News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Buffalo, NY Road & Travel Enthusiasts Meeting - July 29, 2023

Started by roadwaywiz95, October 23, 2022, 10:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadwaywiz95

Announcing my 2023 road meet hosting effort to be held on Saturday July 29, this time focusing on the city of Buffalo, NY, a city I lived in for a few years during my time at the University at Buffalo not so long ago.  It's a city with a lot to explore and talk about, not just on the topic of roads & bridges, but also when it comes to its rich history of industry, architecture, and culture. It's also a short drive away from scenic destinations across southern Ontario, including the Welland Canal and Niagara Falls. Whether you're coming just for the day or for an extended trip in order to better explore the region as a whole, I hope to see you there and hope you enjoy!

An outline of the day's events (subject to change/alteration) is provided below. Updates will be provided over the coming weeks/months if necessary:
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Pre-Meet Event: "Canalside" /Buffalo Waterfront walking tour --- 9:30 AM (bring your own coffee!)

Lunch Location: Pearl Street Grill & Brewery, 76 Pearl Street, Buffalo, NY 14202 --- 11:30 AM

Meet Tour Highlights:
Bridges of the Buffalo River & South Buffalo's Industrial Heritage
Buffalo's Outer Harbor Redevelopment & the beloved Skyway
The Shoreline Trail's Signature Pedestrian Bridge & Peace Bridge overlook
Broderick Park and the Black Rock Canal Drawbridge
Unity Island and the International Railway Bridge
Frederick Law Olmsted's Delaware Park and the Buffalo Parkway System
NY 33/Kensington Expressway and the plan to "Re-Connect"  Humboldt Parkway
Downtown Buffalo's car-friendly Main Street

***Post-Meet Ballgame: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders @ Buffalo Bisons (6:05 PM ET, Sahlen Field); seating in reserved Luxury Suite - tickets are $25/each, not including food/catering options. RSVP now! (Deadline to RSVP is July 21)

Link to Facebook Event Page for the Meet:
https://www.facebook.com/events/734567128258670/?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A[%7B%22mechanism%22%3A%22calendar_tab_event%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22bookmark_calendar%22%7D]%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3Anull%7D

Link to Facebook Event Page for the Post-Meet Ballgame/After Party:
https://www.facebook.com/events/3470577709887672
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

74/171FAN

I guess the real question will be if there will be signs all over the city about the Bills finally winning a Super Bowl.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

i won't lie, your last sentence is the single most likely thing to draw me in

signalman

jpi

Man, Steph and I will be coming back from Albuquerque NM earlier that week and will have to work that day so we are out, a good friend of ours (non road geek) lives in the area too
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

Sounds interesting!  For me it will be dependent on what other meets I'm planning to attend, when the family picnic is (usually sometime around this time of year, which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how things shake out), and any other travel plans I might end up having.  I probably won't be able to make a definitive decision until mid/late March at the very earliest.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

i personally was hoping to gun for my usual seat at 106A2 for a SWB/BUF game. We shall see
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Great Lakes Roads

Consider me interested in going! I definitely do want to explore Buffalo a bit more sometime this summer.

Laura

The MD Roads crew is in! I last visited Buffalo in 2018 when I was six weeks pregnant with Rainee and have wanted to go back for quite a while now. I think we'll need to look into getting Rainee her first passport so that she can clinch her first new country!

74/171FAN

I guess I should ask now if we are planning to enter Canada so I can move forward with getting a passport.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

signalman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 26, 2022, 09:16:56 AM
I guess I should ask now if we are planning to enter Canada so I can move forward with getting a passport.
I don't think that Dan has any intention on crossing the border as part of the official meet tour. The border crossing in and of itself and customs is a great way to get the group broken up (a car in the entourage is chosen for a secondary as an example). I'm certain that he tries to keep the potential of that happening to a minimum. Even if the group doesn't get broken up, the queue leading up to the crossing and customs can be a very time consuming endeavor.

Also keep in mind that we'd have to re-enter the United States and deal with US customs. Trying to explain why we spent 34 minutes in Canada is certain to raise red flags.

74/171FAN

Quote from: signalman on October 26, 2022, 09:27:00 AM
I don't think that Dan has any intention on crossing the border as part of the official meet tour. The border crossing in and of itself and customs is a great way to get the group broken up (a car in the entourage is chosen for a secondary as an example). I'm certain that he tries to keep the potential of that happening to a minimum. Even if the group doesn't get broken up, the queue leading up to the crossing and customs can be a very time consuming endeavor.

