News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Does Kentucky still post mileage signs on its state routes?

Started by bandit957, December 08, 2018, 05:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Does Kentucky still do this? By this, I don't mean the really big routes like KY 9 that have Interstate-style mileage signs, but other routes.

In my day, KY 445 had one as it began at US 27 in Fort Thomas. It was white with black letters and said:

BRENT 1
SILVER GROVE 3

Maybe it was "Silver Grove 4" but I think it was 3.

I remember seeing other signs like this later but they were green with white letters. But the white sign on KY 445 lasted a long time, possibly into the 2000s.

Does Kentucky still post these signs? I never see them in urban or suburban areas anymore, but are they still posted in rural areas? And when did Kentucky switch from the white signs to the green signs?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jnewkirk77

Yup, they're still posted, but I can't remember any white signs here in the Owensboro area. They've always been green as long as I can remember. What's interesting to me is, they're not always posted where you'd think they'd make sense, or sometimes they're so numerous they're overkill ... for example, two on U.S. 60 that read:

Hawesville 9
Louisville 91

are posted about 1 1/2 miles apart, in Lewisport.  The one east of KY 657 is the right one, or at least I think it is. It's been there the longest, anyway!

And by overkill, I could use Hardinsburg as an example. Distances to Irvington and Louisville are posted just past every intersection along 60. I want to say there are four within three miles, but it's been a few months since I was up there.

hbelkins

Yes. It varies by district. District 6 was among the last to replace the black-on-white mileage signs, and there are still a few floating around out there. This one was on US 127 last October.

2016 KY 16-KY 17 clinching trip - 125 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ce929wax

From what I have seen on HB's pictures, mileage signs in KY seem to be small and cramped.  I would think it would be better for the driving public if they were bigger.  Still, it is better than when I lived in Tennessee where mileage signs were infrequent at best.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: ce929wax on December 09, 2018, 03:27:00 PM
From what I have seen on HB's pictures, mileage signs in KY seem to be small and cramped.  I would think it would be better for the driving public if they were bigger.  Still, it is better than when I lived in Tennessee where mileage signs were infrequent at best.

The ones being used today are a good deal larger and are much easier to read quickly.

seicer

There was this example in Raceland on old US 23 (bypassed c. 1975): https://goo.gl/maps/o7pq47q9UGp. It was removed several years ago for obvious reasons.

bandit957

Quote from: seicer on December 09, 2018, 11:20:22 PM
There was this example in Raceland on old US 23 (bypassed c. 1975): https://goo.gl/maps/o7pq47q9UGp. It was removed several years ago for obvious reasons.

I just used Street View to go south on Pond Run Road, and I notice there's an old sign on the left of the road that looks like the Children's Television Workshop sign they always held up at the end of 'Sesame Street' in the '70s!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.