News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fall 2009 New York Road Meet - Poughkeepsie/Newburgh

Started by Dougtone, September 04, 2009, 06:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

I should be getting ready for a trip to Oregon, but I wanted to announce this before I leave...

Fall 2009 NYSRE Meeting

Mid-Hudson Valley (Newburgh/Poughkeepsie)

When:  Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 12:30pm 
Where:  Gateway Diner, US 9W/US 44/NY 55 multiplex, Highland, NY 12528

Agenda:  The meet tour will focus on transportation and road construction interests, primarily, but not limited to, the vicinity of Poughkeepsie and Newburgh. The tour highlights will include the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge project, which will open up as a pedestrian bridge on October 3, 2009. You can get great bird's-eye views of the Mid-Hudson Bridge and the US 9 Expressway in Poughkeepsie from this bridge. For more information, check out walkway.org. We will also be checking out the I-84/I-87 new interchange in Newburgh.

Directions:  From the New York State Thruway (Interstate 87), take Exit 18 (NY 299 - New Paltz/Poughkeepsie) Take NY 299 east to its eastern terminus at US 9W in Highland. Turn right onto US 9W south and the diner will be about a mile to the south, on your right. From Interstate 84, take Exit 10 (US 9W/NY 32) in Newburgh to US 9W north. Take US 9W north about 15 miles to Highland. The diner will be on your left, after US 44 and NY 55 have joined US 9W in a multiplex.

If you are interested in attending this meeting,
please email us at dougtone@gribblenation.net
You will be placed on a mailing list to inform you of any updates and changes.
Please RSVP by Thursday, October 1, 2009 so I can call in an accurate head count to the restaurant.

This meeting is open to all persons.
This page will be updated when information changes.

Roadgeek Adam

RSVPing here all right. Still gotta figure out how i am getting up there.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

I plan to attend. I've already asked off work for the requisite number of days needed for travel.

Thursday I plan to visit the counties I have outstanding in Virginia to clinch that state. Friday I will do likewise for Pennsylvania. Still unsure of what my plans will be for Saturday after the meet or where I will stay or how far south I plan to drive when the day's over.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Bridge lighting is the night before.  I suggested anyone interested could meet up beforehand, maybe grab dinner together, then watch the ceremony.  Head off to our respective destinations, regroup the next day for the meet.

njroadhorse

Awe man, this one's pretty close to me, and I can't go because I'm waiting for college to go to these. 
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

yanksfan6129

Steve, where would we grab said dinner should we meet up before hand?

Dougtone

I am planning to head to Poughkeepsie for that bridge lighting ceremony as well, just need to get the time to leave work a couple hours early that Friday.  As for dinner, it could really be anywhere, but I would suggest picking which side of the river you want to see that ceremony (there is a park in Poughkeepsie that may be best for that) before choosing where to eat.

Alps

You tell us - you and the NY (Insane Clown) posse would know the choices better than I would.  Something obviously open to all ages.

hbelkins

Quote from: dougtone on September 04, 2009, 09:43:55 PM
I am planning to head to Poughkeepsie for that bridge lighting ceremony as well, just need to get the time to leave work a couple hours early that Friday.  As for dinner, it could really be anywhere, but I would suggest picking which side of the river you want to see that ceremony (there is a park in Poughkeepsie that may be best for that) before choosing where to eat.

Provided I make it to the area in time on Friday, I'd be up for that. Just keep me in the loop.

froggie

Gotta pass on this one.  Duty weekend...though I might hike the bridge the following weekend enroute up north.

Dougtone

Steve: Let me figure out any place for Friday dinner when I get back to New York.  Then again, it is possible that I may not be able to meet for dinner beforehand and just go straight to the evening ceremony.

Froggie: I don't think you'll be disappointed by the views from the bridge, especially in October.

Dougtone

I have decided that I will include the Friday night bridge lighting as part of the meet, for any interested parties.  No, I am still in Oregon, but I have decided on a restaurant for Friday dinner - Mahoney's Irish Pub (http://www.mahoneysirishpub.com/) at 35 Main St., Poughkeepsie, which is near one of the best places for viewing.  Friday evening viewing would be at Waryas Park in Poughkeepsie.

hbelkins

Quote from: dougtone on September 08, 2009, 09:57:16 AM
I have decided that I will include the Friday night bridge lighting as part of the meet, for any interested parties.  No, I am still in Oregon, but I have decided on a restaurant for Friday dinner - Mahoney's Irish Pub (http://www.mahoneysirishpub.com/) at 35 Main St., Poughkeepsie, which is near one of the best places for viewing.  Friday evening viewing would be at Waryas Park in Poughkeepsie.

Let us know the time. My plans have changed and I'm coming northeast a day early to do a loop to visit, for the first time, MA, VT, NH, ME and possibly RI, before heading back west to NY. I have it guesstimated that I"ll spend 10 hours on the road on Friday so I will try to time my morning departure from NW Mass/SE Vermont to make it to Poughkeepsie in time for this, but no guarantees.

Roadgeek Adam

I will probably be official now. I have most of the problems in getting there and back solved.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

hbelkins

For those of you who might be planning an overnight stay, be warned. A lot of the motels in Poughkeepsie, Highland and New Paltz are already full up. The Super 8 in Poughkeepsie still had rooms as of Thursday but they were going for $199 each. Yes, that says one hundred ninety-nine.

Kingston or Newburgh might be more viable alternatives, although I found Newburgh's available rooms to be pricey. Ditto for Fishkill.

froggie

Under normal circumstances, it's rare to find a room in that general area for less than $100, even at the low end of the hotel/motel spectrum.

And I'll tell you why they're even higher:  that weekend is Homecoming for West Point...

