News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on July 08, 2020, 04:46:09 PM
Although a growing number of people, including my own girlfriend, do shy away from meat. So presenting it as a date option is risky :-D.

My wife and I probably only eat steak twice a year.  I think something like that would certainly fit into a lifestyle that "shies away" from meat.  Unless you meant she's actually a vegetarian, in which case I got nothin'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on July 04, 2020, 01:18:19 PM
My wife and I went grocery shopping yesterday during a strange legal time in which (a) the Kansas governor had issued a statewide mask order, (b) Sedgwick County had opted out of that order, and (c) the Wichita city council was in session deciding whether or not to issue a local city mask order.  Whereas a week ago I estimate that 50% of shoppers were wearing masks, I estimate that 7 out of 8 were wearing them during that time yesterday.  My wife and I wore our masks, not just because of the evolving legal situation but also because we knew grocery shopping on a Friday afternoon the day before July 4 is not a good way to avoid crowded spaces.  We planned on a crowded store in which maintaining proper distancing wouldn't be likely.

Heh.  My experience described above was at what my wife and I call "the Gucci Dillon's".  On my way home from work, I stopped at the Dillon's that's actually closer to my house for a jug of milk and some tortillas.  That one is in more of a "oh yeah, and what are you going to do about it?" kind of neighborhood.  There, even with a citywide mask order now in place, I estimate that only about 5 out of 6 shoppers were wearing one in the store.

In other news, Sedgwick County Health Officer Garold Minns just announced he'd be signing an order to limit gatherings to 45 people again starting Friday.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

Quote from: kphoger on July 08, 2020, 03:11:44 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 08, 2020, 03:04:07 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2020, 03:02:38 PM
Went in my local Dairy Queen one day last week to pick up something because the drive-through was too backed up for my liking. I noticed that they had every other booth blocked off. That makes no sense. If you are sitting in a booth, your back is to the back of the person in the adjoining booth. Unless people have grown mouths and noses and can breathe, cough, or sneeze out of the backs of their heads, the virus isn't going to spread when people are back-to-back. It's not like a flea that can jump off of you and onto someone else.

It's a way for them to limit the number of people in the place and spread them apart from one another.

Also, not blocking them off would leave not much more than 6 feet between facing diners.

Our local Burger King has EVERY booth flagged as "Throne out of order" (cute). Only every other table in the middle is available for use.

They're not required to do this, Connecticut currently allows indoor seating up to 50% of normal capacity. So it was their own decision to close more seating than required. Maybe they didn't want to have to deal with sanitizing the booths, I dunno.

Functionally speaking it doesn't appear to be much of a constraint though - nobody was sitting down to eat inside when I was there.

Possibly worth noting for context that even in normal times, that dining room never fills up. Majority of their business has long been to-go.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Scott5114

Quote from: Duke87 on July 08, 2020, 09:23:55 PM
Our local Burger King has EVERY booth flagged as "Throne out of order" (cute).

Now I'm kicking myself for not coming up with that for when the toilet was broken when I was a manager there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on July 08, 2020, 04:50:43 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 08, 2020, 04:46:09 PM
Although a growing number of people, including my own girlfriend, do shy away from meat. So presenting it as a date option is risky :-D.

My wife and I probably only eat steak twice a year.  I think something like that would certainly fit into a lifestyle that "shies away" from meat.  Unless you meant she's actually a vegetarian, in which case I got nothin'.
I eat steak a little more than that, but it's mostly store bought, not restaurant. I don't actually love steak.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

I was eating steak fairly often during lockdown since it was a nice break from regular burgers and takeout food.  Then the price of beef shot up and I haven't bought it.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 08, 2020, 09:43:02 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 08, 2020, 04:50:43 PM
My wife and I probably only eat steak twice a year. ...
I eat steak a little more than that, but it's mostly store bought, not restaurant. I don't actually love steak.

Same here, I enjoy steak but it can be hard to find the right cut and cook it just right.
Best case is bliss, worst case is mostly gristle.

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 08, 2020, 09:48:09 PM
I was eating steak fairly often during lockdown since it was a nice break from regular burgers and takeout food.  Then the price of beef shot up and I haven't bought it.