Also keep in mind that we'd have to re-enter the United States and deal with US customs. Trying to explain why we spent 34 minutes in Canada is certain to raise red flags.

I agree with you on that.  Hence part of why I sight clinched the NY 384 and I-190 bridges up in Niagara Falls in August (and I probably would have even if I had a passport).

Laura

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 26, 2022, 10:23:51 AM

I agree with you on that.  Hence part of why I slight clinched the NY 384 and I-190 bridges up in Niagara Falls in August (and I probably would have even if I had a passport).

So based on what I'm reading, if you ride Maid of the Mist from Niagara Falls, NY, you cross briefly into Canadian waters and you don't need a passport. We will likely do this the Sunday after the meet, which could be a really fun post-meet activity for others who are staying longer than a day in the Buffalo/Niagara area!

Rothman

Quote from: Laura on October 26, 2022, 03:16:30 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 26, 2022, 10:23:51 AM

I agree with you on that.  Hence part of why I slight clinched the NY 384 and I-190 bridges up in Niagara Falls in August (and I probably would have even if I had a passport).

So based on what I'm reading, if you ride Maid of the Mist from Niagara Falls, NY, you cross briefly into Canadian waters and you don't need a passport. We will likely do this the Sunday after the meet, which could be a really fun post-meet activity for others who are staying longer than a day in the Buffalo/Niagara area!
Prepare for the sardine walk to the elevator... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

A two-day road meet could have a second day in Canada. If that's the case, it would probably start and end there so that this would become a non-issue - you cross each way independent of the meet.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on October 26, 2022, 08:51:30 PM

A two-day road meet could have a second day in Canada. If that's the case, it would probably start and end there so that this would become a non-issue - you cross each way independent of the meet.
or in my case continue west in Canada to M-
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

baugh17

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on October 23, 2022, 10:05:50 PM
Announcing my 2023 road meet hosting effort to be held on Saturday July 29, this time focusing on the city of Buffalo, NY...

Penciling it in on my calendar now.

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on October 23, 2022, 10:05:50 PM
***Post-Meet Ballgame: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders @ Buffalo Bisons (TBD ET, Sahlen Field)

(*** - Ballgame start time will be announced at a future date. For this event, I'll be looking to reserve a Luxury Suite for the game when tickets go on sale; I'll provide more information on this when the time comes.)

As long as it doesn't fall on Star Wars Night (The last couple of years they've had it, it's been in early June).  My brother-in-law usually rents a suite that night and the game itself is usually a sellout.  The suite isn't a bad idea if you can get a hold of one.

dgolub

baugh17

Quote from: baugh17 on October 26, 2022, 11:36:35 PM
As long as it doesn't fall on Star Wars Night (The last couple of years they've had it, it's been in early June).  My brother-in-law usually rents a suite that night and the game itself is usually a sellout.  The suite isn't a bad idea if you can get a hold of one.

Star Wars night is Saturday 6/3 so that's one less thing to worry about.

andrepoiy

baugh17

Quote from: baugh17 on October 26, 2022, 11:36:35 PM
Penciling it in on my calendar now.

Just learning that my high school class is having their 30 year reunion that weekend with the main event being planned for the 29th in the Rochester area.   That said, I am still planning on attending the meet, however my presence will probably be limited to lunch and the first part of the tour.  I'll know more in the coming weeks.

roadwaywiz95

Small update here as we start to think about emerging from our winter slumber. A Facebook event page has been created and can be reached at the link below. The page itself is "public" so it can be viewed/shared by anyone who may/may not be interested in the event itself. As is typical, I'll do the best I can to keep the updates current both here and on that page so that folks are kept in the loop as well as possible. Lastly, I did invite a lot of people myself but its likely I missed a fair number of folks I'm not in contact with over there so please feel free to invite others or invite yourself if I didn't catch you.

https://www.facebook.com/events/734567128258670?active_tab=about
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Roadgeek Adam

If the demand is there, I'm open to hosting a Friday night event downtown Buffalo for dinner.
Adam Seth Moss

tckma

It's a *remote* possibility for me.

Are you planning to enter Canada during this meetup?  I have a passport, BUT I would need to notify my security office of any planned foreign travel at least 30 days ahead of the trip.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: tckma on March 13, 2023, 03:45:28 PM
It's a *remote* possibility for me.

Are you planning to enter Canada during this meetup?  I have a passport, BUT I would need to notify my security office of any planned foreign travel at least 30 days ahead of the trip.

There's no plan to enter Canada during the meet event itself.
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.