News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unbuilt CA 81

Started by Max Rockatansky, November 10, 2022, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Here's a corridor I don't think we've ever discussed on this board:

California State Route 81 is a never constructed thirty-one-mile State Highway which was located in the Inland Empire area.  California State Route 81 was defined as part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering over what had been part of Legislative Route Number 276.  California State Route 81 is presently defined as being routed from Interstate 215 east of Riverside to Interstate 15 south of Devore.  Above the blog cover photo depicts the planned California State Route 81 can be seen as it appeared on the 1970 Division of Highways Map. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/11/paper-highways-california-state-route-81.html?m=1

The Ghostbuster

Do you know what shape or form CA 81 might have been built as? I predict it would either have been a freeway, a parkway, or a boulevard. Also, assuming CA 81 had been built, would it have successfully relieved congestion on existing roads within the vicinity of its corridor?

Max Rockatansky

It was no doubt intended as a freeway considering when it was adopted.  The trouble is that there was never a formal Route adoption for CA 81 which means there isn't a ton to go off as far as what the design may have looked like.

TheStranger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 10, 2022, 04:41:36 PM
Do you know what shape or form CA 81 might have been built as? I predict it would either have been a freeway, a parkway, or a boulevard. Also, assuming CA 81 had been built, would it have successfully relieved congestion on existing roads within the vicinity of its corridor?

My main thought in looking at the planned route: this was designed as a bypass of the Riverside Junction cloverleaf (60/91/395 at the time 81 was planned, now 60/91/215).

With the flyovers there...I can still easily see some sort of alternate as being useful, but not really in current CalTrans planning.
Chris Sampang

skluth

I don't know if the N-S part of the CA 81 proposal would have been worth the cost though it would have been a nice local thoroughfare for residents from Rialto to Rubidoux. But a freeway or even a well-designed boulevard connecting the SE end of the I-215/CA 60 concurrency to CA 91 near Arlington Avenue would be very useful along with taking traffic off the 14th St/ MLK Blvd corridor. It would also have pulled a fair amount of traffic off the concurrency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.