News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interesting Historic 99 Signs in Myrtle Creek OR

Started by xonhulu, September 25, 2010, 09:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

Awhile back, I left I-5 to drive the old 99 through town and discovered these interesting signs:

Here's a close-up of the 2nd sign:

Very odd: it's a historic shield for Oregon 99, not US 99, although they mention both routes on the bottom.  Also, the eagle has been replaced by the Applegate Trail wagon, and the word HISTORIC is added to the shield above the OREGON.

According to ODOT and signage along I-5, this road is still actually part of OR 99.  However, the state traded many old sections of 99 to Douglas County jurisdiction in return for control over the North Umpqua Highway (OR 138), and the county doesn't sign any of the state routes along these roads.  My guess is that these were put up by the town of Myrtle Creek or the county, not ODOT.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

nexus73

If you want to see how a business gets shoehorned so it can have a spot along a main road, check out the Dairy Queen in Myrtle Creek to check out how it overhangs the South Umpqua River.

Rick 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Quillz

agentsteel53

also: ick, whatever the Hell font they used on the shield itself that isn't too keen either.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

I think that's some sort of condensed Century Gothic.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.