News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why it's not a good idea to

Started by roadman, August 27, 2014, 10:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 27, 2014, 04:05:47 PM
it's not a good idea to name a street "Walmart Drive" because it's fucking tacky.

AMEN!!!   :nod:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mapman1071

Gilbert, AZ has a Street "N. William Dillard Drive" the street ends at a Dillard's department store distribution center

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on August 27, 2014, 10:53:56 AM
the new transit station still isn't opened yet.

It opened this morning...Assembly Station on the Orange Line, between Wellington and Sullivan Square.  It's already served by the 90 and 92 bus routes.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

MillTheRoadgeek

In the Maplewood Center shopping center near Manassas, VA, the main street through the plaza is named Shoppers Square. The Shoppers store (namesake), however, converted into an El Primero Mercado (a Hispanic grocery store concept by Shoppers) in late 2005, which converted back to Shoppers in June 2008 (with an International monkier) and closed sometime after April 2009 for various other international grocers.

maplestar

Quote from: cjk374 on August 31, 2014, 04:04:09 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 27, 2014, 04:05:47 PM
it's not a good idea to name a street "Walmart Drive" because it's fucking tacky.

AMEN!!!   :nod:

My "favorite" example of this is an area in Chesapeake, VA where there is both a Walmart and a Sam's Club. Their parking lot is off of Sam's Cir. From the main roads, you get to Sam's Cir by taking either Sam's Dr or Wal Mart Way.

https://goo.gl/maps/DPuwb

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on September 05, 2014, 06:39:46 PM
Another thing that pisses me off is when rich benefactors basically pay to put their names on the stadium. Bud Walton Arena is a good example. Razorback Stadium is another. The guy Razorback Stadium is named after had nothing to do with the Razorbacks (there is a building at TU in Tulsa named after him too.)
What's really fun is when someone does that multiple times in the same city. Good luck keeping all the stuff named after John Q. Hammons in Springfield, MO straight.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PHLBOS

Quote from: spooky on August 28, 2014, 09:40:01 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 28, 2014, 09:09:37 AM
Even more mind-blowing (at least to a layman), and this was probably covered in the Mass Transit section of this forum at the time such happened, was when the Pattison (Ave.) station for SEPTA's Broad Street line at the Sports Complex was renamed AT&T station.  There's nothing AT&T anywhere in the immediate vicinity.  In an nutshell, the station was renamed strictly for avertising (for AT&T) & revenue (for SEPTA) purposes.

Same thing happened in Boston with the Citizens Bank/State Street station, although I imagine there was/is a Citizens Bank branch near the station. The station reverted to State Street once the agreement expired.

I recall a more recent story of the MBTA trying to once again sell naming rights to stations, but no one met the asking price.
I didn't know about the T's State station being temporarily renamed Citizens Bank station.  However, unlike SEPTA's change from Pattison to AT&T; at least there was something Citizens Bank related near State Street (is/was there?).

Update: SEPTA just renamed its Market East commuter/regional rail station to Jefferson Station.  Nearby Thomas Jefferson University & Hospital was the reasoning for such (SEPTA, I'm sure, is getting some money for the naming rights); at least that station was renamed for an prominent establishment that's located nearby.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.