News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2020, 10:59:28 AM
It's too bad they're using a plan written in April to decide what happens in August or September.

The most recent updates I saw on their plan were from just two weeks ago.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on July 24, 2020, 10:44:46 AM
I believe Rice University plans to return to in-person classes this fall, in phases.  But it won't be "normal college life", really. For example, disobedience to campus mask and distancing rules will be subject to disciplinary action.  They're also reworking their housing plan, utilizing a staggered move-in schedule, prohibiting even students from visiting other dorm floors, requiring students to clean their own rooms and bathrooms, giving students a specific timeframe for receiving lunch and dinner, etc.  Each dorm room is being treated as if its residents were a family unit.

Nothing less than "normal college life" should be accepted.

It's too bad they're using a plan written in April to decide what happens in August or September.
August starts next week. There's zero chance this dwindles enough for that to be possible by then.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bandit957

Quote from: Takumi on July 24, 2020, 11:10:08 AM
August starts next week. There's zero chance this dwindles enough for that to be possible by then.

Well, the B.S. needs to end. It's been going on since March.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on July 24, 2020, 10:44:46 AM
I believe Rice University plans to return to in-person classes this fall, in phases.  But it won't be "normal college life", really. For example, disobedience to campus mask and distancing rules will be subject to disciplinary action.  They're also reworking their housing plan, utilizing a staggered move-in schedule, prohibiting even students from visiting other dorm floors, requiring students to clean their own rooms and bathrooms, giving students a specific timeframe for receiving lunch and dinner, etc.  Each dorm room is being treated as if its residents were a family unit.

I fully agree. Teaching responsibility, ability to handle crisis, thinking about others?
No way!
Just set up a refrigeration trailer near those dorms and get done with it. We have too many people on the planet anyway.

kphoger

I don't buy such an all-or-nothing approach.  As so many colleges are either delaying their start date or doing virtual only, it would be quite irresponsible for one to just say, Ah, screw it, let's see what happens!

Instead, they've been devoting significant time, effort, and money into making college life happen again.  And, IMHO, some of their changes are simply a good idea anyway and should probably stick around after the virus dies down.  They might end up being a model that other institutions can follow into the daylight.

Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2020, 11:11:15 AM
Well, the B.S. needs to end. It's been going on since March.

What BS?  The virus?  The preventive measures?  The political hype?

Pretending the virus is gone doesn't make it go away.  A lot of the preventive measures should be fairly easy to deal with, the way Rice is doing things.  And don't reduce their safety procedures to "hype".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bandit957

Quote from: kphoger on July 24, 2020, 11:21:22 AM

All of it.

Sweden has done a very good job at dealing with the virus. Look at these graphs:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2020, 11:24:10 AM

All of it.

Sweden has done a very good job at dealing with the virus. Look at these graphs:

America is not Sweden.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Takumi

We have too many people on the planet anyway.
I actually agree with this statement, but I also know that letting the plague go willy-nilly across the planet isn't the morally/ethically/socially responsible way to change that.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kalvado

Quote from: Takumi on July 24, 2020, 11:28:24 AM
We have too many people on the planet anyway.
I actually agree with this statement, but I also know that letting the plague go willy-nilly across the planet isn't the morally/ethically/socially responsible way to change that.
Well, there are two ways Mother Nature deals with overabundant species: hunger and epidemics.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Sweden's numbers have recently been dropping precipitously, but they only started dropping about 4 weeks ago.

In contrast, Germany, Norway, Denmark, and the Netherlands' numbers started dropping precipitously at least 3 months ago.  Finland's numbers started doing so more than 2 months ago.

And, as for total numbers in the region...

Male pronouns, please.

bandit957

Sweden has fewer cases per capita than the U.S. does.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2020, 11:51:18 AM
https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article244429392.html#storylink=sectionheadlines

https://cbs12.com/news/local/i-team-deaths-incorrectly-attributed-to-covid-19-in-palm-beach-county?fbclid=IwAR3qMOusmGuhNDr1KcXYqs_FMayemQHABKWgW3WvbZO-8nEKaZPHYqK2dKY

See why so many are rightfully skeptical of what's being fed to us?

http://kentuckyvalleyviews.blogspot.com/2020/07/reasons-for-healthy-skepticism.html

Meanwhile our family's good friends, who developed COVID-like symptoms after having been close contacts to someone who tested positive for COVID (having been exposed while working in healthcare), have treated their negative test result as a false negative–self-isolating for two weeks despite the negative result.
Male pronouns, please.

tradephoric

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 24, 2020, 11:24:38 AM

All of it.

America is not Sweden.

Michigan is Sweden:

-Michigan and Sweden have nearly identical populations. 
-Michigan and Sweden have similar covid deaths (6,395 in Michigan vs. 5,676 deaths in Sweden).
-Michigan and Sweden both saw recent upticks in daily cases without a corresponding increase in deaths.
-Michigan and Sweden were both hit hard by the virus in the Spring. 
-Michigan and Sweden have similar looking daily death curves.

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2020, 11:54:11 AM

This is true.

Does anyone know why Sweden's numbers started tumbling about four weeks ago?
Male pronouns, please.

bandit957

Quote from: kphoger on July 24, 2020, 11:59:46 AM

This is true.

They probably reached herd immunity.

I think the same happened in much of the Northeastern U.S. and it's probably happening in Arizona now.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2020, 12:04:20 PM

This is true.

I think the same happened in much of the Northeastern U.S. and it's probably happening in Arizona now.

VT, NH, and ME are acting like the rest of the northeast, despite never getting a first wave.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bandit957

Quote from: 1 on July 24, 2020, 12:09:19 PM
VT, NH, and ME are acting like the rest of the northeast, despite never getting a first wave.

Those states probably don't have enough major cities to have many cases.

tradephoric

This is true.

My guess is the virus ran out of people to infect. I keep looking back at NYC and refuse to believe that their low numbers today is due to everyone properly socially distancing and wearing masks.  Do we really believe people of NYC are doing that much better at socially distancing than the people of Miami?  My belief is the fire raged out of control in NYC during the Spring and there is simply nothing left to burn.

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2020, 12:10:32 PM

Quote from: 1 on July 24, 2020, 12:09:19 PM

Those states probably don't have enough major cities to have many cases.

There are only a couple that top 50,000 population.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: bandit957 on July 24, 2020, 12:04:20 PM

So is that just what you want to be the reason?  Or is any scientist actually saying that's the reason?
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

This is true.

I do.  It is summer there and Swedes take their vacation time seriously, often spending it in log cabins and other types of rustic second homes out in the country.  So there is a lot of natural social distancing going on in places like Jämtland.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 24, 2020, 12:20:08 PM

I do.  It is summer there and Swedes take their vacation time seriously, often spending it in log cabins and other types of rustic second homes out in the country.  So there is a lot of natural social distancing going on in places like Jämtland.

So is that just what you want to be the reason?  Or is any scientist actually saying that's the reason?
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

I would like to mention that, as it relates to colleges, there are some that start much later than others. I know a lot of kids "go back" at the beginning of next month. That's the middle of our summer here in the PNW.

I am attending one more year at the University of Washington. Our Autumn 2020 start date is 30 Sept.

This is why, by and large, there has not been any solid news yet, with regard to moving everything or just some things online. Too many variables at play.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on July 24, 2020, 12:21:42 PMSo is that just what you want to be the reason?  Or is any scientist actually saying that's the reason?

The summer vacation season was mentioned in a Slate article last week (the person being interviewed is described as a former medical researcher).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.