News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

__________ is/are properly rated

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 10, 2022, 01:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 23, 2022, 02:43:10 PM
Quote from: XamotCGC on May 21, 2022, 08:09:36 PM
Cats

The musical, or the animal?

The musical and movie are underrated "so bad it's good"  quality material. 

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 23, 2022, 02:45:24 PM
Cats

I have been tempted to watch the recent movie for the "so bad it's good"  angle, which is something I totally love.  I just don't think I have the stomach to watch all the awkwardness. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 23, 2022, 03:02:36 PM
Cats

I have been tempted to watch the recent movie for the "so bad it's good"  angle, which is something I totally love.  I just don't think I have the stomach to watch all the awkwardness.

Put it this way, it was noteworthy enough to be referenced in the Rescue Rangers movie (which was way better than it had any business being) in a background scene at the so-called "Uncanny Valley."

abefroman329

Cats

The stage production is godawful, and it's hard to believe that it jumpstarted the revival of live theater on Broadway.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 23, 2022, 03:14:03 PM
Cats

The stage production is godawful, and it's hard to believe that it jumpstarted the revival of live theater on Broadway.

The play was one of the first things I went to where I really recall thinking "this isn't good."   My parents were so absorbed though which made it all the more surreal.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on May 27, 2022, 03:54:49 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 27, 2022, 03:51:27 PM
Olive Garden.
Wrong.  Overrated.
Yeah, it's properly rated.  You know exactly what you're going to get.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 27, 2022, 04:02:17 PM
Olive Garden.
Wrong.  Overrated.
Nah, overrated.  People in places like Albany, NY and Duluth, MN treat it like Valhalla.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on May 27, 2022, 04:29:36 PM
Olive Garden.
Wrong.  Overrated.
Nah, overrated.  People in places like Albany, NY and Duluth, MN treat it like Valhalla.

And those cities with real Italian restaurants despise it.

kphoger

Yep.  If that's the kind of food you're looking for, then that's exactly what you'll get.  If that's not the kind of food you're looking for, then you're justified in avoiding it.  It is properly rated, both for good and for bad.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: skluth on May 27, 2022, 04:35:36 PM
Olive Garden.
Wrong.  Overrated.

The sad thing is Albany does.

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

vdeane

Food tastes are much more complicated than "this is better" and "this is worse".  Sometimes one craves a specific food, even if there is something considered better.  I like diner hamburgers, but I also like McDonald's.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.  They each offer a different experience.  Similarly, one can enjoy authentic Italian American food and still like Olive Garden.  They're two different experiences which aren't directly comparable, not merely a spectrum of "better" to "worse".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on May 27, 2022, 06:43:34 PM
Olive Garden.
Wrong.  Overrated.

That is sad. However, the following popular chain restaurants, best described using a word like adequate or popular, are all properly rated.

Olive Garden
Applebee's
Red Lobster
Outback Steakhouse
PF Chang's
California Pizza Kitchen
Texas Roadhouse
Buffalo Wild Wings
Cracker Barrel
Cheesecake Factory

This is by no means a complete list. If it can be found as an outbuilding around malls in three different states, it probably belongs on this list. They're all mediocre generic food with a gimmick theme. Nobody's going to leave without finding something they can tolerably eat or even enjoy (maybe not vegans or celiac sufferers), even if they would normally never eat there.

They're all adequate. People who love them usually because they lack decent options or maybe were never introduced what excellent Italian, Asian, or seafood is. People who loath them are just being snobbish but it's ok to say you'd never eat there. I don't seek them out but I never objected to eating at one if someone wanted to eat there (though I might offer a better alternative). They are what they are. No more. No less.

Rothman

Quote from: skluth on May 27, 2022, 08:21:02 PM
Olive Garden.
Wrong.  Overrated.

That is sad. However, the following popular chain restaurants, best described using a word like adequate or popular, are all properly rated.

