News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 178; CA 14 west to CA 184

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 07, 2017, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Took the road over Walker Pass to get back to the Central Valley from the Mojave:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/35q6RA

I'm fairly certain that I hit the spots where SSR 178 diverges from the modern route but I'll touch on that when I do the map/historical write up.  I did find the historical marker for Old Isabella and I did visit Old Kernville last year:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUvCQqq

For now though, I'll sum up my thoughts on the current conditions of CA 178.  Walker Pass really is probably the easiest route in (in my opinion anyways) to get across the Sierras due to the shallow grades, low elevation, and lack of people.  The crowds really don't pick up much until Lake Isabella but that's why the expressway is there.  Really there was a ton of people in Lower Kern River Canyon for a weekday and there isn't much that can be done with that section aside from building a brand new alignment.  I managed what I thought was some decent photos of Lower Kern River Canyon which has been on my "to-do" list for awhile.  CHP had a VMS up near CA 155 threatening a DUI checkpoint which I imagine was left over from the weekend.  The lake level was also slightly higher than I'm used but still well behind the other reservoirs after this past winter...damage to the dam will do that.

sparker

Did I see a CA 178 reassurance shield assembly (about the 22nd picture of the 1st page) posted "back to back" with the opposite direction shield thus situated on the left side of the road?  I'd only known Caltrans to do that in heavy mountainous territory where there's no room on one side or another for directional shields on both sides of the road.  This is the first instance I've seen of one in a "normal" posting situation! 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on July 08, 2017, 02:38:22 PM
Did I see a CA 178 reassurance shield assembly (about the 22nd picture of the 1st page) posted "back to back" with the opposite direction shield thus situated on the left side of the road?  I'd only known Caltrans to do that in heavy mountainous territory where there's no room on one side or another for directional shields on both sides of the road.  This is the first instance I've seen of one in a "normal" posting situation!

Indeed it was double sided:

https://flic.kr/p/WwteUc

That's near the bottom of the tall side of the western drop off of Walker Pass.  Despite being mountainous there is actually a substantial shoulder on both lanes of travel, really I think Walker is one of the easier passes for trucks given the gernerous grade.  What a thought was weird is that was the first westbound reassurance shield westbound after turning off the 14 multiplex.  Usually the reassure shield is just before the BGS with the control cities, but there wasn't a 178 to be found.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2017, 02:52:31 PM
...........What a thought was weird is that was the first westbound reassurance shield westbound after turning off the 14 multiplex.  Usually the reassure shield is just before the BGS with the control cities, but there wasn't a 178 to be found.

Some Caltrans districts post the initial reassurance shield either atop or on one of the support posts of those BGS's; I always thought that was one of the best ways to do that, as a driver's attention is called to the BGS and, lo & behold, there's the shield!  Nice & intuitive!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on July 08, 2017, 02:58:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2017, 02:52:31 PM
...........What a thought was weird is that was the first westbound reassurance shield westbound after turning off the 14 multiplex.  Usually the reassure shield is just before the BGS with the control cities, but there wasn't a 178 to be found.

Some Caltrans districts post the initial reassurance shield either atop or on one of the support posts of those BGS's; I always thought that was one of the best ways to do that, as a driver's attention is called to the BGS and, lo & behold, there's the shield!

There was a really good one on 136 that displayed said shield along with 190 as well.  It's always strange to me see how much of a variance there is from districts in terms of signage standards.  Some of the more notable difference usually include; the first reassurance shield, directional placards, end placards, and non-BGS junction shields. Really I'm having a mental debate in my head over if 136, 203, or 158 was the best signed route on this trip.  I want to say 158 had the best signage placement of all the routes.  Either 178 or 270 were signed the worst on this trip, I would probably give the win to 178 given it is a fairly important route whereas 270 is just a glorified park road.

