New York State Roads

Started by vdeane, June 15, 2013, 12:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Just got my domain name set up, so I figured I'd announce the website I've been working on.  The photo gallery portion is pretty bare bones right now, but I only just coded that section a couple of days ago.  I hope to work on adding more exit lists and photos soon.

And yes, I allow image hotlinking from AA Roads (but nowhere else).

Note: I only just purchased the domain a couple of hours ago, so if the link doesn't work, just wait a while and try again, as it might not have propagated to your local DNS server yet.

http://www.nysroads.com
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KEVIN_224

Worked fine for me here and my Mozilla Firefox browser. :)

Alex

Site looks good. I look forward to seeing what you add!

spmkam

Exit 21 Southbound 95 also include Midland Avenue for Rye and Port Chester because you can access it along with I-287

Alps

Congrats! Great timing, I will link you in my next update.

vdeane

Quote from: spmkam on June 15, 2013, 01:14:50 AM
Exit 21 Southbound 95 also include Midland Avenue for Rye and Port Chester because you can access it along with I-287
I go by the main signage unless something's wrong (such as region 2's over-use of the word "to"); it's on the I-287 page but I'll add a note in the I-95 page.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

I-490 Exit 19 is for Culver Road, not Avenue. :-)

I-95 and others: It's officially "Borough of The Bronx"–the article is part of the borough's name but not the county's.

For I-86, are we thinking it's officially designated to Exit 59, or is that just in anticipation? As of last weekend those signs were still covered, or at least intended to be.

Hmm, that Monroe County SIN marker looks rather familiar...  :hmmm:

Any plans for more exit lists? One road I've never seen a listing for is Robert Moses State Parkway.

Can't wait to see what else you add!

vdeane

Quote from: empirestate on June 16, 2013, 12:15:14 AM
I-490 Exit 19 is for Culver Road, not Avenue. :-)
Guess I must have been stuck on "Monroe Avenue" when I typed out Culver.  Can't believe it hasn't been caught until now.

I-95 and others: It's officially "Borough of The Bronx"–the article is part of the borough's name but not the county's.
Interesting.

For I-86, are we thinking it's officially designated to Exit 59, or is that just in anticipation? As of last weekend those signs were still covered, or at least intended to be.
They were uncovered when I drove through in March.

Hmm, that Monroe County SIN marker looks rather familiar...  :hmmm:
Hope you don't mind ;) I'm gonna look into using the Wikipedia one anyways though; it matches the green of the NY and VT reference markers.

Any plans for more exit lists? One road I've never seen a listing for is Robert Moses State Parkway.
In the immediate future, the remainder of regions 2 and 3; after that, the remaining upstate interstates and regions 1, 5, and 9 (already have 4, 6, and 7 complete, not that 6 and 7 are much of an accomplishment).  If you look at the page source for the exit lists index I have as comments all the other planned ones, which I think covers all the freeways in the state (unless you count the short piece of Northway south of I-90, which I plan to add a note on I-87's and I-90's lists for the mall exit to treat it like a ramp).

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on June 16, 2013, 07:56:22 PM
Quote from: empirestate on June 16, 2013, 12:15:14 AM
Interesting.

That's according to the borough historian, who is a neighbor in my building.

They were uncovered when I drove through in March.

The plot thickens...why would they have them uncovered, then covered? (Unless they were just late on their garbage bag order!)

vdeane

I seem to recall something similar happening on the eastern Binghamton segment.  NYSDOT jumped the gun and put an I-86 shield on some signage on I-81, covered it up a few month later, and then applied to have the segment designated when they were tired of that.  That's how we got the segment east of Binghamton.

vdeane

Maybe I should have waited on that domain name.  My desktop just died.  The motherboard is stuck at the screen that says "press del to enter setup".  It's gonna be another month before I can get another server.  Currently running a down page from my laptop, but there's gonna be nothing but a blank domain this weekend because I'll be visiting family.  I was afraid this would happen.  My desktop is eight years old and the heat it's been generating lately had me worried.  I had hoped it would last long enough to get a replacement.

EDIT: Looks like my power supply decided to get super-picky about outlets the moment my motherboard decided it hated my external hard drive.  Lovely.  Can't wait until I have a desktop that's new enough to fully understand what USB is (mine can boot from USB but classifies all USB storage as an internal hard drive, which I can only assume is the reason why it won't boot with my external attached; to boot from a flash drive, I literally have to go into BIOS and change the hard drive boot order)

vdeane

I'm finally moving through my photo backlog, starting with 2007 (when I started taking digital road pictures) and moving forward.  If you see any weird formatting it means I just created a state/route and don't have any images for it yet (I didn't think the query performance cost to making it smart enough to deal with updates was worth it; you'd need to join three tables to do it).

jasonsk287

Quote from: vdeane on June 15, 2013, 12:20:17 AM
Just got my domain name set up, so I figured I'd announce the website I've been working on.  The photo gallery portion is pretty bare bones right now, but I only just coded that section a couple of days ago.  I hope to work on adding more exit lists and photos soon.

