News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

The past couple of times I've driven through Circleville I've noticed major earthwork going on in the field east of US 23 and south of Pittsburgh Rd and wondered what was going on. After looking into it I've found that there is a new plant being built by an Italian toilet paper/facial tissue/paper towels company on a 280 acre plot: http://www.sofidel.com/en/news-items/groundbreaking-of-the-new-plant-in-circleville

Hopefully the entrance(s) to this plant will connect to Pittsburgh Rd and not directly to US 23, which would make the most sense as Pittsburgh Rd already serves as the connection to 23 for several other plants and has a traffic light.

And as a side note, there is also a new Love's truck stop going up in the immediate SE corner of 23 & Pittsburgh Rd, across from the existing Pilot.

The Ghostbuster

One Ohio project that has interested me has been the Opportunity Corridor off the end of Interstate 490 in Cleveland. Would anyone like to comment on that project?

Buck87

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 01, 2017, 04:17:14 PM
One Ohio project that has interested me has been the Opportunity Corridor off the end of Interstate 490 in Cleveland. Would anyone like to comment on that project?

There is a thread for it here in the Midwest Great Lakes forum (although it hasn't been commented on since 2014):
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12544.msg303570#msg303570

dvferyance

Quote from: hbelkins on January 23, 2017, 05:00:48 PM
I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )
It all varies where you are. I do associate SE Kentucky with the south no question it's culturally southern but the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati are different they are more connected with the midwest.

hbelkins

Quote from: dvferyance on March 02, 2017, 03:13:59 PM
I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )
It all varies where you are. I do associate SE Kentucky with the south no question it's culturally southern but the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati are different they are more connected with the midwest.

Yet I get the impression that those in Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties have the attitude of, "You're in the south now!"

Or "Y'all are in the south, now," if you prefer.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dvferyance

Quote from: hbelkins on March 02, 2017, 03:35:10 PM

Yet I get the impression that those in Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties have the attitude of, "You're in the south now!"

I just think northern Kentucky is still too far north to be considered the south. Let's face it Ohio is just to the north which borders Lake Erie which also borders Canada. Even southern Kentucky feels northern when your coming up from Florida/Georgia although I will still say it's southern.

sparker

Having traveled OH 32 east-to-west, my impression was that east of US 23 the overall "feel" of both the area and the people residing in that area was a virtual western extension of West Virginia.  Once past US 23, it had more of the "classic Midwest" vibe -- particularly from about Peebles west into metro Cincinnati.  As an aside, the northern Kentucky 'burbs of Cincinnati share that same Midwestern feel as does Cincinnati itself; I can't say the same for the remainder of the state, which "leans" South but, on the other hand, always seems to want to assert some sense of independence or "uniqueness". 

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on March 02, 2017, 03:35:10 PM

Florence, Y'all

amroad17

Quote from: sparker on March 04, 2017, 02:54:10 AM
Having traveled OH 32 east-to-west, my impression was that east of US 23 the overall "feel" of both the area and the people residing in that area was a virtual western extension of West Virginia.  Once past US 23, it had more of the "classic Midwest" vibe -- particularly from about Peebles west into metro Cincinnati.  As an aside, the northern Kentucky 'burbs of Cincinnati share that same Midwestern feel as does Cincinnati itself; I can't say the same for the remainder of the state, which "leans" South but, on the other hand, always seems to want to assert some sense of independence or "uniqueness".
I agree with your assertion of OH 32.  Once past Peebles, more specifically once past OH 73 six miles east of Peebles, the vibe/feel does change--as well as the terrain.  East past OH 73, one is starting to encounter the Appalachian foothills (especially the hill climb and descent at the Adams/Pike County line) and there is obviously an even more of a rural "feel" from there all the way to Belpre.

Since I live in the "Kentucky 'burbs of Cincinnati" and am not a "born Kentuckian", I can say that a majority of the people that live here lean more "South" than "Midwest".  Northern Kentucky does have a very suburban Cincinnati look, but these folks would rather associate with those from Lexington or Louisville than those from Cincinnati--even though many people (including me) live in Northern Kentucky and work in the Cincinnati area of Ohio.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Buck87

Quote from: amroad17 on March 08, 2017, 12:26:12 AM
Since I live in the "Kentucky 'burbs of Cincinnati" and am not a "born Kentuckian", I can say that a majority of the people that live here lean more "South" than "Midwest".  Northern Kentucky does have a very suburban Cincinnati look, but these folks would rather associate with those from Lexington or Louisville than those from Cincinnati--even though many people (including me) live in Northern Kentucky and work in the Cincinnati area of Ohio.

That's the same vibe I get when stopping in that area...you definitely know you're in Kentucky. Although I should point out, where I typically stop is along the stretch between 275 and the 71/75 split, so I can't speak much for the Newport/Covington/Bellevue area.

dvferyance

Everyone can have their own opinion. It's just how I would define it everything north of I-64 is the midwest. South of there about 30 or 40 miles or so is the transition zone. And south of there is where the real south begins. Berea KY is the place I would consider to be the gateway to the south if your on I-75.

sparker

Quote from: dvferyance on March 08, 2017, 02:34:33 PM
Everyone can have their own opinion. It's just how I would define it everything north of I-64 is the midwest. South of there about 30 or 40 miles or so is the transition zone. And south of there is where the real south begins. Berea KY is the place I would consider to be the gateway to the south if your on I-75.

