User Content > Road Trips

Road Trip to North Carolina

<< < (3/4) > >>

1995hoo:
I didn’t mention US-360 mainly because I had no idea what the best route down to Burlington would be. It’s a nice, relaxed drive, although it’s fair to note that it doesn’t help with the worst part of I-95. Absolutely obey the speed limit in Green Bay and Meherrin. I think I’ve never not seen a cop through Meherrin.

sprjus4:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on April 04, 2023, 06:55:48 PM ---I didn’t mention US-360 mainly because I had no idea what the best route down to Burlington would be. It’s a nice, relaxed drive, although it’s fair to note that it doesn’t help with the worst part of I-95. Absolutely obey the speed limit in Green Bay and Meherrin. I think I’ve never not seen a cop through Meherrin.

--- End quote ---
Google Maps shows a 45 mph speed limit there... that's crazy. I get it is near a town but it shouldn't drop more than 55 mph. The highway looks rural. Definitely speed trap potential...

Mapmikey:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on April 04, 2023, 06:55:48 PM ---I didn’t mention US-360 mainly because I had no idea what the best route down to Burlington would be. It’s a nice, relaxed drive, although it’s fair to note that it doesn’t help with the worst part of I-95. Absolutely obey the speed limit in Green Bay and Meherrin. I think I’ve never not seen a cop through Meherrin.

--- End quote ---

likely US 501 to NC 49.  I forgot Burlington was the endpoint.  Not sure where the worst part of 95 is for this situation.  If using 301/207 you only get 25 miles of I-95 in Virginia which could be even less staying on 301 to 295 which is 7 minutes slower.

1995hoo:

--- Quote from: Mapmikey on April 05, 2023, 03:26:51 PM ---

--- End quote ---

likely US 501 to NC 49.  I forgot Burlington was the endpoint.  Not sure where the worst part of 95 is for this situation.  If using 301/207 you only get 25 miles of I-95 in Virginia which could be even less staying on 301 to 295 which is 7 minutes slower.

--- End quote ---

Another possibility, though it's probably slower than staying on 301 to I-295, would be to stay on 207 to US-1 and head south to I-295 on there. You then decide between going west to Route 288 or east to I-95 to I-195. (I took the former option in February on our trip to Raleigh for two reasons–I wanted to clinch Route 288, and we hit the area right around time for the afternoon rush hour on the Friday of a holiday weekend.) I suspect passing through Ashland might slow things down more than the two-lane portion of Route 301 would, though.

As of the last time I used it, that two-lane segment of Route 301 provided an opportunity to spot some subtle error signs if you keep your eyes peeled–several No Passing Zone pennants were pointed in the wrong direction. It's been a few years since I went that way, though, so I don't know whether they're still there.

sprjus4:
I’m still not seeing why I-85 is not adequate south of Petersburg, is there recurring congestion that way that I’ve missed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version