News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

“Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?” cancelled after 20 years

Started by LM117, May 23, 2019, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jp the roadgeek

The Regis version was a thrice weekly regular.  I remember being in bars and people asking the bartender to put it on instead of a game.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

PHLBOS

Quote from: LM117 on May 23, 2019, 03:29:09 PMI used to watch it often during it's early years.
I'm assuming you're referring to the Regis Philbin era.  That's when I was watching it.

The monochrome look (ties that were in the same color as his shirts) and the catch-phrase "(Is that your) final answer?" will always be his trademarks IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 23, 2019, 04:16:30 PM
The Regis version was a thrice weekly regular.  I remember being in bars and people asking the bartender to put it on instead of a game.

Didn't that start as a once-weekly show, but once they saw the ratings draw they added a lot more shows each week?

In the what's-old-is-new-again department, it was unique to air a primetime game show, which greatly helped it's popularity.

LM117

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 23, 2019, 04:18:40 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 23, 2019, 03:29:09 PMI used to watch it often during it's early years.
I'm assuming you're referring to the Regis Philbin era.  That's when I was watching it.

The monochrome look (ties that were in the same color as his shirts) and the catch-phrase "(Is that your) final answer?" will always be his trademarks IMHO.

Yep. That was when it was at it's best. Terry Crews was the worst host, IMO.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

MisterSG1

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 23, 2019, 04:45:16 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 23, 2019, 04:16:30 PM

Didn't that start as a once-weekly show, but once they saw the ratings draw they added a lot more shows each week?

In the what's-old-is-new-again department, it was unique to air a primetime game show, which greatly helped it's popularity.

Not exactly,

Millionaire, at least in the US, started out as a two week special towards the end of August 1999. The show was of course incredibly popular, and these episodes except the Saturday episodes were all a half hour a show.

The show came back for another two weeks in November of 1999, and on November 19, John Carpenter famously won the grand prize on the question about Laugh In and using only his phone a friend, to let his parents know he was going to win the million.

In January of 2000, it moved to the three times a week, hour long shows that you speak of started, and this continued with Regis until the end of June 2002. Meredith Viera hosted a syndicated version thereafter that fall until 2013.

Regis came back twice to host millionaire in prime time, in 2004 for Super Millionaire which had a grand prize of 10 million but had insanely difficult questions. He also came back for the 10th anniversary of the show in Aug 2009 hosting daily shows like he did back in Aug 1999.

This reminds me sort of off topic, but I was a huge fan and still do miss what many called a complete knockoff of millionaire that FOX started in Nov 2000 called "Greed" , it was more dark, more interesting, perhaps it was ahead of its time. But that show only lasted weekly until the middle of July 2000.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.