News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: kernals12 on October 16, 2021, 09:10:14 AM
Why didn't they have I-84 follow the NY 17 corridor and then cross over the Hudson through Peekskill on its way to Brewster? As it is, 84 is too far north to offer a true bypass for Westchester and Fairfield Counties.

As in, why doesn't it follow the US 6 corridor more closely? The biggest factor was probably the crossing point. Any farther south than Newburgh/Beacon, and the Hudson Highlands would greatly impede any new bridge of Interstate standard, to say nothing of the approaches.

kernals12

Quote from: empirestate on October 16, 2021, 01:55:28 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on October 16, 2021, 09:10:14 AM
Why didn't they have I-84 follow the NY 17 corridor and then cross over the Hudson through Peekskill on its way to Brewster? As it is, 84 is too far north to offer a true bypass for Westchester and Fairfield Counties.

As in, why doesn't it follow the US 6 corridor more closely? The biggest factor was probably the crossing point. Any farther south than Newburgh/Beacon, and the Hudson Highlands would greatly impede any new bridge of Interstate standard, to say nothing of the approaches.

They already have a bridge though, the Peekskill Bridge.

empirestate

Quote from: kernals12 on October 16, 2021, 04:18:33 PM

There's no such bridge around here...the closest trans-Hudson bridge to Peekskill is the Bear Mountain Bridge. But we're talking Interstates here–the 1924 suspension bridge is fine for carrying a couple of US routes, but nowhere near what a freeway would need. And then where does the rest of the road go? The approach road currently used by US 6/202 is nicknamed the "Goat Trail"; a suitable Interstate bypass of this cliff-hugger would probably require a tunnel, and that would impact the New York military reservation at Camp Smith.

On the other side of the river, you've got a huge swath of state park land, immediately abutted by another, even more famous military reservation at West Point. As you can see, the reasons quickly pile up for why they would choose the much easier approach and crossing up at Newburgh. Even today, the Hudson Highlands pose both a topographic and administrative obstacle to extensive development of any kind, roads or otherwise. Suburbia basically stops at the foot of these hills, and picks up again just as abruptly on the other side.

kernals12

Quote from: empirestate on October 16, 2021, 09:47:32 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on October 16, 2021, 04:18:33 PM

There's no such bridge around here...the closest trans-Hudson bridge to Peekskill is the Bear Mountain Bridge. But we're talking Interstates here–the 1924 suspension bridge is fine for carrying a couple of US routes, but nowhere near what a freeway would need. And then where does the rest of the road go? The approach road currently used by US 6/202 is nicknamed the "Goat Trail"; a suitable Interstate bypass of this cliff-hugger would probably require a tunnel, and that would impact the New York military reservation at Camp Smith.

On the other side of the river, you've got a huge swath of state park land, immediately abutted by another, even more famous military reservation at West Point. As you can see, the reasons quickly pile up for why they would choose the much easier approach and crossing up at Newburgh. Even today, the Hudson Highlands pose both a topographic and administrative obstacle to extensive development of any kind, roads or otherwise. Suburbia basically stops at the foot of these hills, and picks up again just as abruptly on the other side.

Alright, thanks for the explanation.

Rothman

Last few posts should be moved into a separate fictional thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Why fictional? We're talking about what was actually built, and why it was built that way.

Anyway, probably not worth moving posts around in this thread–I'd consider the question asked and answered at this point. We can expect the discussion to shift back to its previous, also off-topic state now. :-)

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on October 16, 2021, 11:57:08 PM
Please don't tell the mods how to mod. :|

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on October 17, 2021, 02:49:17 AM

I don't see it as a problem. I've called for a thread split several times, as well as "remove posts but keep open" when things get out of hand but I really don't want it locked.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on October 17, 2021, 06:57:04 AM

I don't see it as a problem. I've called for a thread split several times, as well as "remove posts but keep open" when things get out of hand but I really don't want it locked.
It's probably a combination of the way he phrased it and the fact that he's posting such in every single thread that has anything beyond strictly news updates of active projects (or at least it feels like it).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on October 17, 2021, 09:57:29 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 17, 2021, 06:57:04 AM

It's probably a combination of the way he phrased it and the fact that he's posting such in every single thread that has anything beyond strictly news updates of active projects (or at least it feels like it).