Max Rockatansky

Rather than go into a whole historical summary on the alignment of SSR 178/CA 178 I'll just borrow a link to socalregion.com which already did a extensive write up on the on the highway.  There is a map provided and they even went into bed of Lake Isabella to find old SSR 178:

http://socalregion.com/highways/sr_178/

For what its worth I went looking for Old Kernville last year and found it at the bottom of Lake Isabella near Kernville Cemetery:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUvCQqq

The original town site or Old Kernville is roughly located here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7143593,-118.4379589,154m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

That said, the original alignment of CA 178 from Walker Pass to Bakersfield can be viewed on the 1935 Kern County Map and 1938 State Highway Map (note the 1938 map shows 178 in error on LRN 142:

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~247291~5515356:Kern-County-?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:california%2Bdivision%2Bof%2Bhighways;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=37&trs=163

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~239588~5511892:Road-Map-of-the-State-of-California?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:caltrans;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=69&trs=86

The 178 realignments for the Lake Isabella project can be seen here on the 1952 State Highway Map and 1953 State Highway Map:

1952 State Highway Map

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~239561~5511874:Road-Map-of-the-State-of-California?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:caltrans;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=51&trs=86

1953 State Highway Map

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~239558~5511872:Road-Map-of-the-State-of-California?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:caltrans;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=49&trs=86

The modern expressway from Lake Isabella to Lower Kern River Canyon can be seen completed from 1970 to 1975.  The implied new routing which would realigned CA 178 out of Lower Kern River Canyon was never built:

1970 State Highway Map

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~239509~5511840:State-Highway-Map,-California,-1970?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:caltrans;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=17&trs=86

1975 State Highway Map

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~239509~5511840:State-Highway-Map,-California,-1970?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:caltrans;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=17&trs=86

Walker Pass is at 5,520 feet above sea level and was traversed by Europeans who learned of it from the Native American tribes in 1834.  The first wagon train to use Walker Pass was in 1843 and was called Walker Pass by 1845.  Walker Pass was indirectly the reason why Death Valley was accidentally discovered when the Lost 49ers attempted to find a short cut through the Great Basin and Mojave.  Apparently emigrants were too afraid to try Donner Pass early in the fall season after what happened to the Donner Party in 1846.  Interestingly the Lost 49er party actually made it out of Death Valley but still missed Walker Pass:

https://www.nps.gov/deva/learn/historyculture/the-lost-49ers.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_%2749ers

Max Rockatansky

Starting out from CA 14 there are no reassurance shields for CA 178 after the multiplex but just a BGS with the distances ahead:

IMG_2070 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There is a historic marker for Fremont Junction which used to be located at the junction of US 6 and CA 178:

IMG_2071 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The climb west to Walker Pass isn't steep but it rises pretty quickly from a little over 3,000 feet.  The speed limit is 60 MPH here:

IMG_2073 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Above 4,000 feet there is small Joshua Tree forest approaching Walker Pass:

IMG_2075 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2077 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

At the approach to Walker Pass there is a slight change in the plant life.  There is a downhill sign for the next 9 miles but the "Walker Pass" sign I know was here in the past was gone.  There is a historical marker in the eastbound lane I didn't stop for given a guy with a boat was behind me:

IMG_2080 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2081 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The grade west off Walker Pass is pretty tame.  The shoulders are fairly wide and its pretty easy to go fast downhill with no issues:

IMG_2082 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Pretty quickly the Kern River Valley comes into view which essentially is just a really large canyon:

IMG_2083 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Surprisingly there is no overlook anywhere on Walker Pass, you have to make your own which is somewhat easy with the wide shoulder lanes:

IMG_2084 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

At the bottom of the pass is the first CA 178 reassurance shield which is oddly double sided.  :eyebrow:

IMG_2090 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The terrain levels out along the North Fork Kern River.  The views of the Sierras and Walker Pass are pretty nice:

IMG_2101 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2104 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2105 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2105 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Oddly there is a BGS and reassurance shield kind of isolated in the middle of nowhere east of Onyx...I'm not sure why?

