News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Las Vegas also has the hockey arena that could probably be used for basketball.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gonealookin

Quote from: SP Cook on April 07, 2020, 10:50:54 AM
Phoenix average highs/lows:  May: 94/69, June: 104/77, July: 106/83.  And sunset in DST free Arizona in summer equates to 10:20 EDT, remembering that the vast majority of the population lives in ET or CT. 

While the Diamondbacks stadium is domed, none of the spring training parks they propose to use is. 

At best they could maybe start games at 9AM local or something. 

In other similar ideas, the NBA is said to be looking at just having its playoffs in Las Vegas, fan-free.  UNLV has three venues (the men's Thomas and Mack Center, the women's Cox Pavilion and their practice facility that adjoin one another) : and the NHL might head to, wait for it, North Dakota. 

Las Vegas has at least four decent-sized arenas that are used regularly for D1 men's college basketball:  Thomas and Mack, T-Mobile, MGM Grand and the Orleans.

Professional baseball has been played outdoors in the summer in Arizona for many years.  The Giants' AAA team played in Phoenix Muni and then Scottsdale Stadium for decades before being forced out when the Diamondbacks franchise was born.  Tucson also had a AAA team until about 10 years ago.  There's also an Arizona Summer League which is a rookie league.  Most or all of the Cactus League ballparks have good enough lighting for HDTV broadcasts of spring training games.  It's not a very good solution but the conditions wouldn't be any worse than what those AAA players dealt with.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on April 07, 2020, 02:40:40 AM
AP sources: MLB, union discuss playing all games in Arizona

Straight out of left field

I would agree with SP Cook's prior assessment. Arizona is a dry heat, but it's still hot as hell.

Why not the Seattle or Portland areas? Perhaps even the Bay Area or Southern California? If we're talking about minimal audiences, do we really need to host the games at spring-training-level parks? Certainly we could track down 10 or 15 stadiums in those cities where games could be hosted.

Unlike a lot of other cities in the US during the summer, those cities have really nice summer weather, and decent early fall weather. Not too hot, and not typically rainy. Certainly a lot more enjoyable than Arizona or Florida, and less rainy than Florida.

Quote from: gonealookin on April 07, 2020, 12:57:21 PM
Professional baseball has been played outdoors in the summer in Arizona for many years.  The Giants' AAA team played in Phoenix Muni and then Scottsdale Stadium for decades before being forced out when the Diamondbacks franchise was born.  Tucson also had a AAA team until about 10 years ago.  There's also an Arizona Summer League which is a rookie league.  Most or all of the Cactus League ballparks have good enough lighting for HDTV broadcasts of spring training games.  It's not a very good solution but the conditions wouldn't be any worse than what those AAA players dealt with.

I don't think anyone would imply that Arizona's many baseball stadiums go unused during the summer. But they're mostly (completely?) inhabited by Arizona-based teams. For the same reason that the Dolphins might struggle in Foxborough, or the Pats might struggle in Miami, teams get used to their home climate. Asking the Mariners to play four months of baseball in Phoenix heat is asking for trouble.

bing101

Quote from: gonealookin on April 07, 2020, 12:57:21 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on April 07, 2020, 10:50:54 AM
Phoenix average highs/lows:  May: 94/69, June: 104/77, July: 106/83.  And sunset in DST free Arizona in summer equates to 10:20 EDT, remembering that the vast majority of the population lives in ET or CT. 

While the Diamondbacks stadium is domed, none of the spring training parks they propose to use is. 

At best they could maybe start games at 9AM local or something. 

In other similar ideas, the NBA is said to be looking at just having its playoffs in Las Vegas, fan-free.  UNLV has three venues (the men's Thomas and Mack Center, the women's Cox Pavilion and their practice facility that adjoin one another) : and the NHL might head to, wait for it, North Dakota. 

Las Vegas has at least four decent-sized arenas that are used regularly for D1 men's college basketball:  Thomas and Mack, T-Mobile, MGM Grand and the Orleans.

Doubt that's going to happen given that some states are considering taking over stadiums and convention centers for temp hospitals.

Max Rockatansky

Having actually attended a game at every Cactus League stadium I can attest that they are properly set up to do broadcasts and have most of the facilities MLB teams would want.  The Phoenix area has a second advantage with large hotel facilities which could be rented out by MLB teams for a season. 

gonealookin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2020, 04:44:11 PM
Having actually attended a game at every Cactus League stadium I can attest that they are properly set up to do broadcasts and have most of the facilities MLB teams would want.  The Phoenix area has a second advantage with large hotel facilities which could be rented out by MLB teams for a season. 