Hamburger shot up to $7 or $8 a pound here a couple of months ago, but it's now back down to closer-to-normal levels.

There's still a shortage of hand sanitizer, cleaning/disinfecting supplies, toilet paper, and paper towns in some locations here.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on July 08, 2020, 05:49:53 PMIn other news, Sedgwick County Health Officer Garold Minns just announced he'd be signing an order to limit gatherings to 45 people again starting Friday.

He has also announced that he will be signing a mask order more or less identical to the one the county commissioners rejected last Friday.  At least two of the commissioners have announced that they will not be voting to overturn it this time.

Since Wichita has its own mask ordinance, which the state Attorney General has said is a constitutionally proper application of its home rule powers, I am wondering if we will now see one or both of these pre-emption controversies:

*  A small town elsewhere in the county trying to carve itself out of the county mask order (does a health officer's powers override home rule?)

*  Someone in Wichita trying to get out of a fine for not wearing a mask by arguing that the penalties in the county order override the ones in the city order

As for compliance at grocery stores, I shop at the Dillons at 13th and West, and last Saturday I did not see anyone who was not wearing a mask.  The previous Saturday, six days before the order went into effect, about half of the customers were not wearing masks, although all of the employees were.

Regarding steaks:  before the pandemic bit, we usually had flatiron steak 20 to 25 times a year, and I always prepare it by sprinkling it with lemon pepper and broiling it on both sides.  We hardly ever go out to steakhouses to eat (in fact, I have not been to a restaurant in that format for at least five years), because they don't offer us the novelty of food prepared a different way or in a different culinary tradition.  However, we refuse to buy flatiron steak or any other high-type beef cuts unless they are on sale, which they have not been since March.  With the meatpackers reeling from thousands of covid-19 cases and oil prices now going back up (beef production is very petroleum-intensive--a few years ago, National Geographic ran a photo of a young woman in farm overalls posing next to a cow and the two barrels of oil it takes to raise the cow from birth to slaughter), I don't expect to see flatiron steak discounted anytime soon.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 09, 2020, 04:07:25 PM
*  Someone in Wichita trying to get out of a fine for not wearing a mask by arguing that the penalties in the county order override the ones in the city order

Actually, as I read the county order (and I'm only now getting around to reading it), people are only required to wear a mask if six-foot distancing is not possible–whether indoors our out.  And that's true of the city order as well.  The only substantive difference I see is that the county order limits gatherings to 45 people, but even then it carves out the possibility of multiple groups of 45 using the same space as long as there is at least six feet separating the groups.

Edited to clarify:

Individuals are mandated to wear a mask if six-foot distancing is not possible, whether indoors or outdoors.  Businesses are mandated to require their customers to wear masks.  Therefore, if a grocery store customer isn't wearing a mask, it's only an infraction by the individual if six-foot distancing wasn't possible in that situation.  Perhaps the grocery store as a business would be found in violation, but it's not really clear if requiring customers to wear mask is the same thing as policing that policy within their establishment.
Male pronouns, please.

Bruce

Quote from: hbelkins on July 09, 2020, 12:44:50 PM

Hamburger shot up to $7 or $8 a pound here a couple of months ago, but it's now back down to closer-to-normal levels.

There's still a shortage of hand sanitizer, cleaning/disinfecting supplies, toilet paper, and paper towns in some locations here.

It's funny that my local Walmart is now putting hand sanitizer in the clearance section ($1 for a medium size, originally $3) because we have too much. Most grocery stores now have plenty of bottles, paper products, and masks (both disposable and reusable cloth). Some drugstores are even selling face shields.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Bruce on July 09, 2020, 05:27:31 PM

It's funny that my local Walmart is now putting hand sanitizer in the clearance section ($1 for a medium size, originally $3) because we have too much. Most grocery stores now have plenty of bottles, paper products, and masks (both disposable and reusable cloth). Some drugstores are even selling face shields.
I remember people freaking out about shortages back in March when coronavirus cases were a lot lower.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2020, 05:34:49 PM

I remember people freaking out about shortages back in March when coronavirus cases were a lot lower.