Olive Garden
Applebee's
Red Lobster
Outback Steakhouse
PF Chang's
California Pizza Kitchen
Texas Roadhouse
Buffalo Wild Wings
Cracker Barrel
Cheesecake Factory

This is by no means a complete list. If it can be found as an outbuilding around malls in three different states, it probably belongs on this list. They're all mediocre generic food with a gimmick theme. Nobody's going to leave without finding something they can tolerably eat or even enjoy (maybe not vegans or celiac sufferers), even if they would normally never eat there.

They're all adequate. People who love them usually because they lack decent options or maybe were never introduced what excellent Italian, Asian, or seafood is. People who loath them are just being snobbish but it's ok to say you'd never eat there. I don't seek them out but I never objected to eating at one if someone wanted to eat there (though I might offer a better alternative). They are what they are. No more. No less.
No, people think Olive Garden is the shiznit.  You and I think otherwise, but a whole lot of people overrate it.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on May 27, 2022, 09:55:50 PM
Olive Garden.
Wrong.  Overrated.

Olive Garden
Applebee's
Red Lobster
Outback Steakhouse
PF Chang's
California Pizza Kitchen
Texas Roadhouse
Buffalo Wild Wings
Cracker Barrel
Cheesecake Factory

No, people think Olive Garden is the shiznit.  You and I think otherwise, but a whole lot of people overrate it.

And when I lived in St Louis, most of my friends loathed Olive Garden. St Louis has a number of excellent Italian restaurants, including Tony's which back in the day was the only Michelin 3-star Italian restaurant in the US. The Hill, the local Italian neighborhood, had plenty of post-WWII money thanks to investments by local baseball legends Yogi Berra and Joe Garagiola (and a few peripheral mob characters, but we won't go there). My favorite was Cunetto's but Zia's and Rigazzi's were also pretty good when I lived there. If you don't like the parking hassles of the Hill or Downtown, Pietro's on Watson was good and where I often went when I moved to the suburbs. If you haven't had it, I recommend the toasted ravioli appetizer whichever restaurant you're in. It's a competitive thing for restaurants in the area.

On average - an important distinction - it's properly rated.

Rothman

Quote from: skluth on May 28, 2022, 12:19:53 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 27, 2022, 09:55:50 PM
Olive Garden.
Wrong.  Overrated.

Olive Garden
Applebee's
Red Lobster
Outback Steakhouse
PF Chang's
California Pizza Kitchen
Texas Roadhouse
Buffalo Wild Wings
Cracker Barrel
Cheesecake Factory

And when I lived in St Louis, most of my friends loathed Olive Garden. St Louis has a number of excellent Italian restaurants, including Tony's which back in the day was the only Michelin 3-star Italian restaurant in the US. The Hill, the local Italian neighborhood, had plenty of post-WWII money thanks to investments by local baseball legends Yogi Berra and Joe Garagiola (and a few peripheral mob characters, but we won't go there). My favorite was Cunetto's but Zia's and Rigazzi's were also pretty good when I lived there. If you don't like the parking hassles of the Hill or Downtown, Pietro's on Watson was good and where I often went when I moved to the suburbs. If you haven't had it, I recommend the toasted ravioli appetizer whichever restaurant you're in. It's a competitive thing for restaurants in the area.

On average - an important distinction - it's properly rated.

Given the entire population of the U.S., no.  It is overrated.

Michelin currently shows no starred restaurants in Saint Louis.  Tony's is just overpriced now?

Takumi

Tony's is just overpriced now?

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

skluth

Quote from: Takumi on May 28, 2022, 10:29:20 AM
Tony's is just overpriced now?

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

The old restaurant closed. It's now in Clayton thanks to the current generation of owners. It went downhill starting in the 90's.

1995hoo

Getting home from a trip and sleeping in your own bed is generally praised and properly rated. With that said, another part of returning home is very much underrated.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Disagree with the presence of Cracker Barrel and Texas Roadhouse on the above list. Applebee's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and Outback are definitely overrated. But Cracker Barrel is excellent for homestyle country cooking, and I've found Texas Roadhouse to have decent food the few times I've eaten there.

I rank Chili's and O'Charley's above Applebee's in terms of fast-casual places.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Homestyle country cooking is overrated.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.