Since the reason the Arizona plan is being discussed at all is to get the television money flowing, I think the big problem with it would be that with virtually every game having to start at 7 p.m. MST or later due to the weather, that's 10 p.m. on the East Coast which defeats the purpose for all the East Coast teams.  If something like this can overcome the health concerns I'd think the East Coast teams would prefer to play their "home" games at their training bases in Florida.

A more likely scenario:  Some states and cities will be willing to let the teams play at their usual regular season stadiums, maybe with very small crowds.  Others may not be willing to open the stadiums at all, whether there's a legitimate concern or maybe just because of the political optics.  California Governor Gavin Newsom was quoted the other day as saying he couldn't even see California's NFL teams opening their season normally in September.  So maybe some sort of hybrid plan evolves where the California teams and any other teams barred from their homes by the restrictions play at their spring camps while the rest go to their regular cities.  There are probably some inequities there but it would get the season going, and is baseball really going to wait for the most restrictive state or city to finally relent?

NWI_Irish96

How about assigning each division to a domed stadium and just play division games the first part of the season?  Play 3 games per day (one team plays twice).
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on April 07, 2020, 06:22:56 PM

Since the reason the Arizona plan is being discussed at all is to get the television money flowing, I think the big problem with it would be that with virtually every game having to start at 7 p.m. MST or later due to the weather, that's 10 p.m. on the East Coast which defeats the purpose for all the East Coast teams.  If something like this can overcome the health concerns I'd think the East Coast teams would prefer to play their "home" games at their training bases in Florida.

A more likely scenario:  Some states and cities will be willing to let the teams play at their usual regular season stadiums, maybe with very small crowds.  Others may not be willing to open the stadiums at all, whether there's a legitimate concern or maybe just because of the political optics.  California Governor Gavin Newsom was quoted the other day as saying he couldn't even see California's NFL teams opening their season normally in September.  So maybe some sort of hybrid plan evolves where the California teams and any other teams barred from their homes by the restrictions play at their spring camps while the rest go to their regular cities.  There are probably some inequities there but it would get the season going, and is baseball really going to wait for the most restrictive state or city to finally relent?

There always could be morning games, Phoenix was usually tolerable for distancing running in the summer time before 11-12 PM.  That would also help with the problem of making sure East Coast people have something to broadcast...to an extent. 

To that end I think you're right, one of these leagues is going to go where states allow them to play and it probably won't be California.  Either way I don't the MLB can wait much longer with how much revenue they stand to lose.  Either way people who follow sports or engage in some sort of athletic endeavor could really use the pick me up even if it is TV/Streaming only. 

1995hoo

The problem is that it's impractical for teams just to use their own spring training sites because of the question of how you would make the schedule work when a division has some teams that train in Florida and some that train in Arizona. The AL West is an example that readily comes to mind for me–the Astros share the Nationals' spring training ballpark in West Palm Beach, Florida, while the other four AL West teams train in Arizona.

In other words, you could revise the schedule to eliminate interleague games and maybe even to restrict all games to in-division only, but you'd still have a geography/travel problem.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 08, 2020, 07:53:09 AM

The problem is that it's impractical for teams just to use their own spring training sites because of the question of how you would make the schedule work when a division has some teams that train in Florida and some that train in Arizona. The AL West is an example that readily comes to mind for me–the Astros share the Nationals' spring training ballpark in West Palm Beach, Florida, while the other four AL West teams train in Arizona.

In other words, you could revise the schedule to eliminate interleague games and maybe even to restrict all games to in-division only, but you'd still have a geography/travel problem.

I would assume at this point the current schedule would be blown up and started from scratch.  Really I couldn't see it being feasible without a morning/night and likely even double header rotation.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2020, 11:54:24 AM

I would assume at this point the current schedule would be blown up and started from scratch.  Really I couldn't see it being feasible without a morning/night and likely even double header rotation.

I agree with you, but still, unless you totally throw out divisions and go with a single table in each league (similar to what the NFL did in the strike-shortened 1982 season when they used a single table for each conference), how would you make the standings work if, as in the example I raised, the Astros couldn't play any of the other teams in their own division?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 08, 2020, 12:22:16 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2020, 11:54:24 AM

I agree with you, but still, unless you totally throw out divisions and go with a single table in each league (similar to what the NFL did in the strike-shortened 1982 season when they used a single table for each conference), how would you make the standings work if, as in the example I raised, the Astros couldn't play any of the other teams in their own division?