So for those trying to overnight Friday or Saturday, good luck...cause you're gonna need it.

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2009, 03:05:42 PM
For those of you who might be planning an overnight stay, be warned. A lot of the motels in Poughkeepsie, Highland and New Paltz are already full up. The Super 8 in Poughkeepsie still had rooms as of Thursday but they were going for $199 each. Yes, that says one hundred ninety-nine.

Kingston or Newburgh might be more viable alternatives, although I found Newburgh's available rooms to be pricey. Ditto for Fishkill.

While I have not set my sleeping arrangements in stone for the meet weekend yet, I will say that I will not need to book a hotel room for that weekend.

The Middletown area may be another possibility, and not terribly far from the meet either (I'd say about 35-40 minutes).  Kingston may be the best bet for overnight visitors for the meet.

Also, to touch on what Froggie was getting at, I do see that Marist College (in Poughkeepsie) and SUNY New Paltz have their parents weekend the same weekend.  Vassar College has to be weird and have a freshman parents weekend the weekend before, and their regular parents weekend in April.  I chose the first weekend of October because of the bridge opening, and I suspect that the Walkway Over the Hudson group was considering the parents' weekends as well.  Of course, checking out the I-84/I-87 interchange in Newburgh shouldn't be quite as busy.

hbelkins

Quote from: dougtone on September 12, 2009, 11:13:42 PM

The Middletown area may be another possibility, and not terribly far from the meet either (I'd say about 35-40 minutes).  Kingston may be the best bet for overnight visitors for the meet.

I stayed at Middletown for the Milford, Pa./Delaware Valley meet. Plenty of motels there with reasonable prices. Had I not stayed there earlier this year, and if I wasn't planning on a different route to the area and my subsequent plans to head to New England the day before, I probably would have opted to stay at Middletown.

Rob Adams

Danbury, CT is also possible, though I think prices will be higher than Middletown.

mightyace

I'd like to come but the timing is just a little off.  I'll be in Bloomsburg (about 160 miles away) starting Sept. 27th visiting my Dad but I'll be returning to Tennessee a few days before the meet.

It's a family visit and for various reasons I do not wish to arrive in PA later and I am not able to stay in PA until the meet unless I want to fly back on Sunday the 4th and go to work on Monday which I do not care to do.

Sooner or later, one of these will work out for me!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Dougtone

Additional information has been added to the meet announcement.  We will also be arranging an activity for those in the area on the evening of Friday, October 2nd, details below.

Fall 2009 NYSRE Meeting

Agenda:  The meet tour will focus on transportation and road construction interests, primarily, but not limited to, the vicinity of Poughkeepsie and Newburgh. The tour highlights will include the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge project, which will open up as a pedestrian bridge on October 3, 2009. You can get great bird's-eye views of the Mid-Hudson Bridge and the US 9 Expressway in Poughkeepsie from this bridge. For more information, check out http://www.walkway.org/. We will also be checking out the I-84/I-87 new interchange in Newburgh.

Directions:  From the New York State Thruway (Interstate 87), take Exit 18 (NY 299 - New Paltz/Poughkeepsie) Take NY 299 east to its eastern terminus at US 9W in Highland. Turn right onto US 9W south and the diner will be about a mile to the south, on your right. From Interstate 84, take Exit 10 (US 9W/NY 32) in Newburgh to US 9W north. Take US 9W north about 15 miles to Highland. The diner will be on your left, after US 44 and NY 55 have joined US 9W in a multiplex.

Please RSVP by Thursday, October 1, 2009 so I can call in an accurate head count to the restaurant.

There will also be an activity on the evening of Friday, October 2, 2009.  Interested persons will meet at Mahoney's Irish Pub (http://www.mahoneysirishpub.com/) at 35 Main St., Poughkeepsie, which is near one of the best places for viewing the bridge lighting ceremony.  Friday evening viewing would be at Waryas Park in Poughkeepsie.  Dinner would be at 6:30pm, attending the ceremony would be immediately following dinner.

This meeting is open to all persons.
This page will be updated when information changes.

hbelkins

I will try my best to make it to Mahoney's on Friday night by 6:30.

Dougtone

If you can't make it to dinner, you should just be able to meet us at the bridge viewing.

hbelkins

Quote from: dougtone on September 18, 2009, 08:28:49 PM
If you can't make it to dinner, you should just be able to meet us at the bridge viewing.

True 'dat, and I was thinking the same thing. I'll send you my cell number closer to the date.

I'm staying in Pittsfield, Mass. on Thursday night and hopefully I can get my loop done in time if I pull out of town around 7 a.m.

Dougtone

Last Call for the meet.

We will also be arranging an activity for those in the area on the evening of Friday, October 2nd...

Fall 2009 NYSRE Meeting

Agenda:  The meet tour will focus on transportation and road construction interests, primarily, but not limited to, the vicinity of Poughkeepsie and Newburgh. The tour highlights will include the Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge project, which will open up as a pedestrian bridge on October 3, 2009. You can get great bird's-eye views of the Mid-Hudson Bridge and the US 9 Expressway in Poughkeepsie from this bridge. For more information, check out http://www.walkway.org/. We will also be checking out the I-84/I-87 new interchange in Newburgh.

There will also be an activity on the evening of Friday, October 2, 2009.  Interested persons will meet at Mahoney's Irish Pub (http://www.mahoneysirishpub.com/) at 35 Main St., Poughkeepsie, which is near one of the best places for viewing the bridge lighting ceremony.  Friday evening viewing would be at Waryas Park in Poughkeepsie.  Dinner would be at 6:30pm, attending the ceremony would be immediately following dinner.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.