News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rejected License Plates

Started by Max Rockatansky, March 29, 2019, 10:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on March 30, 2019, 02:50:44 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 30, 2019, 08:56:56 AM
FIB rejected... I would think that Wisconsin would want something anti-Illinois.

They know what it means.  On the other hand, I saw an Illinois plate that was "NO FIB" .
Which could also mean "no lie."

GenExpwy

From Sunday's Democrat and Chronicle:

QuoteThrough some 35 years and eight successive New York State Department of Motor Vehicles commissioners, Dr. Victor Poleshuck enjoyed his custom license plate: "XX  XY."

For the retired obstetrician and professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Rochester, the plate was a conversation starter and a subtle homage to his profession.

But he couldn't explain a letter he received recently from the DMV informing him that his long-held plate was being rescinded because it was "objectionable."

(The DMV backed down after the newspaper inquired.)

abefroman329

Quote from: GenExpwy on April 01, 2019, 02:06:41 AM
From Sunday's Democrat and Chronicle:

QuoteThrough some 35 years and eight successive New York State Department of Motor Vehicles commissioners, Dr. Victor Poleshuck enjoyed his custom license plate: "XX  XY."

For the retired obstetrician and professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Rochester, the plate was a conversation starter and a subtle homage to his profession.

But he couldn't explain a letter he received recently from the DMV informing him that his long-held plate was being rescinded because it was "objectionable."

(The DMV backed down after the newspaper inquired.)
You can't really teach a computer to take context into account.  So your choice is (a) a whole lot of obscene license plates or (b) the occasional situation such as the above.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 31, 2019, 08:03:03 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 30, 2019, 02:50:44 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 30, 2019, 08:56:56 AM
FIB rejected... I would think that Wisconsin would want something anti-Illinois.

They know what it means.  On the other hand, I saw an Illinois plate that was "NO FIB" .
Which could also mean "no lie."

With a University of Wisconsin license plate bracket?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SectorZ

Massachusetts, at some point recently, was at 2XXX ## for their plates.

I happened to see one that was 2WAT ##

Say that out loud as one syllable, realize that there are probably close to a hundred given the 2 digits at the end, and wonder how that random one was allowed to slide through.

KEVIN_224

Connecticut should have a bigger list of rejects soon, as 7-letter plates finally made it to our state a few years ago.

ErmineNotyours

I finally found an ANU5### series plate.  The state has a sense of humor after all.

SkyPesos

"3JOH22A" is a classic one that didn't get rejected and made it onto mainstream memes.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 15, 2021, 01:33:29 AM
"3JOH22A" is a classic one that didn't get rejected and made it onto mainstream memes.

ASSHOLE backwards?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

zachary_amaryllis

clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

andrepoiy

Ontario operates with 4 letters as well, but U doesn't get used in any plate so the ANU-5 situation would never happen here lol

hbelkins

Kentucky has an "AZZ" series of passenger car plates and I'm a bit surprised they let that go.

I saw an out-of-state personalized plate -- unfortunately I can't remember what state -- 4 F SAKE. I presume that's another way of saying what's commonly abbreviated on Twitter as "FFS." For Fudge's (only I didn't say fudge) Sake.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 20, 2021, 10:28:16 PM
(only I didn't say fudge)

I said the word.
The big one.
The queen mother of dirty words.
The F dash dash dash word!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Kentucky has an "AZZ" series of passenger car plates and I'm a bit surprised they let that go.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 09:37:59 AM
(only I didn't say fudge)

I said the word.
The big one.
The queen mother of dirty words.
The F dash dash dash word!

Do a Google Image Search for "autocorrect duck". It's all the same idea, but there's quite a wide variety in how it's presented.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Back before smartphones, my cell phone always rendered my friend Jordan's name as "Korean" in T9.  Now that I'm back to using a T9 dumbphone again, I'm admit that I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't do that.  I still call her "Korean" when I see her, as a nod to the past.
Male pronouns, please.

kurumi

Quote from: 1 on July 21, 2021, 09:41:34 AM
Do a Google Image Search for "autocorrect duck". It's all the same idea, but there's quite a wide variety in how it's presented.

Would "DUCK OFF" be rejected as profanity-adjacent?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 12:24:30 PM
Quote from: kurumi on July 21, 2021, 12:19:28 PM
Would "DUCK OFF" be rejected as profanity-adjacent?

http://duck-off.com/

QuoteDuck Off reduces the surface tension of swimming pool water and ducks and geese cannot comfortably float on the surface.

Wait, wouldn't that mean humans would also be unable to comfortably float on the surface? (Not that I do that too often when I get in the pool, but still.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

OCGuy81

I imagine some states, perhaps in the Bible Belt, would have an aversion to issuing 666?

OCGuy81

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 15, 2021, 01:04:27 AM
I finally found an ANU5### series plate.  The state has a sense of humor after all.

That's fantastic.  I can't help but think of this from Arrested Development.

Big John

kphoger

Quote from: OCGuy81 on July 22, 2021, 07:05:29 PM
I imagine some states, perhaps in the Bible Belt, would have an aversion to issuing 666?

I'm guessing the tag office would have no problem issuing them, but they might be hard pressed to find a driver who actually wants to accept them.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 09:01:15 AM

I'm guessing the tag office would have no problem issuing them, but they might be hard pressed to find a driver who actually wants to accept them.

I've heard stories about people not wanting to accept a plate with 666 on it. Responses in the issuing agencies' office range from accommodating their request, to saying "we have to issue them in numerical order" so the customer has to wait until someone who doesn't mind the number accepts that plate, and then they can get one.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me. Of course, I work in a town where the only local prefix for years was 666. I've gotten a few comments over the years when I've given people the number here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

catch22

Quote from: hbelkins on July 23, 2021, 09:45:36 AM
Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 09:01:15 AM

I've heard stories about people not wanting to accept a plate with 666 on it. Responses in the issuing agencies' office range from accommodating their request, to saying "we have to issue them in numerical order" so the customer has to wait until someone who doesn't mind the number accepts that plate, and then they can get one.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me. Of course, I work in a town where the only local prefix for years was 666. I've gotten a few comments over the years when I've given people the number here.

Early in my telephone career, I was a telephone installer for the local Bell.  One of the cities I worked in had 666 as one of their prefixes.  Over a 3 year period, I had a handful of people refuse new service because they had been assigned a 666 number and we then had to do an expedited change order to get them a number in one of the other prefixes, which caused a one or two day delay in getting them service.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.