And yes, I allow image hotlinking from AA Roads (but nowhere else).

Note: I only just purchased the domain a couple of hours ago, so if the link doesn't work, just wait a while and try again, as it might not have propagated to your local DNS server yet.

http://www.nysroads.com

I like the beginnings of your site. Looking forward to seeing you add more.

vdeane

I just updated the photo gallery code to link to a "small" version of each image instead of the full-size one, which should help people with less bandwidth.  Let me know if you want the "back" functionality I introduced there on the rest of the site.

Next exit list plans: US 9, the Taconic, and expanding to Vermont.

hotdogPi

May be off topic, but...

I love NY 22 and NY 23. I don't know why, though.

However, they seem to get no mention on your site, despite NY 22 being relatively important, and NY 23 crossing the Hudson River.

(Note: I have not been on either, although I have crossed NY 22 on I-90, NY 23 on I-88, and MA 23 on the Mass Pike.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vdeane

I never did writeups for all the state highways, and the photos are dependent on where I've taken pictures and how interesting the signs are (I do all the guide signs for freeways, but other roads are hit and miss... I'm also less likely to have a picture of something if I travel the road so often that it feels commonplace, or if I didn't have time to take my camera out for something I didn't know about (assuming I had the camera)).  I'll probably have photos for NY 23 if I ever get on the Rip van Winkle Bridge.

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on December 28, 2013, 03:40:47 PM
May be off topic, but...

I love NY 22 and NY 23. I don't know why, though.

However, they seem to get no mention on your site, despite NY 22 being relatively important, and NY 23 crossing the Hudson River.

Damn near ancient history by now, but: http://www.empirestateroads.com/travel/ny22/

I never did NY 23; my next endeavor would have been NY 28.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on December 28, 2013, 04:23:08 PM
I never did writeups for all the state highways, and the photos are dependent on where I've taken pictures and how interesting the signs are (I do all the guide signs for freeways, but other roads are hit and miss... I'm also less likely to have a picture of something if I travel the road so often that it feels commonplace, or if I didn't have time to take my camera out for something I didn't know about (assuming I had the camera)).  I'll probably have photos for NY 23 if I ever get on the Rip van Winkle Bridge.
If you can make it to the NYC meet, I highly recommend traveling NY 22 on the way down or back. In fact, it's a pretty good ride almost all the way to the southern end, even south of I-84.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on December 28, 2013, 04:23:08 PM

NY 22 is one of the longest routes in the state, but it goes mostly through the middle of nowhere, so there's not that much occasion for one to drive on it unless one deliberately makes a point to.  My NY 22 photo gallery is pretty small, despite the length of the route.  Ditto for NY 32.

vdeane

Just expanded into Vermont with the I-89 and I-189 lists yesterday; currently working on I-91.  Once I get the Vermont lists up, I'll probably take a break before doing I-278.

vdeane

Hello Viatologists!

I have seen the light and it is with great enthusiasm that I announce my partnership with Lord Sir Carl Rodgers The Great.  Henceforth New York State Roads is renamed to the New York Transportation Library (NYTL; same URL for ease of use).  The site will be used to analyze the transportology of roads in New York and I look forward to hosting the Corning/Elmira Viatology Convention this weekend!

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on April 01, 2014, 12:04:21 AM
Hello Viatologists!

I have seen the light and it is with great enthusiasm that I announce my partnership with Lord Sir Carl Rodgers The Great.  Henceforth New York State Roads is renamed to the New York Transportation Library (NYTL; same URL for ease of use).  The site will be used to analyze the transportology of roads in New York and I look forward to hosting the Corning/Elmira Viatology Convention this weekend!

Is this for real, or is this an April Fool's joke?  I can't tell because the site seems to be down at the moment.

kurumi

Quote from: vdeane on April 01, 2014, 12:04:21 AM
Hello Viatologists!

(golf clap)

Check out her site; there are more Easter eggs, such as the main heading on this page: http://www.nysroads.com/viatology/photos.php?route=us2&state=ME
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

vdeane

A word of warning: NYS Roads WILL be down at some point next month when I move.  When and how long is TBD.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on April 29, 2014, 04:48:18 PM
A word of warning: NYS Roads WILL be down at some point next month when I move.  When and how long is TBD.

Is that supposed to mean that you're self-hosting?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.