The few times I've been to Lexington I've come away with the impression of a college town "grown up" into a full-fledged city -- not Midwest, not South -- maybe because a lot of the folks there (including several personal friends) weren't KY natives but ended up there because of the ambience and the more collegiate "feel" to the town.  Having a lot of "startup" businesses with Lexington-area HQ's adds to that impression.  This is in comparison to Louisville, which always seemed more "southern" to me although on the same basic latitude as Lexington. 

hbelkins

I've never thought of Lexington as a college town even though UK is there. Lexington, for this area of the state, has always been two things. One is the major shopping/entertainment/medical hub for the reason. Two is the home of the snobby NIMBY horse farm owners. Take away UK and Lexington is still going to be what it is.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

I actually think removing UK from Lexington would be a big hit to it.  It would still be there, but it wouldn't be the size that it is today.  UK's a huge employer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buck87

From District 3's latest weekly construction update:
QuoteInterstate 90 ***NEW***
I-90, at its bridges over West River Road and over SR 57, will have nightly lane closures as crews begin work for the bridge replacements. The project is expected to be complete in May 2019.

The new bridges will almost certainly be built wide enough to accommodate 3 lanes, as was the case with several other new bridges recently built on the same section of I-90 (over the Black River, Ford Rd, Lake Ave and a north/south rail line.) Once the OH 57 and West River Rd bridges are done, there will only be one pair of bridges left that aren't wide enough for 3 lanes (which are over a rail line just west of OH 611)

No idea when ODOT plans to 6 lane I-90 from OH 611 to the OH 2 split, but they are clearly making sure the bridges will be ready for it when the time comes. 

thenetwork

I remember 15-20 years ago when they were quickly widening I-90 from SR-252/Columbia Road down to SR-611/Colorado Avenue and thought they'd have it done to the Turnpike in no time.  Then things came to a grinding halt. Then all the attention turned to widening/rebuilding I-90 east of Cleveland.

At least in the time since the last widening project on the west side, they have slowly rebuilt many mainline bridges (mentioned above) and the SR-57 interchange in advance of the impending widening & rebuild.

Anybody know if they are even considering adding lanes on SR-2 from the I-90 split to SR-58 in the near future?  That's about the only other widening I can consider being warranted out there in the next 20-30 years.

Buck87

Quote from: thenetwork on March 20, 2017, 10:21:32 PM
Anybody know if they are even considering adding lanes on SR-2 from the I-90 split to SR-58 in the near future?  That's about the only other widening I can consider being warranted out there in the next 20-30 years.

They did just replace the first two bridges on OH 2 west of the I-90 split, so knowing whether or not those new bridges were built wide enough for 3 lanes would go a long way to answering that. I was actually just through there last week, but unfortunately wasn't paying attention to this detail. Anyone know if they were built wide enough for 3 lanes? 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

MORPC Open house in Columbus next week...
Federal, state and local agencies have committed to invest $2 billion in highway, public transit and bikeway/pedestrian projects in our local communities over the next four years.
Join us at our Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Open House from 3:30-6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 4th at our offices (111 Liberty St., Suite 100, Columbus). A presentation will take place at 5:30 p.m.
You can also view and comment on the projects through the link below. More info at morpc.org/tip
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mvak36

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 28, 2017, 08:37:54 PM
Federal, state and local agencies have committed to invest $2 billion in highway, public transit and bikeway/pedestrian projects in our local communities over the next four years.
Join us at our Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) Open House from 3:30-6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 4th at our offices (111 Liberty St., Suite 100, Columbus). A presentation will take place at 5:30 p.m.
You can also view and comment on the projects through the link below. More info at morpc.org/tip

I just scanned the map quickly but one of the things that caught my eye was seeing that a few more segments of the Columbus project will be under construction (Phases 2E,3B,4R) or in ROW acquisition (Phases 3,4B,5,6). It's good to see that starting up again.

Also, the 70, 71, and 270 widenings will be good once they're done.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

dvferyance

Quote from: thenetwork on March 20, 2017, 10:21:32 PM
I remember 15-20 years ago when they were quickly widening I-90 from SR-252/Columbia Road down to SR-611/Colorado Avenue and thought they'd have it done to the Turnpike in no time.  Then things came to a grinding halt. Then all the attention turned to widening/rebuilding I-90 east of Cleveland.

At least in the time since the last widening project on the west side, they have slowly rebuilt many mainline bridges (mentioned above) and the SR-57 interchange in advance of the impending widening & rebuild.

They did a nice job cleaning up OH-57 around the Midway Mall area. The way it used to be was just insane.

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on March 28, 2017, 08:37:54 PM

Sweet, I think I can make that open house
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vtk

The traffic light on US 23 in front of Malwart on the south end of Waverly has been improperly configured since the repaving last year. This signal has "prepare to stop when flashing" advance warning signs, but they don't start flashing until a fraction of a second after the signal itself turns yellow. A driver can pass the advance sign when it's not flashing, assume the light will stay green, and then be surprised when it turns red in front of em.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

http://www.columbusunderground.com/bridge-work-to-shut-down-stretch-of-indianola-avenue-for-six-months-bw1
For the two or three of you traveling around Columbus, bypassing High St in Clintonville will be a little harder to do this summer.

Bridge in question, from 14 years ago.
http://www.roadfan.com/clinton3.html#echo

Hot Rod Hootenanny

ODOT having more discussions concerning the "new" I-71/US 36-Oh 37 interchange (for the outlet mall)
http://www.thisweeknews.com/news/20170413/berkshire-township-more-interchange-meetings-planned

ysuindy

I don't think I've seen this posted before.

Stumbled across this Youngstown Vindicator story from August 2016 about the 40 year anniversary of the completion of I-680.

Interesting story on the history of the road and a pdf that includes original blueprints of the road.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/aug/21/i-680-1643-mile-interstate-took-16-years-complete/

I remember to opening of the full highway, made my commute to YSU for four years starting Fall 1977 a lot easier. 

I also remember the explosion during the construction.  I've tried to find more information about it, but haven't had much luck.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.