News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Any Ontario meets planned anytime in the near future?

Started by A.J. Bertin, April 21, 2010, 11:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

I haven't heard much lately about any meets in Ontario. I know there have been a few in the past and was wondering whether anyone has heard about or is thinking about hosting another Ontario meet at some point in the future.

-A.J. from Michigan
-A.J. from Michigan

DanTheMan414

I know Scott Steeves & Cameron Bevers usually organized those.  They did one in Toronto in 2008, then plans for one last year fell through.  Since neither of them are members on here (though I work with both on CanHighways.com ;)), I can follow-up to see if they were thinking of something for this year, or if someone else wanted to give it a shot.

cbeach40

You're wrong Dan, because I'm usually the one to organize those. So thanks for the recognition there.

Anyway, there's one coming up in Brampton/Mississauga on June 6th. I'll give a more official announcement once we get the venue and details set.
and waterrrrrrr!

agentsteel53

Quote from: cbeach40 on May 04, 2010, 09:25:00 PM
You're wrong Dan, because I'm usually the one to organize those. So thanks for the recognition there.

.. and you are?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

haljackey

What do people do during these meets?  (I have never been so I have no idea.)

hbelkins

Quote from: haljackey on May 04, 2010, 10:39:31 PM

Ontario meets, or meets in general?

Having never been to an Ontario meet -- or to Ontario or to Canada, for that matter -- I can tell you what goes on at normal road meets.

We eat. We trade maps or hand out maps. We talk. We look at pictures or old atlases. We show off roadgeeky toys (my iPad may not arrive in time for this weekend, alas and alack) like cameras and GPSes. Then we jump in our vehicles and go on a tour of the area to see road construction, recently built roads or improvements, historic artifacts (old bridges, old alignments, old signage, etc.), or basically anything that strikes our fancy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on May 04, 2010, 11:46:09 PM
Quote from: haljackey on May 04, 2010, 10:39:31 PM

Ontario meets, or meets in general?

Having never been to an Ontario meet -- or to Ontario or to Canada, for that matter -- I can tell you what goes on at normal road meets.

We eat. We trade maps or hand out maps. We talk. We look at pictures or old atlases. We show off roadgeeky toys (my iPad may not arrive in time for this weekend, alas and alack) like cameras and GPSes. Then we jump in our vehicles and go on a tour of the area to see road construction, recently built roads or improvements, historic artifacts (old bridges, old alignments, old signage, etc.), or basically anything that strikes our fancy.

I went to a road meet in Ontario once, and it was a normal meet. exactly as you described it.  Unfortunately, I've had other obligations for other times there has been Ontario road meets.

cbeach40

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 04, 2010, 09:34:15 PM
Quote from: cbeach40 on May 04, 2010, 09:25:00 PM

.. and you are?

Chris Beach. As I said, the guy who's organized most of the Ontario meets for the last six years.
and waterrrrrrr!

agentsteel53

Quote from: cbeach40 on May 06, 2010, 03:42:55 PM

Chris Beach. As I said, the guy who's organized most of the Ontario meets for the last six years.

well, can you wait until you've got a few dozen posts before coming out of nowhere and writing a condescending post against one of our moderators?

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 06, 2010, 09:37:20 PM
Quote from: cbeach40 on May 06, 2010, 03:42:55 PM

well, can you wait until you've got a few dozen posts before coming out of nowhere and writing a condescending post against one of our moderators?

Dude - a) he's right, and b) it's not condescending.  Wouldn't you be offended if I referred to a list of roadgeeks with good photography and left you off?

agentsteel53

Quote from: AlpsROADS on May 06, 2010, 09:48:55 PM
Dude - a) he's right, and b) it's not condescending.  Wouldn't you be offended if I referred to a list of roadgeeks with good photography and left you off?

I likely wouldn't come out of East Nowhere and post "you're wrong Steve, because I'm usually the one who takes good photographs. So thanks for the recognition there."

I'd probably just toss a link to the blog as a reply.

jake@aaroads.com

Dougtone

Chris and Dan have known each other for quite a few years now.  Let's move on from this one...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.