Just like people were panicking about water, then toilet paper, then Clorox wipes....  Out of all those supposed shortages the only one that really stuck was Clorox Wipes.  In the particular case of Clorox Wipes that's more about demand exceeding supply and alternatives have popped up, especially on the commercial level.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2020, 05:51:17 PM

Just like people were panicking about water, then toilet paper, then Clorox wipes....  Out of all those supposed shortages the only one that really stuck was Clorox Wipes.  In the particular case of Clorox Wipes that's more about demand exceeding supply and alternatives have popped up, especially on the commercial level.
People also panicked about hand sanitizer.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2020, 06:38:02 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2020, 05:51:17 PM

People also panicked about hand sanitizer.

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting.  By the time meat started to make the news I don't think people were willing to listen about "shortages"  again.

Scott5114

Most of these "shortages" were just spikes in demand that production had to catch up on. The toilet paper one was particularly vexing to solve because the production capacity was there, but set up to make that sandpaper stuff they put in commercial buildings, presumably because managers are afraid if they put actual toilet paper in there, people will spend all day shitting instead of working? I don't know.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 09, 2020, 07:25:14 PM
Most of these "shortages" were just spikes in demand that production had to catch up on. The toilet paper one was particularly vexing to solve because the production capacity was there, but set up to make that sandpaper stuff they put in commercial buildings, presumably because managers are afraid if they put actual toilet paper in there, people will spend all day shitting instead of working? I don't know.

All about saving a buck on office supplies.  If splintered toilet paper was still around I'm sure it would be massively bulk ordered if it was a cheaper option.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2020, 07:28:50 PM

All about saving a buck on office supplies.  If splintered toilet paper was still around I'm sure it would be massively bulk ordered if it was a cheaper option.

But of course. Why spend $5 more a month on toilet paper, when you can just reverse the hit to employee morale with Wacky Tie Day?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 09, 2020, 07:34:33 PM

But of course. Why spend $5 more a month on toilet paper, when you can just reverse the hit to employee morale with Wacky Tie Day?

Because it's the philosophy of most workplaces that everyone is replaceable and can quit if they don't like their job.  That mindset subsided for awhile with "essential workers"  during the pandemic but it sure is rearing up again now that things are opening back up. 

kphoger

A lot of businesses don't even handle their own cleaning and bathroom stocking anyway.  It's the cleaning service that puts the TP in the bathroom.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: tradephoric on July 09, 2020, 08:19:21 PM
Which stat is more dubious..  Trump saying that 99% of the virus is totally harmless or Anderson Cooper citing that the fatality rate of the virus is 4.6%? 

Well, 99% of a gun is harmless.  It's only the bullet that's harmful.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on July 09, 2020, 08:22:07 PM
Quote from: tradephoric on July 09, 2020, 08:19:21 PM
Which stat is more dubious..  Trump saying that 99% of the virus is totally harmless or Anderson Cooper citing that the fatality rate of the virus is 4.6%? 

Well, 99% of a gun is harmless.  It's only the bullet that's harmful.

Both are examples of political spin that shouldn't be at the forefront of any emergency. 

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2020, 08:01:02 PM

Because it's the philosophy of most workplaces that everyone is replaceable and can quit if they don't like their job.  That mindset subsided for awhile with "essential workers"  during the pandemic but it sure is rearing up again now that things are opening back up. 

I'd submit that the level of success in beating back this philosophy is what separates the mediocre companies from the truly successful ones.

stormwatch7721

I don't think a vaccine nor treatment is being worked on.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 09, 2020, 09:10:57 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 09, 2020, 08:01:02 PM

I'd submit that the level of success in beating back this philosophy is what separates the mediocre companies from the truly successful ones.

I don't necessarily disagree, especially the further back in time you go.  The trouble is now that treating staff like a complete crap/garbage tends to push the most talented people away to other employers.  There are some industries where that is more apparent than other.  Anything entry level tends to operate as plug and replace, that likely will never change since there is so much demand for those jobs. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.