News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Stadium and team naming

Started by Laura, August 28, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 24, 2019, 02:49:20 PM
Quote from: frankenroad on June 24, 2019, 01:16:45 PM
Back in 1970, when Cincinnati built a new stadium for the Reds and Bengals, there was a naming contest.   My dad proposed the name Regal stadium, which is a combination of Reds & Bengals, as well as a nod to Cincinnati's nickname of the Queen City.

I thought my dad was clever, but apparently not enough other people did, as the stadium was named Riverfront instead.   That came in part, because in the media, the stadium was being referred to as the riverfront stadium (small R) just because of its location.
Chances are that (at least) some of the other people may have ended up confusing your dad's proposed name with Regal Cinemas.
Regal Cinemas was established in 1989 in Knoxville TN.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regal_Cinemas

kevinb1994

Quote from: Big John on June 24, 2019, 08:46:33 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 24, 2019, 02:49:20 PM
Quote from: frankenroad on June 24, 2019, 01:16:45 PM
Back in 1970, when Cincinnati built a new stadium for the Reds and Bengals, there was a naming contest.   My dad proposed the name Regal stadium, which is a combination of Reds & Bengals, as well as a nod to Cincinnati's nickname of the Queen City.

I thought my dad was clever, but apparently not enough other people did, as the stadium was named Riverfront instead.   That came in part, because in the media, the stadium was being referred to as the riverfront stadium (small R) just because of its location.
Chances are that (at least) some of the other people may have ended up confusing your dad's proposed name with Regal Cinemas.
Regal Cinemas was established in 1989 in Knoxville TN.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regal_Cinemas
I meant that later on, (at least) some people may have eventually been confused.

MNHighwayMan

Who is dumb enough to confuse a stadium with a cinema company?

ixnay

Quote from: amroad17 on June 23, 2019, 03:23:22 AM
Here are some more odd names for minor league teams (not just baseball)...
     - Tidewater (now Norfolk) Tides

Some are not so odd when you dig deeper...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidewater_(region)

(...)

- Lancaster Red Roses (CBA team in the 1970's).  After playing in Philadelphia for one year (1980-81), they moved back to Lancaster and became the Lancaster Lightning.

There was a Lancaster Red Roses baseball team too, once upon a time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_Red_Roses

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Roses :

"The Wars of the Roses were a series of English civil wars for control of the throne of England fought between supporters of two rival branches of the royal House of Plantagenet: the House of Lancaster, associated with a red rose, and the House of York, whose symbol was a white rose."

And from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster,_Pennsylvania :

"Originally called Hickory Town, the city was renamed after the English city of Lancaster by native John Wright. Its symbol, the red rose, is from the House of Lancaster."

It becomes clearer now why Lancaster's bus system is called Red Rose Transit...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rose_Transit_Authority

(...)

- West Virginia Power (Low A, South Atlantic League)

You've heard of "power hitters" in baseball, amroad?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

ixnay

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 25, 2019, 01:47:07 PM
Who is dumb enough to confuse a stadium with a cinema company?

Especially a movie house company founded 19 years after Riverfront's opening?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

SP Cook

Quote from: ixnay on June 26, 2019, 12:16:00 AM

Yeah, but the West Virginia Power, and their park, Appalachian Power Park, are named by their primary sponsor, Appalachian Power, which is the local electric utility in about 2/3rds of West Virginia.

Since, at least in WV, there is one and only one electric utility per location, what advertising value AEP gets out of the deal is questionable.   AEP beat out the political lobby "Friends of Coal" which was proposing "Miners" and "Friends of Coal Stadium". 

triplemultiplex

Quote from: amroad17 on June 23, 2019, 03:23:22 AM
I just visited the Savannah area (seeing my in-laws and taking in the sights of Savannah and Tybee Island) and heard on TV that there is a local team playing in the Coastal Plains League (a collegiate wood bat league) named the Savannah Bananas.  As ridiculous as the name sounds, this team is setting attendance records in the league and even won a championship in 2016.

I've heard the team name was one factor in the Dole fruit company choosing Savannah over other possible east coast ports for their shipping in and out of the US.  And yes, that includes bananas! :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

amroad17

I was always used to the Tides name--as I lived in the Hampton Roads area from 1972-94.  To others, I felt it was an odd name.