Given the circumstances I would be fine with that as a fan and I would imagine a lot of others would be too.  End of the day I rather have some baseball than no baseball at all.  If modification is what it takes to get it done I'd say do it.  The first sport league that manages to pull off getting going again stands to get a huge televised viewership out of it. 

Max Rockatansky

To that end I'm really surprised that racing circuits aren't really making a bigger push to get restarted.  The race track is essentially a closed environment anyways.  The biggest concern would be probably the pit crews more than anything.  All this E Racing stuff seems to have a decent following but it isn't the real deal. 

ftballfan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2020, 12:32:03 PM
To that end I'm really surprised that racing circuits aren't really making a bigger push to get restarted.  The race track is essentially a closed environment anyways.  The biggest concern would be probably the pit crews more than anything.  All this E Racing stuff seems to have a decent following but it isn't the real deal. 

NASCAR will probably be one of the first to restart as it's purely domestic (even if the first few races would have no or very few fans). If Formula 1 has a season, I could see them redrawing the schedule completely to have an all-European schedule starting sometime in July, possibly keeping a couple of races outside Europe at the end of the season

Alps

Beltway

It can destroy breakfast, lunch and dinner.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on April 08, 2020, 09:47:21 PM

What about brunch, linner, and dinfast?

Beltway

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2020, 09:56:21 PM
All of it will come up the esophagus.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on April 08, 2020, 10:15:04 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2020, 09:56:21 PM
All of it will come up the esophagus.

The good news is then you can always eat that emergency bacon then and not worry about caloric intake.

Alps

Roadgeekteen

The only thing it can't destroy is sleep and the internet.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kwellada

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2020, 12:28:37 PM
Given the circumstances I would be fine with that as a fan and I would imagine a lot of others would be too.  End of the day I rather have some baseball than no baseball at all.  If modification is what it takes to get it done I'd say do it.  The first sport league that manages to pull off getting going again stands to get a huge televised viewership out of it.

There's not going to be a MLB season unless it's safe to play at regular stadiums and have crowds again.  The Arizona plan forgets one thing: players do not want to be sequestered from the rest of the world for several months, nor would every single stadium employee, broadcast crew and support people.  And the second one player sneaks out to blow off steam, ending up positive for COVID-19, the whole thing is shut back down.

Sports isn't coming back until there's a vaccine and/or Covid-19 isn't a threat to society at large anymore.  (My biggest hope is that when it mutates for a second wave, it comes back wimpy and pathetic.)

Disclaimer: I would say I really want to watch professional baseball, but I'm a Mariners fans and I'm not quite sure what that even is  :spin:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kwellada on April 10, 2020, 08:24:27 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2020, 12:28:37 PM

There's not going to be a MLB season unless it's safe to play at regular stadiums and have crowds again.  The Arizona plan forgets one thing: players do not want to be sequestered from the rest of the world for several months, nor would every single stadium employee, broadcast crew and support people.  And the second one player sneaks out to blow off steam, ending up positive for COVID-19, the whole thing is shut back down.

Sports isn't coming back until there's a vaccine and/or Covid-19 isn't a threat to society at large anymore.  (My biggest hope is that when it mutates for a second wave, it comes back wimpy and pathetic.)

Disclaimer: I would say I really want to watch professional baseball, but I'm a Mariners fans and I'm not quite sure what that even is  :spin:

When do MLB players stop getting a guaranteed check?...when does that begin to happen with other professional leagues?  The XFL appears to have folded as of today, the same might be in store for other leagues that aren't lined with reserve cash.  Didn't one of the big four sports leagues talk about something like a 20-25% interim salary reduction not so long ago? 

But then again, couldn't that really be said of any business that has been shuttered right now.  At some point businesses will go under if they can't operated.  At what point does that become more damaging than the effects of a virus? 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2020, 12:32:03 PM

Ideally, it could happen; but stand-by medical staff and emergency personnel is needed in so many other ways right now.

I suppose pit crews do work in close quarters and there's travel, posing a risk. Automotive repair has been considered an essential service in some places.

dlsterner

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 09, 2020, 01:04:06 AM
The only thing it can't destroy is sleep and the internet.

And Keith Richards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.