Regional Boards > Northwest

Puget Sound Gateway Program (WA-167 and WA-509 Extensions)

<< < (3/20) > >>

jakeroot:
For anyone interested, this was the original plan for the 167 extension as envisioned by the 2006 EIS. Parts of this plan will eventually be constructed, like a full interchange at I-5, but other parts did not make it, like the weigh station or parclo interchanges at Valley Ave and 54th.

There is also these renders of several of the original plans and alternatives. A flyover at Alexander Ave in Fife, along the 509 itself (not the Spur portion, which is the only new part) was originally envision but they seem to be more interested in a RIRO there now.

Steve/Alps: as you can see from these images, WSDOT was originally calling the extension "167":

--- Quote from: jakeroot on February 17, 2016, 02:20:05 AM ---Using the WayBack Machine, I was able to access some old images from prior proposals of this extension. The big takeaway is the general scope of the project, which while still huge, is slightly less massive.

after...

Second, the junction with present-day 509, before (which did include a ramp from 509 west towards Browns Point, though it is not as obvious on this map)...

after (the scope was lessened because Alexander Ave is no longer a through road into the port)...

Third, the connection with Fife's 54 Ave, before (two proposals, half diamond or parclo)...

after (who thought this was a good angle?)...

Fourth, the Valley Ave interchange, before (three options)...

after...

Finally, the 161 junction has not changed. The extremely limited ROW has prevented them from proposing anything other than a SPUI.

--- End quote ---

TEG24601:
I certainly hope that WSDOT talks about renumbering either 509 as part of this project.  Hopefully the northern one can be 515, and the existing 515, which isn't widely known, can just just be retired or renumbered to a 18x or 16x route.

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: TEG24601 on December 05, 2020, 02:31:31 PM ---I certainly hope that WSDOT talks about renumbering either 509 as part of this project.  Hopefully the northern one can be 515, and the existing 515, which isn't widely known, can just just be retired or renumbered to a 18x or 16x route.

--- End quote ---

I don't see why we need to steal 515. It's not like there aren't other options.

I could see the following:

southern 509 Fwy: renumber entire stretch to 167
north of Fife up to Burien: renumber to 549

northern 509 Fwy: keep as 509.

KEK Inc.:
Or we can get interstate designation of I-905 for the Burien segment. 

iPhone

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: KEK Inc. on December 05, 2020, 03:11:14 PM ---Or we can get interstate designation of I-905 for the Burien segment.

--- End quote ---

Possibly, although only about 5% of the project is from federal grants, and certainly nothing from the original 90/10 era.

Still, yeah, that would be a thought especially to encourage it as a bypass. I might nominate 105 instead though, just because I'd rather pick the lowest unused number.

Only issue might be that it would be a toll. But then, issues around tolls along interstates usually only applies to existing construction, whereas this would be new.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version