I appreciate the info expounded about the other "odd-named" teams I mentioned.  I never equated the Lancaster name with Red Roses.  I just thought it was an odd name for a basketball team.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ixnay

Quote from: SP Cook on June 26, 2019, 09:07:13 AM
Quote from: ixnay on June 26, 2019, 12:16:00 AM

Yeah, but the West Virginia Power, and their park, Appalachian Power Park, are named by their primary sponsor, Appalachian Power, which is the local electric utility in about 2/3rds of West Virginia.

Since, at least in WV, there is one and only one electric utility per location, what advertising value AEP gets out of the deal is questionable.   AEP beat out the political lobby "Friends of Coal" which was proposing "Miners" and "Friends of Coal Stadium".

I sense you preferred the coal-theme name.  Understandable given WV's history.

In fairness, it wasn't until the internet age that I learned the reason for Red Rose naming for certain things Lancaster, not having grown up there.  In fact Lancaster's current Atlantic League rivalry with the York Revolution (York, PA is the "White Rose City") is hyped as the ongoing "War of the Roses".

ixnay

SP Cook

Actually, I like Charlies or Senators, which are the traditional non-corporate, non-political, non-faux hickish names for baseball teams in Charleston.    I like Charleston over West Virginia, as the state has several other minor league teams.

The Friends of Coal took their money and sponsored the basketball court down the street at the local arena.  I cannot find a good picture of it on line, but it is probably the most butt ugly basketball court there is, a basketball morphing into the state map morphing into Depression era coal miners.  All in orange, of all colors.

Not to get political, but the only place the electric company can get money is from its customers (AKA me), and, at least here, the traditional regulated monopoly model is used.  If live at a particular place, it and only it, is THE electric company.  So of what benefit is any spending by it on advertising?

Verlanka

Quote from: Verlanka on April 16, 2019, 10:05:55 AM
With the Golden State Warriors moving back to San Francisco next year, does anyone know if they could keep "Golden State" or just go back to "San Francisco" like they were in the 1960s?
Since I haven't heard anything, I assume they're keeping the Golden State nickname, which makes since.

DTComposer

Quote from: Verlanka on September 15, 2019, 05:18:37 AM
Quote from: Verlanka on April 16, 2019, 10:05:55 AM
With the Golden State Warriors moving back to San Francisco next year, does anyone know if they could keep "Golden State" or just go back to "San Francisco" like they were in the 1960s?
Since I haven't heard anything, I assume they're keeping the Golden State nickname, which makes since.

They had announced they were keeping Golden State back in April 2018:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/golden-state-warriors-confirm-they-wont-change-name-when-moving-to-san-francisco-before-2019-20-season/

I'm sure they considered changing back to San Francisco from a branding/marketing perspective (a la the Angels changing back to Los Angeles), but 1) their brand is about as strong as possible right now, why mess with it, and 2) it would be another slap in the face to Oakland, and you want to keep as many East Bay fans as possible coming across the bridge.

kphoger

The baseball team coming to Wichita will be called the Wind Surge.  This is a retarded name, and everyone in town is groaning about it.  Apparently, the officials came to Wichita, learned some things about the area, decided on the name, and then put it to us for a "vote".  They'd already decided on one, mind you.  Anyway...

Putting two and two together with recent headlines, someone just posted on social media:  "Murder Hornets would have been a way cooler name than Wind Surge."

:)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

Quote from: kphoger on May 07, 2020, 04:40:28 PM
The baseball team coming to Wichita will be called the Wind Surge.  This is a retarded name, and everyone in town is groaning about it.  Apparently, the officials came to Wichita, learned some things about the area, decided on the name, and then put it to us for a "vote".  They'd already decided on one, mind you.  Anyway...

Isn't that the team formerly known as the New Orleans Baby Cakes? If so, congratulations, they're doing to Wichita just what they did to New Orleans.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

kphoger

Quote from: jbnv on May 07, 2020, 05:27:23 PM

Isn't that the team formerly known as the New Orleans Baby Cakes? If so, congratulations, they're doing to Wichita just what they did to New Orleans.

Yes.  Don't remind me.

I actually should have liked the name 'Baby Cakes' better than 'Wind Surge'.  And that's for the one simple reason that it's a plural.  In my opinion, all sports teams should have a plural name.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 07, 2020, 06:26:52 PM

Isn't that the team formerly known as the New Orleans Baby Cakes? If so, congratulations, they're doing to Wichita just what they did to New Orleans.

Yes.  Don't remind me.