IMG_2108 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Entering Onyx there is very old store that has been in operation since 1851:

IMG_2112 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2113 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The speed limit drops in Weldon, I suspect because of the school close to the roadway:

IMG_2115 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Approaching South Lake the traffic on 178 picks up considerably given the proximity to Lake Isabella:

IMG_2116 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Another BGS westbound and South Lake proper:

IMG_2118 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2121 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Approaching Mountain Mesa the roadway starts to ascend above Lake Isabella:

IMG_2122 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2123 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The water level on Lake Isabella is slightly higher this year as evidenced by the trees that have been submerged ahead.  Old SSR 178 would have crossed left to right up ahead:

IMG_2125 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The modern highway above the lake, I think the guy in the Impala was trying to get me to pass him:

IMG_2130 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

A historical marker at the Old Isabella Road boat ramp which discusses Old Isabella and has a nice overlook of the area:

IMG_2133 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2135 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2141 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2142 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Entering Lake Isabella modern CA 178 splits off onto the modern expressway whereas the former alignment would have have been on Lake Isabella Blvd on the left:

IMG_2143 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Screwed up my photo of the BGS for CA 155 so I had to crop it as the expressway began:

IMG_2144 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Most of the expressway follows the north bank of the Kern River and was intended to all the way to Bakerfield, the older alignment follows the south bank:

IMG_2146 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2148 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2149 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The expressway ends crossing over the Kern River where the two lane section resumes.  I think this is a nice drive but most locals hate the Lower Kern River Canyon segment:

IMG_2152 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The eastbound traffic has a couple more miles of two lanes after coming out of the Lower Kern River Canyon:

IMG_2153 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I'm fairly certain that 178 would have had to be been built on top of the canyon as there is literally no more room to build anything in it:

IMG_2159 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2160 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The road is pretty narrow but I'd say still can be driven up to the 55 MPH speed limit in the straights:

IMG_2167 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2172 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

There are some really nice draw distances at times in the Lower Kern River Canyon for photos...not many though:

IMG_2177 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2183 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Finally the elevation drops below 1,000 feet approaching San Joaquin Valley and Bakersfield:

IMG_2187 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Approaching the mouth of the canyon there is a small power station on the river:

IMG_2188 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2189 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Lower Kern River Canyon has a pretty abrupt end entering Bakersfield:

IMG_2192 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2196 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

CHP and Bakersfield PD love to sit at the mouth of Lower Kern River Canyon tagging speeders.  Still a really cool road with a nice entrance shot of the canyon mouth:

IMG_2198 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Weird to see such an abrupt end to the Sierras, it really isn't like that in other parts of the range where the foot hills are so large:

IMG_2197 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

There is even a "Kill Counter" at the mouth of the canyon.  280 is a lot of people since 1968, I'm sure that isn't "all" from swimming.  :meh:

IMG_2204 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

One last westbound shot before reaching CA 184:

IMG_2206 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2208 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

hm insulators

The little powerhouse was built in 1906 and it supplied electricity to Los Angeles via what was at the time the longest-distance power transmission line and the highest voltage (50,000, if I remember correctly) one. On top of that, it was the first transmission line to use all-steel towers, provided by a company that made towers for windmills. Some of those quaint old towers can still be seen along I-5 between Castaic and Tejon Pass; a handful of them even still exist in the San Fernando Valley.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hm insulators on July 12, 2017, 12:38:28 PM
The little powerhouse was built in 1906 and it supplied electricity to Los Angeles via what was at the time the longest-distance power transmission line and the highest voltage (50,000, if I remember correctly) one. On top of that, it was the first transmission line to use all-steel towers, provided by a company that made towers for windmills. Some of those quaint old towers can still be seen along I-5 between Castaic and Tejon Pass; a handful of them even still exist in the San Fernando Valley.

And I'm assuming the Kern River was probably chosen to house all this due to ease of access from the Central Valley?  Is it still in operation today?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.