis Road to facilitate local access to SR 37.

Long range view looking west toward the Henderson Ford Road overpass and future interchange. On the left is New Harmony Road, one of the new, recently completed frontage roads. Running across the frame is Ennis Road. The temporary traffic light at the SR 37/Ennis Road intersection is to the right, just out of the frame.

Looking north toward the Egbert Road overpass in Morgan County. The pavement in the foreground is a soon-to-open, new access point to and from State Road 37 for First United Methodist Church.

ITB

Yesterday, I was able to take some pictures of paving in Martinsville. Photos were taken Monday, October 4, 2021.

Paving a section of the future southbound lanes of I-69 just north of the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville; looking north.

Closer look at the slipform paver and the paving operation; looking north. The paving crew numbered about 15.

Slightly different perspective.

Long range view. The paving machine moved slowly, but over a few minutes visible progress was noticeable. Looks like at this point in time the machine had been momentarily paused.

Closer look at the paving operation.

The operator of the slipform paver and head guy in charge.

Another long range view; looking north. Dump trucks loaded with fresh concrete were entering the work zone at Ohio Street. Crossing the new northbound mainline bridge over Sartor Ditch, the trucks headed north to end of the paved northbound lane where they swung around and came down the southbound roadway.

Another look. In the background, the curing compound is being applied. Just in front of that a team of two drag burlap to texture the slab. This duo was responsible for hand tining the concrete as well.

One more, a long range perspective. Behind the paver the team of two mentioned above are are in the process of tining the slab. The tining tool, which resembles a rake, is reached across the concrete, lowered, then drawn across.

Edit: grammar, minor wording change; added a photo

silverback1065

i drove 37 for the first time to evansville, normally i take 67 to 39. i wonder if the martinsville section will open, then will end at the 2 lane section that currently exists north of morgan st. i don't see that section finished any time soon.

seicer

Hand tined? Isn't there a machine that handles that now?

Rick Powell

Quote from: seicer on October 07, 2021, 03:40:45 PM
Hand tined? Isn't there a machine that handles that now?
There is mechanized tining, but it is harder to do at an angle by machine like these workers are doing. To reduce roadway surface noise, the tining is supposed to be done in a random pattern within certain tolerances, and I guess nothing is more random than two guys with a tining tool. But you'd think there would be a more efficient way of doing this.

ITB

Some more pictures. Had to go to IND, so I made a stop in Martinsville on the way. Considering the pace of construction, these images will stale quickly, so here they are. Photos were taken Saturday, October 9, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville.

Closer look. Sections of the mainline are now paved between the bridges over Ohio Street (background, right) and the mainline bridges over Sartor Ditch (mid-frame).

The view in the other direction; looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. A crew was at work late in the afternoon on Saturday placing dowel rod assemblies. In the background is the State Road 44 overpass.

Closer look using the long range lens.

Another perspective; looking north from about a quarter mile north of the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass.

Looking south toward the State Road 44 overpass.

Lighting fixtures, to be installed near the State Road 44 interchange; looking slightly northwest.

View looking north from about a quarter mile north of the SR 44 overpass. On the left are the future northbound lanes which have yet to paved with concrete. The asphalt is for the collector-distributor lane, the northbound entrance ramp from SR 44, and the shoulder. Another layer, or two, of asphalt is forthcoming, building up the roadway to the top of the drain.

Another look, looking south toward the State Road 44 overpass.

And, again, looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. As the afternoon waned, work continued on cutting joints in the recently paved concrete slab (background).

ITB

A few more pictures. Since I wasn't able to check out everything I wanted to on Saturday, I returned to Martinsville on Sunday. Besides it was a nice, sunny day and a good excuse to get out of the house. Photos were taken Sunday, October 10, 2021, unless otherwise identified.

Picking up from the last photo set; looking north from about a quarter mile north of the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. Paving of the median barrier has commenced.

Another perspective of the barrier wall.

But something occurred as paving progressed. Don't really want to speculate what happened, other than to say that something obviously wasn't right.

Tearing apart a section of the recently paved barrier wall.

The slipform paver of the barrier wall. Neglected to get the model. Maybe next time.

View from underneath the slipform paver and the stringline used to guide it.

Looking north from near the mainline bridges over State Road 252/Hospital Dr. in Martinsville. In the background is SR 44 overpass.

Nearing completion of the final MSE wall at the future Ohio Street interchange; looking northeast.

A panel of the MSE wall with attached stringers; looking south.

Mainline bridges over Ohio Street in Martinsville; looking northeast. In the background is the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass.

Bridge deck finisher and the railing it rides on.

Northbound mainline bridge over Ohio Street. The deck pour either occurred yesterday or is ongoing today. Don't know which span they did first. But if you're reading this on Wednesday afternoon, a crew is likely hard at work, doing the deck pour of one of the bridges over Ohio Street.

Another perspective of the Ohio Street work zone; looking northeast. In the deep background is the State Road 44 overpass.

Lots of pictures posted of late. Probably too many. Then again the construction season is quickly coming to an end. Only 11 weeks to go before the Martinsville segment is scheduled to be opened.

Ryctor2018

Drove down to Bloomington for the football game. Noticed that SR-37 south of SR-144 has I-69 mile markers up. Since I was driving I did not take pictures of them. Nevertheless, the mile markers go nearly to the Morgan St temp ending. The mile markers are the blue & white markers, not the mixed match markers used on I-69 near Bloomington.
Driving back the traffic was backed-up from Indian Creek on northbound SR-37. But, that gave me an opportunity to notice the SR-39 interchange looks 85% complete by my eye test. Too bad the railroad crossing on SR-37 is one lane. The jam would be greatly reduced if that were 2 lanes.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.