Yeah, splitting a thread is probably a lot more work - for a lot less gain - than something like a thread lock.

webny99

Back on topic somewhat... Any updates on Exit 131? Is the reconstruction complete?

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on October 17, 2021, 10:13:54 PM
Back on topic somewhat... Any updates on Exit 131? Is the reconstruction complete?

Lest we forget, the topic is actually (according to the OP) the Interstate designation itself, and whether it's a shame that it will totally supplant most of NY 17.

Of course, the topic long ago drifted onto that of the various conversion projects and their status, but for those who are keeping close track of whether the thread has stayed on topic, well... ;-)

Alps

Quote from: empirestate on October 18, 2021, 01:03:29 AM

Lest we forget, the topic is actually (according to the OP) the Interstate designation itself, and whether it's a shame that it will totally supplant most of NY 17.

Of course, the topic long ago drifted onto that of the various conversion projects and their status, but for those who are keeping close track of whether the thread has stayed on topic, well... ;-)
Exit 131 reconstruction is probably part of what will make it Interstate compliant...

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2021, 01:17:39 AM
Quote from: empirestate on October 18, 2021, 01:03:29 AM

Exit 131 reconstruction is probably part of what will make it Interstate compliant...
Exit 131 improvements were part of the list of prioritized conversion projects from now over 10 years ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mergingtraffic

I'm waiting for this sign and other signs to be uncovered...

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Rothman

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 18, 2021, 12:58:47 PM

Don't hold your breath.

seicer

I mean, a lot of the signs around there were uncovered because the covers blew off at some point or the other - and just never covered back up :)

JayhawkCO

Question.  (It might be answered in this thread, but I didn't see it.).  Is there a reason that the multiplexed segment with I-81 in Binghamton is signposted as I-86 but isn't officially designated as such?

Chris

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 18, 2021, 02:40:30 PM
Question.  (It might be answered in this thread, but I didn't see it.).  Is there a reason that the multiplexed segment with I-81 in Binghamton is signposted as I-86 but isn't officially designated as such?

Chris
From I-81 at Kamikaze Curve to Exit 79, I thought I-86 was designated.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2021, 02:46:32 PM

Chris

I don't know exactly what Kamikaze Curve is, but it is designated from its eastern intersection with I-81 to exit 79.  I'm talking about from exit 72A to exit 75.  At least according to Wikipedia and Travel Mapping, that's only NY17 and not I-86 despite I-86 being on BGSs and (I believe) one reassurance marker.

Chris

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 18, 2021, 02:54:37 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2021, 02:46:32 PM

Chris

I don't know exactly what Kamikaze Curve is, but it is designated from its eastern intersection with I-81 to exit 79.  I'm talking about from exit 72A to exit 75.  At least according to Wikipedia and Travel Mapping, that's only NY17 and not I-86 despite I-86 being on BGSs and (I believe) one reassurance marker.

Chris
Heh.  Interesting that Region 9 jumped the gun on that portion, then.  I thought once the Prospect Mountain project was done that I-86 was good to go on that section.  Probably is still awaiting another phase of the project.

JayhawkCO

I just hadn't logged any mileage on I-86 and then was in Binghamton and thought I'd at least check it off my "traveled" list.  Had I not taken a slight detour to the east, I would have missed it officially despite it being signed.

Chris

machias

Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2021, 01:01:57 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 18, 2021, 12:58:47 PM

Don't hold your breath.

It seems like they could have saved some space by eliminating one of the redundant cardinal directions

JayhawkCO

Even NYSDOT shows it as I-86 also.

Chris

Rothman

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 18, 2021, 03:19:58 PM
Even NYSDOT shows it as I-86 also.

Chris
They use consultants for the data set...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.