News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SW Arkansas Meet?

Started by US71, January 06, 2010, 02:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on August 08, 2010, 10:12:19 PM
The Texarkana/ SW Arkansas Roadmeet is about a month away (Sept 18). So far, I have one confirmed attendee and 3 possibles.

Proposed stops include:
-US 59/I-30 interchange west of Texarkana
-I-130  (Future I-49) interchange at I-30
-AR 549/I-49 construction at US 71 near Doddridge
-State Line Road, downtown Texarkana (circles the Post Office)
-old US 67 near Texarkana

-Possible tour of I-49 Corridor in Louisiana between Mila & Hosston

Meeting time will probably be around 10am near US 71 & I-30 (there's a Denny's, but I'm looking for something else)

Any questions, suggestions on what to see, contact me here.

Any ideas on how long the tour will be and what time the festivities will end? I'm still deciding which meet (this one or the NY one the following weekend) I want to attend. I have a plan of attack formulated for the NY meet, but would like to do the same with this one in case this is the one I choose.

Knowing what time we'll be done would let me know if I need to plan to stay Saturday night in Texarkana or if I could hit the road and get a couple of hours of the return trip under my belt.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

Can't make it but would be interested in reports on:

(1) AR 245/19th Street interchange project, and

(2) a look at Section A from La 168 [does it really look like it can be completed in October?]

PLUS

(3) view of grading work from U.S. 71 (I think U.S. 71 is barely in Texas there) in Texas looking into Arkansas.  Photographic view over a state line would be neat.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on August 27, 2010, 09:55:51 AM
The Texarkana/ SW Arkansas Roadmeet is about a month away (Sept 18). So far, I have one confirmed attendee and 3 possibles.

Proposed stops include:
-US 59/I-30 interchange west of Texarkana
-I-130  (Future I-49) interchange at I-30
-AR 549/I-49 construction at US 71 near Doddridge
-State Line Road, downtown Texarkana (circles the Post Office)
-old US 67 near Texarkana

-Possible tour of I-49 Corridor in Louisiana between Mila & Hosston

Meeting time will probably be around 10am near US 71 & I-30 (there's a Denny's, but I'm looking for something else)

Any ideas on how long the tour will be and what time the festivities will end? I'm still deciding which meet (this one or the NY one the following weekend) I want to attend. I have a plan of attack formulated for the NY meet, but would like to do the same with this one in case this is the one I choose.

Knowing what time we'll be done would let me know if I need to plan to stay Saturday night in Texarkana or if I could hit the road and get a couple of hours of the return trip under my belt.

If we tour 49 construction in LA, it may be 5pm-ish. Otherwise, we might wrap by 3.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

I planned on this being my first road meet.

But, I will mostly like be on medical leave (at reduced pay) or out of work at that time.  I'd have the time but not the money.

So, count me as a reluctant no unless I say otherwise.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

wriddle082

As far as I know, I'm still planning on coming to this one.  I'll have all day Friday to get there, so since I really hate I-40 (and it will be down to one lane across the Hernando DeSoto Bridge), I'm gonna take the Natchez Trace Parkway south into Mississippi, then US 82 west all the way to Texarkana, including a ride across the new MS river bridge at Greenville.

Hey H.B., maybe you'd enjoy a relaxing trip down the Trace!  We could even try doing this one together if you wanna ride with me, leave your car at my place (conveniently located 10ish miles from the NTP northern terminus).  It's a thought.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 01, 2010, 12:12:19 AM
As far as I know, I'm still planning on coming to this one.  I'll have all day Friday to get there, so since I really hate I-40 (and it will be down to one lane across the Hernando DeSoto Bridge), I'm gonna take the Natchez Trace Parkway south into Mississippi, then US 82 west all the way to Texarkana, including a ride across the new MS river bridge at Greenville.

Hey H.B., maybe you'd enjoy a relaxing trip down the Trace!  We could even try doing this one together if you wanna ride with me, leave your car at my place (conveniently located 10ish miles from the NTP northern terminus).  It's a thought.

I've pretty much decided on Rochester, NY instead of this one, although that's not set in stone. I was actually planning on using US 82 as my return route. I had planned on driving to Sikeston, Mo. Thursday afternoon, collecting counties in Arkansas on Friday via a leisurely zig-zag route to Texarkana, then heading across US 82 to some point east on the return trip before turning north.

I hate I-40 as well. My one looooong trip from Nashville to Memphis has convinced me never to use that route again if I can help it. If I need to go southwest I'll use the Kentucky parkways, US 51, I-155 and I-55 and avoid I-40 and Memphis altogether.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

I'm have to cancel the Road Meet.   :-(

I have to run to Missouri to check on my folks and it's the only free weekend I'll have until mid-October.

I am tentatively planning on trying again in the Spring, perhaps mid-April. I'll know more as my event schedule starts to fall into place.  :coffee:

Thanks to all who expressed an interest!  :clap:

codyg1985

I am glad we are rescheduling since I couldn't have made it to this one. I hope to be able to come in the spring.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 09, 2010, 06:03:02 PM
I am glad we are rescheduling since I couldn't have made it to this one. I hope to be able to come in the spring.

I'm kind of/sort of looking at the 9th or 16th, but it will probably be close to Thanksgiving before I have a better idea.

wriddle082

Well it will probably be a no-go for me in the spring because I'll be living in South Carolina by that time.

mightyace

Spring would be fine for me, most likely though the weekend of March 19-20 is marked off already as that is the Spring Bristol NASCAR race.

One that would be good distance wise but I think might be too much in a day is April 9th.  NASCAR is at Texas Motor Speedway that evening in Fort Worth.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

I'm in for whatever day you decide.  Just make sure I have enough notice to schedule my flights and hotels (this would be part of a 2-week trip for me).  I'd vote earlier in the year is better so that I can escape the cold.

US71

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 09, 2010, 10:23:03 PM
Well it will probably be a no-go for me in the spring because I'll be living in South Carolina by that time.

Well, if you get a wild hair before you move and want to explore the area, I'm sure me or Bugo could meet you and show you around.  :nod:

wriddle082

Quote from: US71 on September 10, 2010, 07:58:27 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on September 09, 2010, 10:23:03 PM

Well, if you get a wild hair before you move and want to explore the area, I'm sure me or Bugo could meet you and show you around.  :nod:

As much as I would enjoy that, we're planning on being moved no later than the first of the year, and I might be there sooner if my promotion comes through.  No, still haven't heard yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.