I actually should have liked the name 'Baby Cakes' better than 'Wind Surge'.  And that's for the one simple reason that it's a plural.  In my opinion, all sports teams should have a plural name.

A headline starting with "Wichita Wind Surges..." might be mistaken for a weather report.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2020, 08:38:44 PM

Yes.  Don't remind me.

A headline starting with "Wichita Wind Surges..." might be mistaken for a weather report.

"Wichita Wind Surge Obliterates Cedar Rapids in Blowout"
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on May 07, 2020, 08:44:13 PM

Yes.  Don't remind me.

"Wichita Wind Surge Obliterates Cedar Rapids in Blowout"

Considering the Baby Cakes were once named the Zephyrs, the name choice is double-plus weird. Based on their logo, maybe "Pegasuses" just had too many S's (or excess esses).

Coincidentally, they're an affiliate for the Miami Marlins, which once shared its former stadium with the Miami Hurricanes.

kphoger

No worse than the singular as a headline.
Male pronouns, please.

Takumi

Yes.  Don't remind me.

Why didn't they just keep the name of the indie team that was there before, the Wingnuts?

* Takumi checks for NE2 around the corner
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 01, 2019, 10:04:32 AM
I'll still be saying "Miller Park" long after this new sponsorship expires and it's yet some other clumsy-sounding bullshit.

Road related:  The short stub of the WI-175 freeway that runs south of I-94 is known as "Miller Park Way."  This continues onto a surface street for just over a mile into the Village of West Milwaukee.

The Brewers requested that both the City of Milwaukee and the Village of West Milwaukee rename the street "Brewers Boulevard."  Milwaukee agreed.  West Milwaukee did not, mostly because of some dispute over who would pay for the signage, etc. 

I think the street should just revert back to 43rd Street, which is what it was prior to Miller Park's construction.

michravera

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 05, 2014, 11:44:53 PM

Quote from: jbnv on September 05, 2014, 07:23:50 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 05, 2014, 12:22:12 PM
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a franchise keeping the team name when it moves unless the name would be utterly illogical.

Absurd: Utah Jazz.
Not absurd: New Orleans Hornets.
Geographically appropriate but absurd for the NBA: New Orleans Pelicans.

Isn't jazz illegal in Utah?

LA Lakers, anyone?  In a region so dry it couldn't be settled without taking water from hundreds of miles away?  Minneapolis called and wants its common sense back.

Hornets made much more sense in Charlotte, the "Hornets' nest of insurrection" during the Revolution.

Some teams were paired nicely with another but are no longer, like the two St. Louis Cardinals, two New York Giants, Kansas City Royals & Kings, or Boston Braves & Redskins.

The best-traveling name was, of course, the Fort Wayne Pistons moving to Detroit (honorable mention for Baltimore Bullets' move to Washington).

The LA Lakers are alliterative, but geographically as absurd as the Utah Jazz. The team moved from Minnesota. They were called "Minneapolis Lakers" before they moved.

It is SLIGHTLY geographically incongruous that the Raiders would not be a coastal team, but there is enough Pirate and underworld connection to Las Vegas that we can give them a pass.

As far as the Indianapolis Colts are concerned, doesn't Indianapolis have suburbs (and, in fact, the main airport) in Kentucky? Maybe Indi is a little more famous for racing automobiles, but horses aren't THAT far away.

It would have been a great turn of phrase, if the Arizona Cardinals had been renamed the "Phoenix Phoenixes" or the "Roadrunners", keeping the avian theme.

hotdogPi

Quote from: michravera on July 22, 2020, 08:58:56 PM
As far as the Indianapolis Colts are concerned, doesn't Indianapolis have suburbs (and, in fact, the main airport) in Kentucky? Maybe Indi is a little more famous for racing automobiles, but horses aren't THAT far away.

Indianapolis is smack dab in the center of the state. You're probably thinking of Cincinnati.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Bruce

In team naming news:

Louisville's new women's soccer team has been named "Racing Louisville FC", in reference to the local horse racing scene. An earlier name, Proof Louisville FC, was rejected after it got a lukewarm reaction from fans.

Charlotte's new MLS team will be named Charlotte FC, to the disappointment of many people who wanted something more original, like Charlotte Town. Their crest is the 5th in MLS to use a roundel and 5th in MLS to use a crown. Clearly they are destined to be forever in 5th place.

Tomorrow, NHL Seattle is announcing its name and logo. It's likely to be Kraken, to everyone's disappointment (except our unpopular mayor).

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.