News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gauging interest in a possible Southeast Louisiana meet towards year's end

Started by Darkchylde, July 19, 2009, 12:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkchylde

I'm thinking about organizing a weekend road meet in Southeast Louisiana (specifically the New Orleans area).

There are quite a few major projects in the area that are in-progress or recently completed and worth checking out. I'm mainly looking to find out what dates are good for potential attendees (we're going to avoid a repeat of last year's NOLA meet by waiting until October or November - sun angles here suck in December), and what projects in the area some of y'all might want to see.

My preliminary itinerary includes the recently-completed "new" Twin Span Bridge between New Orleans East and Slidell, and taking a trip on the new LA 1 Toll Bridge in Leeville, but it's open to additions. I'm envisioning this being a "meet and greet Friday night, tour/exploration Saturday" type of meet.

So, the obvious questions are these: Who's interested, when is a good time, and what do you want to see? Please note, my preference is for as early as possible within whatever month we have it (namely so I can afford to go to my own meet!)

I await your responses.

corco

I'll be in Louisiana September 6th-7th and could potentially organize the trip around a roadmeet if it took place at that time, but that may be too soon for others

hbelkins

Quote from: Darkangel on July 19, 2009, 12:05:52 AM
I'm thinking about organizing a weekend road meet in Southeast Louisiana (specifically the New Orleans area).

There are quite a few major projects in the area that are in-progress or recently completed and worth checking out. I'm mainly looking to find out what dates are good for potential attendees (we're going to avoid a repeat of last year's NOLA meet by waiting until October or November - sun angles here suck in December), and what projects in the area some of y'all might want to see.

My preliminary itinerary includes the recently-completed "new" Twin Span Bridge between New Orleans East and Slidell, and taking a trip on the new LA 1 Toll Bridge in Leeville, but it's open to additions. I'm envisioning this being a "meet and greet Friday night, tour/exploration Saturday" type of meet.

So, the obvious questions are these: Who's interested, when is a good time, and what do you want to see? Please note, my preference is for as early as possible within whatever month we have it (namely so I can afford to go to my own meet!)

I await your responses.

As much as I'd love to come back to Louisiana when it's cooler than August and there isn't a hurricane bearing down on the area, my chances of attending such a meet are, at best, 25 percent.

I've already pretty much committed to the Grand Rapids, Mich. meet to be held at the end of September or first of October. If there is the long-discussed DC area meet this year, I'll be going to that (it'll give me a chance to clinch Virginia's counties). And I want to go to the proposed SWPA meet at Uniontown, whenever it's held, because I plan to drive the old National Road (US 40) west from Cumberland, Md. while I'm there.

Good luck with things. Once you get a date nailed down, and if I don't have anything else going on (and if I have enough vacation days to cover such a trip) I might be in, but at this point the odds are against it. Sounds like fun, though.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Any weekend in the mid to late fall will work for me, nothing is planned right now. I'd probably just drive over the morning of and head back after wards.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Unless we encounter another tropical interloper (not likely after late September, though), I say  :cheers: to another meet!

SSOWorld

Given how the season's going so far (no TS's, 1 TD) one would never know.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alex

Still wondering if this will happen, if so count me in. Otherwise we could try to do something further east. My November is wide open right now. Will be in Orlando the week of Oct. 18-24 for work, but will have time later in that week if anyone might be interested.

Darkchylde

I'm leaning strongly toward November 7 at this point. Money's been tight, so the meet's been the last thing on my mind.

US71

Quote from: Darkangel on October 05, 2009, 07:00:40 PM
I'm leaning strongly toward November 7 at this point. Money's been tight, so the meet's been the last thing on my mind.

I am interested, but have to see how my funds are.  :coffee:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Not that they'd necessarily draw from the same pool of potential attendees but there's a meet scheduled in Ft. Wayne, Ind. on that date. That same date is also under consideration for a Washington, DC-area meet.

As for me, I won't be making either the Louisiana or DC meet, but might do Fort-to-Port as an overnighter. Get up early on Saturday and drive north, then stay somewhere on the way home and finish up the drive on Sunday.

I'm still holding out for the possible Dallas meet on Jan. 2.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Darkchylde

Yeah, I saw that after I figured on a date. Sadly, after the first week of the month, I'm usually too broke to go anywhere (we'd have to start the meet in Mandeville (nothing really meet-worthy here) instead of Slidell (new Twin Span) or Metairie (I-10 at Causeway interchange reconfiguration, Huey P. Long Bridge widening)) and if waiting til December, you can't get pictures going southbound due to very crappy sun angles. January has the aforementioned Dallas meet lingering and the same sun angle issues, and February will be impossible (Mardi Gras).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.