News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old hand-painted "TO BRIDGE" signs in Louisville

Started by bandit957, December 17, 2018, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else know what I'm talking about, or if these are still around?

Back in 2004, I saw some of these on the west side of Louisville. They clearly referred to the K&I Bridge, which hadn't been open in decades. I think they just said "TO BRIDGE" though there might have been a reference to US 150 somewhere. Maybe US 31W too, but that was a long, long, long time ago that US 31W used that bridge.

I don't think I have pictures, because digital photography wasn't that advanced yet.

I like western Louisville, but I haven't really explored it since then, and I barely did even then. Anyone know exactly where these signs were?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jnewkirk77

I remember them. All they said was "TO BRIDGE" with a long arrow below. There are pics floating around the interwebs somewhere. I'll see if I can find one.

hbelkins

I have a vague recollection of them, although I have not wandered too far off the beaten path in that section of Louisville, for good reason. I actually crossed the K&I Bridge in a car in my youth, back when it still carried US 31W. I don't remember if it also carried 150 or 460,or both.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

I don't think I have any photos of these signs from my 2004 trip, though I guess it's remotely possible. I had limited photo space then, so probably not.

From the description and photos of the K&I Bridge I've seen, I actually have a faint memory of being on a bridge like this when I was very young (maybe 5). I also vaguely remember being on the current US 31 bridge and someone mentioning Muhammad Ali throwing his Olympic medal into the river from the bridge.

Apparently, US 150 used the K&I Bridge until the bridge closed. It probably dropped US 31W in the 1960s or 1970s. I have seen maps showing US 460 using the current US 31 bridge.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jnewkirk77

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.